Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #31
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
The Sony Reader is cooler than the Kindle because it has a (mostly) metal case, is uniformly thin, and keeps its intended functionality relatively narrow. Also, I like the "book-like" justification or whatever you call it where the words spread out to both edges. Is there a hack for the Kindle to make the fonts and formatting not look ridiculous?
And that makes it "cool"?? OK .... be honest, you are a teenager, right??

I don't often purchase electronics for the "cool" factor. I purchase them because they do what I want them to do. I don't see the functionality of the Kindle as being overly broad, unless you are referring to the ability to connect to the internet and purchase books without a computer. And, come to think of it .... that's pretty damn cool.

The "book-like" justification is called "full justification" ... some people like it, and others don't. I happen to be a "don't" myself. I don't find anything ridiculous about left justification, and generally use that in my legal documents.

Since you don't own a Kindle, and don't use a Kindle, why would anyone create a hack to change justification to suit you? Is a change in the justification going to make you run out and buy one?? Seriously??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
The Sony Reader is cooler than the Kindle because it has a (mostly) metal case, is uniformly thin, and keeps its intended functionality relatively narrow. Also, I like the "book-like" justification or whatever you call it where the words spread out to both edges. Is there a hack for the Kindle to make the fonts and formatting not look ridiculous?
How does metal make it better. The older Airbus airplanes were metal... now the newest ones are carbon fiber (plastic basically). The carbon fiber is stronger and lighter which is why it is being used. This material is used for the new Cirrus planes also. The Tesla Motor's Roadster has a carbon fiber body, as do I think Saab's.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #33
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
hear, hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
And that makes it "cool"?? OK .... be honest, you are a teenager, right??

I don't often purchase electronics for the "cool" factor. I purchase them because they do what I want them to do. I don't see the functionality of the Kindle as being overly broad, unless you are referring to the ability to connect to the internet and purchase books without a computer. And, come to think of it .... that's pretty damn cool.

The "book-like" justification is called "full justification" ... some people like it, and others don't. I happen to be a "don't" myself. I don't find anything ridiculous about left justification, and generally use that in my legal documents.

Since you don't own a Kindle, and don't use a Kindle, why would anyone create a hack to change justification to suit you? Is a change in the justification going to make you run out and buy one?? Seriously??
Ya took the words right out of my mouth, only better.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #34
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I happen to be a "don't" myself. I don't find anything ridiculous about left justification, and generally use that in my legal documents.
I'm also a "don't" on my Cybook. I have no problem in general with full justification, but given the short line lengths (in my chosen font) and lack of good hyphenation, I prefer left justification on my reader.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I'm also a "don't" on my Cybook. I have no problem in general with full justification, but given the short line lengths (in my chosen font) and lack of good hyphenation, I prefer left justification on my reader.
Ditto.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #36
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I'm a "do". But your reasons are good.

The good typography practice calls for full justification. But when columns are narrow (as in many newspapers and magazines), it's often advisable to use left justification instead, and even turn off hyphenation; otherwise, one gets too large and uneven interword spaces and too many hyphenated words.

Also, for full justification a good algorithm is needed to avoid too uneven spacing, and the simplistic one used by word processors (and eBook readers, I'd guess) is often not good enough. In these cases, left justification can be preferable over bad full justification.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:22 AM   #37
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
My original comments were fully justified.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #38
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I´m glad I´ve got an iLiad ... I can read whatever I convert to html/txt/pdf.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm 99% sure that the Kindle does have an option for switching a book between left and full justification - perhaps someone who owns one could confirm this? It is a standard feature of MobiPocket (which the Kindle uses) to be able to do so.

The only exception would be with books which have their justification "hard-wired" in them, but when creating a book you really shouldn't do that unless you have an excellent reason for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #40
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
if there is such a feature I can't find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm 99% sure that the Kindle does have an option for switching a book between left and full justification - perhaps someone who owns one could confirm this? It is a standard feature of MobiPocket (which the Kindle uses) to be able to do so.

The only exception would be with books which have their justification "hard-wired" in them, but when creating a book you really shouldn't do that unless you have an excellent reason for it.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A quick Google search reveals that to change justification on the Kindle:

1. Go to the "Home" menu.
2. Select "Show and Sort".
3. While the options are on display, press "J".

This will display a new set of options allowing you to switch between left or full justification for text.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #42
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

This will display a new set of options allowing you to switch between left or full justification for text.
Oh my .... I guess Spooky is just going to have to run out an buy a Kindle now.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't work with all ebooks, but left or full justification can be selected.

From inside a book, open the font menu and press ALT+J.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:

This does not seem to work.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 PM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Oh well, as I say it was just something I found via Google! Not having a Kindle myself I wasn't able to test it.

Tags
amazon kindle