Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mobipocket output

Early adopters,

Kovid has just released calibre version 0.4.129, which integrates at beta quality my support for generating Mobipocket format books. This feature is currently accessible from your favorite command-line shell via the expected ‘oeb2mobi’ and ‘any2mobi’ with the usual options (plus a few new ones).

Benefits and/or failings over other Mobipocket-generation tools:
  • Full markup conversion. Normalizes all input into Mobipocket-specific, pure-formatting markup for as faithful rendering in Mobipocket readers as possible.
  • Standards-compliant input over proprietary extensions. No support for Mobipocket-custom tags in input, but will generate Mobipocket-specific output for corresponding OPS and OPF features such as page breaks and non-linear content (e.g., footnotes).
  • SVG rasterization. Here for the first time, but soon to appear in other format converters near you, full rasterization of SVG vector graphics. Tell all your friends – SVG is now safe and fun for the whole family of e-book readers!
  • In-content TOC generation. Ensures that generated books have a TOC, whether they want one or not. Uses standard metadata TOC (OPF 2.0 NCX etc.) if an in-content TOC is not provided by the source.

Try it out now, and post your bug reports to the calibre trac!
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Tried it out. Works really fine so far.

Will the mobi creation be integrated in the GUI (once the beta phase is over?) Oh a little btw: I generate german books, too and I might like to rename the TOC to Inhalt or Inhaltsangabe and french books (Matières or Table de Matières) Any way to do that with the command line tool?

Now the "Inhaltsangabe" is converted to "Table of Contents". That is not very elegant. Still superior to mobigen, though.

Thanks for the work. This will be getting better than Creator.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-19-2009 at 03:40 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Will the mobi creation be integrated in the GUI (once the beta phase is over?)
I believe that is Kovid's plan, yep.

Quote:
Oh a little btw: I generate german books, too and I might like to rename the TOC to Inhalt or Inhaltsangabe and french books (Matières or Table de Matières) Any way to do that with the command line tool?
Wow, such a typical American mistake. There is not at this time, but I'll correct that this evening.

Quote:
Thanks for the work. This will be getting better than Creator.
Glad you find it useful.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Early adopters,

Kovid has just released calibre version 0.4.129, which integrates at beta quality my support for generating Mobipocket format books. This feature is currently accessible from your favorite command-line shell via the expected ‘oeb2mobi’ and ‘any2mobi’ with the usual options (plus a few new ones).

Benefits and/or failings over other Mobipocket-generation tools:
  • Full markup conversion. Normalizes all input into Mobipocket-specific, pure-formatting markup for as faithful rendering in Mobipocket readers as possible.
  • Standards-compliant input over proprietary extensions. No support for Mobipocket-custom tags in input, but will generate Mobipocket-specific output for corresponding OPS and OPF features such as page breaks and non-linear content (e.g., footnotes).
  • SVG rasterization. Here for the first time, but soon to appear in other format converters near you, full rasterization of SVG vector graphics. Tell all your friends – SVG is now safe and fun for the whole family of e-book readers!
  • In-content TOC generation. Ensures that generated books have a TOC, whether they want one or not. Uses standard metadata TOC (OPF 2.0 NCX etc.) if an in-content TOC is not provided by the source.

Try it out now, and post your bug reports to the calibre trac!

Can't wait to try it!!!!!!!!!
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are not a huge number of ePubs from commercial sources without DRM, but those that do exist provide a relatively wide range of ePub styles for testing. I looked at some of them from a chapter heading viewpoint in Ebook page design. So I tried using any2mobi (default settings) on these examples. About half failed, and I'll post bug reports on calibre trac. One surprise was that all three FeedBooks ePubs I tried failed to work. FeedBooks has its own MOBI option, but we should still be able to convert their ePub to MOBI.

The attached screenshots are from the original ePub (Adobe Digital Editions) and the any2mobi MOBI (Windows MobiPocket Reader).

Appleton's Alice's Adventures is from Adobe's free library. It works well except for color in the chapter header and quotation marks and other special characters which are not displayed correctly (wrong encoding?). MobiPocket isn't capable of wrapping text round an image, so that lack isn't any2mobi's fault.

One of the two Penguin samples I tried failed, the other worked very well except for indenting the start of paragraphs. Penguin's have embedded fonts, which are not being transfered. So far as I can tell, the ebook is just using the reader selected font (Times New Roman).

