Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What type of device do you most like to read books on?
LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc) 35 13.62%
E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc) 200 77.82%
Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc) 8 3.11%
Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc) 1 0.39%
Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc) 1 0.39%
Other (please specify) 11 4.28%
I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway 1 0.39%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Favorite Book Reading Device

What type of device do you most like to read books on?
  • LCD Tablet (iPad, Kindle Fire, Nook Tab, Galaxy Tab, etc)
  • E Ink eReader (Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Sony, etc)
  • Smartphone (iPhone, Android, Windows, etc)
  • Media Player (iPod touch, Galaxy Player, etc)
  • Computer (desktop, laptop, ultrabook, netbook, etc)
  • Other (please specify)
  • I don't read books, but like to hang out here anyway
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer eink ereaders. LCD displays bother my eyes for extended reading. They're fine for magazines and short stories, though. My favorite ereader is the Kindle 4, because it fits my reading style so well.

I look at ereaders as electronic paperbacks. All I do is read. I don't use any of the features like underlining, highlighting, bookmarking, dictionary, etc. When I'm done with the book, chances are I'll never read it again.
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
I have gone from a tablet preference to e-reader. I do a lot of reading at night and also at sub-optimal lighting levels and, until recently, I preferred tablets for those situations. Now with the front lit glow technology my preference is back to e-readers.

The main favorable points for me regarding e-readers are size, weight, portability and battery life. Although I do intend to keep a tablet as well. No device can claim to be the best device for all situations.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Although I have an eInk device (two actually), I prefer to use my tablet (Transformer Infinity).

I find it to be more versatile that my eInk reader, as I can have access to multiple ebook formats. Also with some books that have been heavily worked on, there can be a lot of content that doesn't show as well, such as fonts, graphics, etc, this makes the use of a tablet to.

I know a lot of people have problems using LCD devices for reading over long periods, but this doesn't effect me.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 10-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
iPad 3 here.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I like reading on my Nexus 7.
It's very light and thin and I can hold it a long time without getting fatigued. I just wish it had an external SD card slot in case I need more storage at some time in the future.

(I recently tried out a friend's iPad and it seemed big and clunky, and weighed a ton in comparison)
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I like my Nook Color because I read a lot in dim or dark places.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I like my Nook Color because I read a lot in dim or dark places.
Apache
Are you hiding in caves trying to avoid capture by the cavalry?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
It's eInk for me. I have no problem reading on my iPad, but eInk is my number 1 (for weight, size and battery-life reasons).
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
It's hreally difficult to say which is my preference. I think the edge goes to my NT, then my Sony 700. Since my Sony has a built in light, lighting isn't really an issue, but reading outdoors is an issue.

For Reading outdoors and when my NT is charging, my Sony is perfect. For ebook capacity, font versatility, and dim light situations my NT is perfect.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
eInk for me. As well as preferring the screen for long reading sessions, I don't have to worry about the battery dieing at 3 a.m.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Definitely eInk - Kindle Paperwhite now, but I was also very happy with my Kindle 3.

I gave my (first generation) iPad a fair chance to win me over before getting the Kindle, reading two full books on it, and then went back to my old Sony 505. I've also tried reading on my phone (Samsung Galaxy SII) - it will do in a pinch, like if I'm stuck somewhere for a while and don't have the Kindle with me, but it's not going to be my first choice when I have a choice.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I voted LCD Tablet as my favorite book reading devices, however my essential book reading devices are pictured below.

5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Definitely my PRS-650 but I do find my Xperia S smartphone quite usable as well.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #15
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
My PRS-650, however, I have been known to use my iphone 4S if I'm only reading for a few minutes in a waiting room or something.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote