Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
directories

I returned my Glo because of the terrible sorting system. I've been informed by a member of this forum that bookeen supports maps/directories.

I have some questions, I want to be 100% sure about this device before I buy it, or I'll just continue reading on my tablet:

1: can you directly copy the treestructured maps from explorer onto the device, or you have to make them on the device?
2: Is it possible to sort by filename, or does bookeen also use the metadata?
3: what, if any, are the negative sides of Bookeen (battery, freezing, bad updates,....).

thanks, Ripper
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
1: can you directly copy the treestructured maps from explorer onto the device, or you have to make them on the device?
2: Is it possible to sort by filename, or does bookeen also use the metadata?
3: what, if any, are the negative sides of Bookeen (battery, freezing, bad updates,....).
point 1 : what do you mean ?
point 2 : Memory serve me right there's an option for that. But my odyssey being at booken for a fix.
point 3 : battery hold less that the T1. Still hold ok.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant if its possible to copy the maps the way they are on my computer.
with treestructure, not like those 1-dimensional bookshelves.

like this:

Horror
-----Stephen King
------------------The dark tower
-----Clive Barker
-----Random
Novels
-----george orwell
------------------Essays
------------------Novels
-----Chuck Palahniuk
etc...

thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
I was that member wasn't I. (point 1) To the best of my knowledge and understanding you can drag and drop folder containing other folders inside it right onto Cybook. My Opus sorts book titles in alphabetical order, I never tried other sorting but there are a few to choose from.
You can sort by (I especially went to settings to check this for you):
title
file size
file name
file date
file path

You cannot create new folder on Opus in the way you create collection or shelf on others. You have to copy paste it from computer.

Right now I have this structure
Cybook
---Digital Editions
---eBooks
---My Books:
-------English
-------Other
-------New:
-----------Various
-------Read 2012
---Pictures

I only talk about Opus because that is what I have. I believe though (emphasis on believe) newer Cybooks follow the same structure.

I had 2x Opus. Pink one I gave away never froze or caused problems. The black one I kept occasionally "stays connected" when I unplug it from computer. I have to disconnect the battery to fix it. Doesn't happen very often though.
I recently added Charis font on it, which someone here posted, it is a bit heavier than Georgia.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, if you copy/past folders, they will be displayed "as is" on the odyssey. (if you check the folder view option) That's the main reason i mean to get an Odyssey HD rather than KoboGlo. And the turn page buttons.
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Bookripper
Connoisseur

OK thanks guys. Apparently not a lot of people here think it's a problem that an e-reader manufacturer advertises his device as 30.000+ capacity, when in reality it cant even sort 1000. I'm glad there is at least 1 brand that accepts my/our way of thinking...

Last edited by Bookripper; 10-28-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard

If you mean to put that much books, activate folder view before !

Also, at first start the odyssey read the metadata and generate thumbnails. So, putting lots of books at once might not be a good idea.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Bookripper
Connoisseur

I won't add 30.000 books, "only" a selection of around 2500. Ok, so I'll activate folder view first, and then add books map per map to be on the safe side.
I'll first have to wait until the Oddyssey Frontlight is available though... The only thing I really don't like about it is the 800 MHz processor, The maximum speed for a Cortex A8 cpu is 1.2 GHz.
And since, according to Bookeen, this is to be the latest and the best E-reader, they at least could have opted for 1GHz, like kobo (at least something they got right)...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Fourvin
Enthusiast
Fourvin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey 2011, PocketBook Touch Lux
@Bookripper,
I don't quite understand your approach, and I am afraid you are trying to use a reader, or at least Odyssey, for what it is no made for.

Apparently, you would like to sort and structure your documents according to criteria that are not consistent: in your example, you segregate "Horror" and "Novels" (!), but you also classify "Essays" in your overall "Novels" category. This hierarchical structure prevents you from managing documents that would belong to several categories (e.g. historical horror novels...), or Stephen King from having written an essay on modern horror literature.

So why don't you just manage labels in Calibre, which allows to manage absolutely anything in terms of information, forget about the tree-structure, and just use Odyssey with the four unquestionable available information: title, author, file name and file size ?
Fourvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
So why don't you just manage labels in Calibre, which allows to manage absolutely anything in terms of information, forget about the tree-structure, and just use Odyssey with the four unquestionable available information: title, author, file name and file size ?
I understand Bookripper. I don't like collections, becasue they requiers some software to manage. Calibre won't put the files where I want them. Making the library un-usable outside of calibre itself.
If you've spent time sorting your books in folders, you don't want to do it all again in calibre.

There is no standard for collection, so it's a mess.

Plus the odyssey being unable to use any kind of collection... If no folder, it will display the list as is, hard to find a book then.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-29-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Fourvin
Enthusiast
Fourvin began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Odyssey 2011, PocketBook Touch Lux
OK, I get your point, and I agree with your approach, even though I do not use my IT tools the same way.

To get back to the original question, and as already stated above, you can just drag and drop into your Odyssey whatever folder tree you have set up on your PC. Then on the Odyssey, you can browse your library using the folder display ("Affichage par dossier" in French...), therefore you can navigate the way you have chosen.
Fourvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Yep, that's my point. I don't want to redo all my books in Calibre. They are sorted fine already. And even if I do all this work, I would STILL be dependant on some retarded bookshelve system... Yawn.
On some Kobo-topic, I really get attacked on this point of view. People telling me that you only "need" 25 books on your reader. Thats just ridiculous. Why spend extra money on a Reader with an SDcard-Slot then? It doesn't make sense. they just want the latest stuff but dont care if it has crap software, version after version after version.
I think it's just a difference in the way people are. Sheep vs independant.

I have this attitude with all my devices. Mp3players that only read ID tags? Ipod? Ipad? Kobo? Kindle? For me thats all garbage, and I call it like I see it. Sorry if anyone's feelings are hurt, but I want stuff I can use the way they advertise it. It's not like it's for free.
I know I can't expect Open Source on everything, but at least I want something workable.

Especially the latest batch of E-readers, all claiming to have 30.000 book libraries, are getting on my nerves. It's 2012. Windows '95 had a better sorting system than the so-called crème de la crème of current E-readers. And 90% of the forum keeps on supporting that stuff.... crazy...
Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Ah ah. That deserve some karma bookripper.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
Bookripper
Connoisseur

We should start a Poll! Something like this:

"BOOKSHELVES ARE CRETINOUS"

A: Hell Yes, it's a mess!
B: Hell No, I love my Kobo!
C: Only when my Hemorrhoids are acting up.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Yeah, i found an other person to rant about bookshelves

More seriously, it have it adventages, some standard for this would be cool, as an addition to folder view, not a replacement.