Rosetta's Red Alert is also in Adobe's free library. Its chapter header isn't transfering well, but the rest looks good except for the indenting of the 1st paragraph.

The threepress Huck Finn again has paragraph indent issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE_Chap_Appleton.gif
Views:	1142
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	21752   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_Chap_Appleton.jpg
Views:	1069
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	21753   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE_Chap_Penguin2.gif
Views:	1023
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	21754   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_Chap_Penguin2.jpg
Views:	971
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	21755   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE_Chap_Rosetta.gif
Views:	950
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	21756   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_Chap_Rosetta.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	21757   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE_Chap_threepress.gif
Views:	912
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	21758   Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_Chap_threepress.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	21759  

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-19-2009 at 01:38 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Appleton's Alice's Adventures is from Adobe's free library. It works well except for color in the chapter header and quotation marks and other special characters which are not displayed correctly (wrong encoding?).
Doh!, color! I forgot to add that to my written oeb2mobi todo list and apparently thus forgot to add color support to oeb2mobi. Watch for it in a later release...

I actually had tested converting that edition of Alice, but only with oeb2mobi. It's possible I introduced a regression, or that the error is in the any2* plumbing... I'll take a look this evening.

Quote:
One of the two Penguin samples I tried failed, the other worked very well except for indenting the start of paragraphs.
The extra spacing is added by the any2* option '--remove-paragraph-spacing'. Which, um, presently seems to be on by default with no way to turn it off. Kovid, am I missing something?

Quote:
Penguin's have embedded fonts, which are not being transfered. So far as I can tell, the ebook is just using the reader selected font (Times New Roman).
Mobipocket doesn't support font-embedding, so not much to be done there.

Quote:
Rosetta's Red Alert is also in Adobe's free library. Its chapter header isn't transfering well, but the rest looks good except for the indenting of the 1st paragraph.
No idea why that's happening... I'll have to grab a copy and see what's up.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
The extra spacing is added by the any2* option '--remove-paragraph-spacing'. Which, um, presently seems to be on by default with no way to turn it off. Kovid, am I missing something?
Typo, fixed. Now off by default. You can turn it off with
opts.remove_paragraph_spacing = False
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mobipocket doesn't support font-embedding, so not much to be done there.
It does in principle support specifying the font, which would presumably work if the font is available on the device. However, MobiPocket strongly recommends against specifying the font so perhaps this is an area best left alone.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
It does in principle support specifying the font, which would presumably work if the font is available on the device. However, MobiPocket strongly recommends against specifying the font so perhaps this is an area best left alone.
Absolutely, as the Mobi readers are spread over a wide range of OS's, the result tends to be quite desastrous if a font is not present in the system (I once saw a book in glorious Courier!)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Huh. I just fired up ADE on a Windows VM and grabbed Red Alert, but the version I was able to download is DRMed. So the mystery of the missing headers must live on...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Huh. I just fired up ADE on a Windows VM and grabbed Red Alert, but the version I was able to download is DRMed. So the mystery of the missing headers must live on...
Perhaps you got the PDF version. The ePub is here. All Adobe's sample ePubs are here.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Perhaps you got the PDF version. The ePub is here. All Adobe's sample ePubs are here.
Nope, that's the URI I downloaded from, and what it netted me is a DRMed EPUB. It oddly enough did have a ".pdf" extension, but examining the file itself showed it to be a ZIP archive with the proper EPUB trappings plus a META-INF/encryption.xml covering all the files, all of which are in fact Adept DRM encrypted.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Version 0.4.130 has integrated MOBI output into the GUI. It should be working for all file types except comics.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes it does, and it's great already!

Problems:

1 - image of the eBook cover, shows in the Cybook, does not show in Mobipocket Reader for the Desktop and for the PokectPC;

2 - it would be great if existed and option to compress the mobi file - mobipocket creator has 3 levels and if the 3th (high compression) takes a lot of time and it’s good just for compressing dictionaries, the 2th (standard compression) is acceptable and cuts the size of the eBook in half at least.

I understand that using any2mobi in command line one can do the compression I ask in (2), so I think is a question of time.

Let me say, it’s now outstanding stable and creates great files.

Thank you for the hard work put into this,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:47 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
1 - image of the eBook cover, shows in the Cybook, does not show in Mobipocket Reader for the Desktop and for the PokectPC;
When I had this problem with MobiPerl it was because I had not set the correct pointers in the MobiHeader.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote