Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #46
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
We will be adding an option to choose how many pages force a full refresh a screen.
Good news! This would be a great improvement.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 AM   #47
Tomac10000
Tomac10000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Unhappy Why am I disappointed by the Kobo Touch?

First post.

The new Kobo Touch is a disappointment. Picked one up on Saturday (Chapters) and returned it the following day. ePub support/E Ink Pearl display/low-price/access to more Canadian content played a part in initial purchase decision making, even though I already own a US purchased Kindle 3G+WiFi.

Why am I disappointed by the Kobo Touch?

- The touch feature does not always activate. Unreliable. It's unfortunate that no hardware page-turn buttons are on the Kobo Touch; every time I "click" to a different page on the Kindle 3, I am 100% confident the device will respond -- it has never failed. The Kobo Touch introduces a will-it-or-won't-it-turn-the-page issue, which interrupts reading flow.

- Grease and grime build-up on the screen. No hardware buttons, aside from a home-screen button and power switch, results in oil/fingerprint build-up on the display. Using a stylus reduces these issues, but for some reason, I found that touch accuracy -- registering -- actually declined.

- Font rendering and choices are nowhere near as legible as text found on the Kindle 3. It doesn't matter that the new Kobo Touch and the Kindle 3 share the same E Ink Pearl tech. Each character does not render completely black, which also interrupts flow. Additionally, some lines of text appear darker compared to others on the same page.

- Ghosting. Newer processor (or other hardware) allows quicker page turns but flashing the entire screen -- complete refresh -- happens every six page-turns or so. Depends. Quicker speed is great for marketing purposes, but remnants of text and pictures from previous pages linger (faintly) until the flash occurs. I have had zero issues with page turn speeds on the Kindle 3.

- Glitches. Sometimes text would be illegible due to fine white lines appearing sporadically. Sometimes a page-turn, or menu option change would be greeted by an unwelcome blank screen with sporadic broken GUI elements. Pressing the home button alleviated the situation, yet interrupted the reading/task.

- Side-loaded ebooks: not searchable; words cannot be highlighted; and the dictionary cannot be utilized. The Kindle 3 does not have these issues.

- Kobo can't. Although it is a feature I rarely utilize, the Kindle 3 can "read" books aloud via text-to-speech and built-in speaker.

- Time. Additionally, although the Kobo has an internal clock, there is no way of accessing the time, except venturing deep into a settings menu; a quick press of the "Menu" button on the Kindle displays the time and useful options.

Hence, perhaps a few software iterations are necessary before the Kobo Touch performs to a satisfactory level. However, the Kindle 3, with superior font rendering -- subjective -- provides a robust, reliable experience, without interruptions from disappointing software/hardware decisions, which hinder real-world usability of the Kobo Touch.

Last edited by Tomac10000; 06-13-2011 at 04:21 AM.
Tomac10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 04:33 AM   #48
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomac10000 View Post
- The touch feature does not always activate. Unreliable.
Just as almost every device I know. I plan to use stylus, when I decide
to get touch.

Quote:
- Grease and grime build-up on the screen.
He-he. Stylus?

Quote:
- Ghosting.
Yes. This one might be serious. New firmware could let you choose
if you want complete refresh of the screen. I'd vote for.

Quote:
- Time.
Heh. Cannot comment that. I do not need time on my original version,
but it's me. I guess they will not make it run on the screen all the time.

Quote:
Hence, perhaps a few software iterations are necessary before the Kobo Touch performs to a satisfactory level.
Shouldn't be a problem, if you take it as a part of the game. To me, the only
thing that matters is if the screen is readable enough. All reviewers say
"yes". Spite I don't need new reader, I strongly want one.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #49
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
First post.

The new Kobo Touch is a disappointment. Picked one up on Saturday (Chapters) and returned it the following day. ePub support/E Ink Pearl display/low-price/access to more Canadian content played a part in initial purchase decision making, even though I already own a US purchased Kindle 3G+WiFi.

- The touch feature does not always activate. Unreliable. It's unfortunate that no hardware page-turn buttons are on the Kobo Touch; every time I "click" to a different page on the Kindle 3, I am 100% confident the device will respond -- it has never failed. The Kobo Touch introduces a will-it-or-won't-it-turn-the-page issue, which interrupts reading flow.

- Grease and grime build-up on the screen. No hardware buttons, aside from a home-screen button and power switch, results in oil/fingerprint build-up on the display. Using a stylus reduces these issues, but for some reason, I found that touch accuracy -- registering -- actually declined.

- Font rendering and choices are nowhere near as legible as text found on the Kindle 3. It doesn't matter that the new Kobo Touch and the Kindle 3 share the same E Ink Pearl tech. Each character does not render completely black, which also interrupts flow. Additionally, some lines of text appear darker compared to others on the same page.

- Ghosting. Newer processor (or other hardware) allows quicker page turns but flashing the entire screen -- complete refresh -- happens every six page-turns or so. Depends. Quicker speed is great for marketing purposes, but remnants of text and pictures from previous pages linger (faintly) until the flash occurs. I have had zero issues with page turn speeds on the Kindle 3.

- Glitches. Sometimes text would be illegible due to fine white lines appearing sporadically. Sometimes a page-turn, or menu option change would be greeted by an unwelcome blank screen with sporadic broken GUI elements. Pressing the home button alleviated the situation, yet interrupted the reading/task.

- Side-loaded ebooks: not searchable; words cannot be highlighted; and the dictionary cannot be utilized. The Kindle 3 does not have these issues.

- Kobo can't. Although it is a feature I rarely utilize, the Kindle 3 can "read" books aloud via text-to-speech and built-in speaker.

- Time. Additionally, although the Kobo has an internal clock, there is no way of accessing the time, except venturing deep into a settings menu; a quick press of the "Menu" button on the Kindle displays the time and useful options.

Hence, perhaps a few software iterations are necessary before the Kobo Touch performs to a satisfactory level. However, the Kindle 3, with superior font rendering -- subjective -- provides a robust, reliable experience, without interruptions from disappointing software/hardware decisions, which hinder real-world usability of the Kobo Touch.
Welcome to MR I suppose!

Yes, there's some glitches and problems.
I was myself on the line to buy one but will wait before pulling the trigger.
We can see that for the boko or the nook as well, the system are not yet mature. We know members of Kobo team read these boards. Let's hope they will communicate and help making a better product quickly. If not, yes Amazon will probably increase its market share.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #50
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Just as almost every device I know. I plan to use stylus, when I decide to get touch.
I use a Targus capacitive stylus on Kobo Touch when I am using the keyboard. The screen is not capacitive, of course, but those old Palm styli don't work on the Touch screen. I had the capacitive around because I use it when I type on my super-duper cell phone .

It may be an age thing, z, but I'm betting that a whole lot of people who used things like Palm devices for years and years are defaulting to stylus input on newer devices. I can text with the fastest of the kids using mine.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 AM   #51
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a review of the Touch on Tumblr. The post preceding it has my first impressions. See: http://thenoodledbrain.tumblr.com/.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #52
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Can I confirm what I understand to be true. To initially use the new touch you must install the desktop app and plug in the kobo? My reading suggests you can't use until you have at least done this the first time.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #53
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
You can use the Kobo out of the box. To get your existing books on to the device, use Calibre. However, if you wish to purchase thru the Kobo bookstore, you will need the desktop program.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #54
taming
Trying for calm & polite

If you use the Kobo out of the box, you will not get the June 9 update--which is important. Subsequent updates will be delivered via WiFi or through the desktop. You may not get the $10 gift card, either, if you fail to setup the 2.0 desktop and do the update part .
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #55
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have a review of the Touch on Tumblr. The post preceding it has my first impressions. See: http://thenoodledbrain.tumblr.com/.
I've enjoyed it. Thank you

It would be a GREAT thing to have an idea of the roadmap for the KT.
What functions do they plan to integrate, etc.
When you check on kobozen, you see interesting ideas with a "pending status" but a timeline would be great, don't you think?
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #56
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
First post.

this seems like an Astorturf post. I have serious reservations this person actually owned one. As someone who is marketing and advertising for a living Astoturfing has become a very essential and widely used tool in this day and age of the internet and blogs etc. by all companies.

this one seems to fit the bill. The grime and grease build up on the screen gave it away. These types of screens don't build up grim and grease. Plus 1st time poster usually is a dead give away.
And it's way over the top the kobo can't do this but the Kindle is a dream at doing that.

Last edited by boswd; 06-13-2011 at 09:59 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #57
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Is an Astorturf post the same thing as 'trolling' becasue if it is i agree with you definitly a troll like post
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #58
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
Is an Astorturf post the same thing as 'trolling' becasue if it is i agree with you definitly a troll like post
hmm yes and no, it's usually not as aggressive as trolling, trolling can be more fanboyish but they can cross paths and are not mutally exclusive. Some companies do hire "paid trolls" and their job is to simply do nothing more than to cause trouble and just bascially be negative about a device contstantly.

Astroturfing tries to give the poster a more legitmate credibility. Sort of lure you in with trust so you find their opinions more believable.

this post seems like a classic astroturf post. Also look at how much he has responded, that's another sign as well.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #59
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I use a Targus capacitive stylus on Kobo Touch when I am using the keyboard. The screen is not capacitive, of course, but those old Palm styli don't work on the Touch screen.
One way or another, when little beast comes home, it is just a matter
of minutes to find the best handling method. I always wash my hands
prior reading. All my gadgets look just as new. I guess new firmware
version would give more freedom to the end user. No ghosts at least.
I could wait, as I wait on original reader and have no complaints.
To be frank, just one thing bothers me, regarding the reader: contrast.
All the rest it the book content.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #60
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
I've enjoyed it. Thank you

It would be a GREAT thing to have an idea of the roadmap for the KT.
What functions do they plan to integrate, etc.
When you check on kobozen, you see interesting ideas with a "pending status" but a timeline would be great, don't you think?
Well, time lines have a way of biting you in the a$$. Shtuff happens, plans change, things take longer than planned on--all the while the proposed time lines seem like promises to folks. Kobo's delay in delivering newspapers and magazines are an example of that sort of thing. They did deliver, but not within the specified time line. People were pretty upset.