Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Concise Oxford English Dictionary - doesn't always return to text

I and my carer share the Cybook, and we recently loaded the Concise Oxford English Dictionary, which is very good for looking up words in the text.

However, after looking the word up we sometimes have a battle escaping from the dictionary and returning to the portion of text we were reading.

We have tried various procedures involving clicking centre button, right then left clicking and sometimes find it very tricky to escape the dictionary.

Probably missing something really simple here: would love to know.

Regards

John & Barney
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Use the back button on the side.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yep, that is the best way to backtrack out of the dictionary.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think it's the only way, not just the best way .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:38 AM   #5
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It IS possible: 'center button' ; 'center button' ; 'left button' ; 'center button' ; 'center button', also brings you back to your book.

But I must admit 2 * the 'back button' is much faster

I sometimes use the 'longer way' when I don't want to change my grip on the Cybook though........
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, using the back in the menu works easily if there are no alternatives for the word you are looking up. And it works with the "trick" above if there are alternatives.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I know there was some reason I stopped doing that, but I don't recall what it was. I think that, on at least one occasion, the "Back" menu item did something completely unexpected, like take me back to the library screen. That's why I switched to using the back button.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #8
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Normaly the "Back" button will return to the library only if you didn't follow a link (As far as I understand how it works) so if you use the definition function and use the back button and it return you to the library, it should be a bug...

(and the back in the menu should have the same functionality)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I take it you mean the "back" button on the menu screen when pressing centre?
and not one of those four physical button son the left-hand side?

I ask because I don't understand those four buttons at all.

If I remember right, the bottom button is supposed to be "delete" - but I could never get it to delete anything. So maybe I was doing something wrong.

If you mean the back button on the screen itself (after pressing Centre), it doesn't always take you back to the text.

If you press centre, then back to library, then the book you're reading again, it will retur you to the page you were on.

But it all seems a bit fiddly.

I'm sure it could be much slicker.

Regards

John
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andavane View Post
I take it you mean the "back" button on the menu screen when pressing centre?
and not one of those four physical button son the left-hand side?
I meant the physical button on the side. It is the one with the arrow symbol.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
If I remember right, the bottom button is supposed to be "delete" - but I could never get it to delete anything. So maybe I was doing something wrong.
You are not doing anything wrong. Delete button still doesn't work

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I ask because I don't understand those four buttons at all.
It's easy:

Top button: Music. You'll probably never want to use it.

Second button: Menu. You may want to use it in the library or when in look-up or link mode.

Third button: Back. Very handy.

Bottom button: Do nothing. It should be "delete", but it's not implemented.

So... you only need the two middle buttons: one is "menu", the other is "back".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
The menu button is used for showing or hidding the menu. It is only indispensable when you are on the library, everywhere is the four button on the left can be not used.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote