Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
First ever Harry Potter e-books tied to new Sony reader

The Reg has this on the new Sony reader and the Harry Potter ebooks:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...r_sony_reader/

I cannot decide if this is a good thing. It will certainly boost the price of the Sony.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Wow.

That's one hell of a coup... Well played, Sony.

(But I'm still not gonna buy one.)
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Dang. That'll just make the darn things harder to get.

But if this is the 'special feature' and not integration with Google Books, I don't want one anyway.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Dang. That'll just make the darn things harder to get.

But if this is the 'special feature' and not integration with Google Books, I don't want one anyway.
I don't see the fad with Google Books myself. But I'd love to see/hear more about those readers....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Interesting. When they say "bundled with" new Sony readers, do they mean that the books are preloaded? If so, will the owner be able to pull the books off and back them up on Calibre?

If so, Pottermore is committing the cardinal error of letting the pirate market (i.e., the ones pulled off the official readers) have (another) HUGE head-start on the legitimate market. However, since Rowling is apparently giving all (Sony) exclusive-early-rights money to charity anyway, I guess she won't care.

Also: Considering that Sony devices are the best PDF handlers on the market, imho, this gives weight to Elfwreck's belief that the books will be PDF format...
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I just want to see the new Sonys. I don't care if it comes pre-bundled with a puppy and a box of chocolate (I take that back, I totally care about chocolate).

I'm especially interested to see if they have lowered the price point.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Well... I didn't see that one coming. Wonder how the pricing is going to be on those.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
So, are the HP ebooks ONLY available in 2011 if you buy a new Sony ereader? And will not be available for purchase by readers who already own a Sony ereader? I wasn't clear after reading the article, but it sure sounded like a true "package deal" - which could tick off a lot of folk who currently own Sony ereaders and had no plan to buy a new one.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am excited to see more about this. I have a Sony Reader I am very happy with and I am a HP fan so this is just down my alley
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
So, are the HP ebooks ONLY available in 2011 if you buy a new Sony ereader? And will not be available for purchase by readers who already own a Sony ereader? I wasn't clear after reading the article, but it sure sounded like a true "package deal" - which could tick off a lot of folk who currently own Sony ereaders and had no plan to buy a new one.
That's how I interpret the article.

If you want the books in 2011, you must buy a new Sony.
If you can wait until 2012, you can buy them through Pottermore.

Not a deal I'm particularly pleased with. I don't really want authors "revolutionizing" the ebook industry -- just sell your books on Amazon and B&N and Kobo like everyone else, would be my vote, if this were up for a vote, which it's not, of course. Ah well.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I am excited to see more about this. I have a Sony Reader I am very happy with and I am a HP fan so this is just down my alley
I have a Sony Reader, too, but I wasn't planning to buy ANOTHER one this year. That's a key point -- I think these are "true" bundles, i.e. "only with a new reader", not "available through the Sony store with the Reader program installed on your PC".
Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Beta testing for Pottermore opened yesterday; in time Potter e-books will be sold via the site (rather than through etailers such as Amazon) but this won't happen until 2012. Until it does, the only way to buy digital-format wizardry will be with a Sony device.
Mmmm What ????? I really really hope that's not true, or there will be no HP e-books for me, even when finally sold out of the bundle. (And I'm a HP fan at heart).
I might buy a bundle. An HP theme sony reader why not. Though i would not go for just a sony reader with the books on it, but only if the books are available in the "normal" way.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Huge marketing coup for Sony for the holiday season.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I was already planning on getting a Harry Potter-branded Sony Reader if they release one. However, I think not releasing the ebooks for mass consumption at the same as the Sony Reader bundle is a bad idea.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I think it's a brilliant move on Sony's part. What could Kindle do to counter, I wonder? Maybe offer different genre editions with a selection of mysteries, a science fiction edition, a western edition, a romance edition, etc. Picking the books would be a chore, but magazines are fond of doing "100 best" lists so those lists could be a start.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote