Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
jdunn1
jdunn1 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
When Babies Dream -- Free coupon

Hi Everyone:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

I just published a short story I'd like to promote and hopefully get some buzz going and some reviews. This is published on Kindle, Barnes and Nobel and Smashwords but will be available on all other ereading devices very soon.

What would everyone think of an iphone app for a single short story? I think the iphone and itouch are perfect for short stories more than those devices are good for entire novels. Thanks, everyone.

*****Summary*****

Rescued from neglect, an eighteen month old biracial girl named Ciara is sent to live with Jim, a young and single white foster father who is afraid to take her at first. Over the next eight months, Ciara and Jim become the most unlikely of families until time carries both away.

Told through a dream, Ciara waits for a tornado to come for her. The tornado is strong enough to carry away but inside things are calm, just a little windy. Safe inside her tornado, Ciara finds windows of all kinds, some with fancy curtains, some even shaped like triangles floating all around her like moons. When she looks out the windows, Ciara sees her favorite memories of her life with Jim playing like scenes from a movie.

Forced to see Jim only in dreams, she relives the time when her life was safe and she got to be a kid. From the moment she was taken away from her mom to the moment when Jim was carried away, too is what Ciara sees, When Babies Dream.

A short story, easy to enjoy in a single viewing, and perfect for when you are between novels or have a limited time to read.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Babies-Dr...0153775&sr=1-1

I hope to get some reviews so here is a free coupon to read the story on Smashwords.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/6908

Generating Coupon Code for When Babies Dream:
Your coupon code is EP49S
Expires January 15, 2010

...To the extent I can ask this, I would really appreciate getting comments on Amazon, also. You do not have to buy the story on Amazon, anyone can leave a comment as long as you have bought something on Amazon, before.

Any comments via smashwords, an email to me or Amazon would be fantastic and definately help me decide what to do with this.

I know it takes a relatively brave person to read an unknown's short story but this story has been edited by a few retired NY publishing editors so I hope that gives you a little push to trust me and read these 5,000 words. Thanks to anyone who reads it.

-Jim
jimdunn7118@aol.com
jdunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Jim - It's just my opinion, but I personally don't like the idea of apps for books or short stories, as I'd rather have multiple books (or stories) under one app than one app per book. I don't want to have hundreds of apps clogging my Ipod Touch.

I'll certainly try to check out your short story soon. Thanks for sharing.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Not the sort of book I normally read - but I'll give it a look Thanks for the free read!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn1 View Post
What would everyone think of an iphone app for a single short story? I think the iphone and itouch are perfect for short stories more than those devices are good for entire novels.
Not a good idea, since people who read on the iPhone use Stanza or eReader or Kindle App. They're used to the functions of the programs, they have their preferences (adjustable backlight etc.)

But I think you might want to use the iTS as a means of delivering your story to a greater audience. In that case I'd say, just try it.
Not sure if you need to buy the $99 developers access thingie or how all that works. I wouldn't buy it, I'd buy an ePub from an ebook store such as books on board, amazon, ereader etc.

Thanks for the freebie, but I'll pass. I'm not into stories that are told mainly through flashbacks/deams.

Or maybe I'll try it, since it's a short story.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Amazon link is dead.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
jdunn1
jdunn1 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Thanks for letting me know about the amazon link.

Here is a better link:

http://www.amazon.com/When-Babies-Dr...0153775&sr=1-1

You can find this by just typing 'When Babies Dream' and my story will come up but the free version is on smashwords.

To the other poster, thanks for the "its" info. I'll google that and see what it is. I guess people could get my story through amazon on the kindle link but unless they were specifically looking for it, I do not see how anyone would ever find it.

I've been studying the different functions people like on all those readers so if I decide to go forward, I could duplicate things like scrolling and and maybe the back lit thing. Who knows.

Don't let the dream thing keep you away. It's a short story so the only mention of a dream is on the first page (maybe two pages on kindle). I do not tell the story by shifting points of view. The main character starts the story by saying she is dreaming and then goes right into the story. I guess it's really a vision quest but that doesn't sound as nice as dreams. And it's only about 5,000 words but it's not a story for everyone and I completely understand that.

Thanks both of you for the posts. Really!!!
jdunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I'd give that a check. Thanks by the way.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote