Old 10-31-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
rcharbon
Indie author
rcharbon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle WiFi/iPhone
Mark books as read

In Calibre, how can I:
-Easily mark a book as "read".
-Hide read books (or unhide them) when viewing a list of books (for example, I would like to be able to hide read books when viewing all books, or books by a single author

I can add a 'read' tag if needed, but using tags to view/hide read books appears to require writing a custom search for each view, which is too cumbersome.

Last edited by rcharbon; 10-31-2011 at 04:46 PM.
rcharbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
rcharbon
Indie author

Never mind.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
You said Nevermind, what method did you end up using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcharbon View Post
I can add a 'read' tag if needed, but using tags to view/hide read books appears to require writing a custom search for each view, which is too cumbersome.
After adding the Read tags there is no special writing of custom search required, simply clicking in the Tag browser on the tag "Read" twice so it shows a minus will show you only Unread books. Save this search (right side of calibre search bar) as Un-Read and you can simply click the Restrict to dropdown (left side of calibre search bar) and choose your Un-Read saved search to restrict you library view and activities to just unread books. Definitely not "too cumbersome."

Good Luck
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I just use a Yes/No column for the read status of each book, and when I'm done just set it to be ticked off. That was it also works easily with searching, as well as being orderable.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
That's exactly what I do. A simple yes/no column - easily orderable. Looks like this:

mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
That's exactly what I do. A simple yes/no column - easily orderable.....
i like text w/color better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibrePNG.PNG
Views:	1548
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	78497  
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
rcharbon
Indie author

None of these suggestions meet the goal of hiding "read" books in any view. A "yes/no" column is better than tagging for marking items read, but doesn't let you hide books. Hiding books by tag only works when you're looking at the entire list of books. If you want to only see books by a certain author, and also hide read books, you need a custom search for each author.

I decided to move read books into a separate library for now. It's also a less than ideal solution, but meets the primary goal of getting read books out if the way in any view without losing them entirely.

Marking books as read and hiding read books seem like obvious functions that shouldn't require indirect methods. Apparantly I need to file a bug report to make suggestions...
Old 11-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
None of these suggestions meet the goal of hiding "read" books in any view.
Post 3 explains using restricted view.

Quote:
Hiding books by tag only works when you're looking at the entire list of books. If you want to only see books by a certain author, and also hide read books, you need a custom search for each author.
Wrong read post 3 again. If you restrict the view to hide read books then the entire library will act as if read books do not exist in your library.

Quote:
I decided to move read books into a separate library for now. It's also a less than ideal solution, but meets the primary goal of getting read books out if the way in any view without losing them entirely.
There is no need for a separate library, but a separate library will work. It essentially gives you exactly what you would see in a restricted view, but whatever works for you.

Quote:
Marking books as read and hiding read books seem like obvious functions that shouldn't require indirect methods. Apparantly I need to file a bug report to make suggestions...
File a bug report if you want, but Kovid will tell you (as explained above) that this is already a feature, see attached for a restricted view example.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	restricted_search.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	78600  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-04-2011 at 08:07 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
None of these suggestions meet the goal of hiding "read" books in any view. A "yes/no" column is better than tagging for marking items read, but doesn't let you hide books. Hiding books by tag only works when you're looking at the entire list of books. If you want to only see books by a certain author, and also hide read books, you need a custom search for each author.

You need to take some more time with Calibre's supreme flexibility.

Your way just works:
Dwanthny's (and mine) is poetry in action.

Those saved searches restrict the view to the (yellow marked number) of titles.
All the rest of the power of Calibre now works on just THOSE .

So if you have you Not Read Filter in force:
and you select the Really Bad Puns tag, you see those books by Piers Anthony and Robert Aspirn that you have not suffered through

BTW I keep 'Empty books' to document my DT Library so my filter also includes formats:EPUB (has to have my favorite format E-book attached)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	notRead_filter.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	78607  
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
rcharbon
Indie author

Thanks for clarifying "Restrict to: I still think that makring books as read should be a core function of the app, but whatever.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
I still think that makring books as read should be a core function of the app, but whatever.
Would you require tracking of multiple readers? Would you track date read? For each different person (husband wife/kids) who reads? Would you track in process of being read, percentage read or only when finished?

A hard-coded "marking books as read" probably won't fit the needs of everyone. I prefer calibre's current design strategy of providing excellent flexible tools to track whatever metadata the user wants to track. Yes, it takes more effort, but that's one way calibre differs from other software - it gives more power to the user and the cost is, as usual, a bit more effort by its users.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Mhaly
Mhaly began at the beginning.

Device: i62 HD Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
After adding the Read tags there is no special writing of custom search required, simply clicking in the Tag browser on the tag "Read" twice so it shows a minus will show you only Unread books. Save this search (right side of calibre search bar) as Un-Read and you can simply click the Restrict to dropdown (left side of calibre search bar) and choose your Un-Read saved search to restrict you library view and activities to just unread books.
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but since I ended up here from google and I don't feel like it's worth to make a new thread...there it goes:

Is there any way to make Calibre remember the "restrict to dropdown" selection? I want to see my library minus some books I've tagged as "College" without having to select the "restrict to" everytime I execute the program.

I guess that if there's no workaround for this I could still make a second Calibre library and move everything from "College" there?

Thanks.

PS: Forgive my english.

Last edited by Mhaly; 04-05-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Mhaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhaly View Post
Is there any way to make Calibre remember the "restrict to dropdown" selection? I want to see my library minus some books I've tagged as "College" without having to select the "restrict to" everytime I execute the program.
Preferences->Behaviour>Restriction to apply when the library is opened

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #14
Mhaly
Mhaly began at the beginning.

Device: i62 HD Firefly
Thanks m8. I didn't see that option when I checked for something like that.
Mhaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I went with custom 'read' column and virtual library for not read books. Thanks!
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote