Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Need an answer from someone with an iPad...

At the moment, I'm using my PRS 505 for my main reading, and my iphone with Stanza for where I can't or won't take the 505.

As you probably know, Apple made the makers of Stanza remove the ability to transfer books via USB, and I guess now with the new iBooks store, the reason for that is obvious...

After reading about the hoops I had to jump through to transfer via wifi, email etc, I decided instead to simply download an older version of Stanza.

I now have it working ok, but with one caveat...
For some reason, Stanza will spit its pacifier out if I try to transfer more than one book at a time.
This means that I have to go through a ritual to get books onto it:

Drag one book into the Stanza folder
Launch Stanza on the iphone
Wait for Stanza to process the book
Close Stanza
Drag the next book into the stanza folder....

As you can probably imagine, this is pretty tedious when transferring more than a handful of books.

I've been looking at the new iBooks app with interest, as it will soon be available for the iphone.
This should be great, as I'll be able to transfer books by simply dragging them into iTunes.

The only concern that I have is the iBooks 'bookshelf' menu for choosing books.
With Stanza, I can search by author and find a specific book in a large collection quickly and easily.
Does iBooks have a similar feature that makes it easy to deal with a large collection, or would I be stuck with laboriously browsing cover art?
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
For the iPad, apps have iTunes sync. Which is.... Usbsync upgraded. So.. Do I still need to answer the rest of your questions?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iBooks lets you view in Bookshelf or List mode.
List mode lets you sort by Bookshelf, Titles, Authors, or Categories.

iPhone OS4 should allow you to drag and drop books into Stanza (it works now for the iPad)...hopefully it comes soon!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
iBooks lets you view in Bookshelf or List mode.
List mode lets you sort by Bookshelf, Titles, Authors, or Categories.

iPhone OS4 should allow you to drag and drop books into Stanza (it works now for the iPad)...hopefully it comes soon!
Aha! So it sounds like list mode will work just fine for what I want.
I was worried I'd just have a bookshelf with hundreds of books on it and navigating would be horrible.

You think OS4 will allow you to transfer books into Stanza from iTunes? I would have thought Apple would make it work with iBooks only.

Either way, I don't really mind. iBooks looks to me to be just as good, if not better than Stanza. Now I know about the list mode, I can't wait!

Of course, I won't be able to upgrade to OS4 until it's been jailbroken and unlocked.
I bought my iPhone in the UK but now I live in the States, so I absolutely must have carrier unlock or else I lose the ability to use it as a phone...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
You can also arrange the books on the bookshelf in whatever order you want -- which is probably tedious with a large collection.

I did this last night so that the books I want to read next are at the top and the others below in an order that makes sense to me.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
For the iPad, apps have iTunes sync. Which is.... Usbsync upgraded. So.. Do I still need to answer the rest of your questions?
I'm sorry, I don't follow.
Did you mean that Stanza would still give me the same problems as it does now, even if I could use it with iTunes?

That's not really what I meant.
I want to switch from using Stanza and iPhone Explorer to using iBooks and iTunes, in order to bypass the problems I'm having with Stanza.

I was concerned that switching to iBooks might make accessing a large collection of books difficult, but that turns out not to be a problem because iBooks has a list mode.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
You can also arrange the books on the bookshelf in whatever order you want -- which is probably tedious with a large collection.

I did this last night so that the books I want to read next are at the top and the others below in an order that makes sense to me.
Yeah, I was worried that would be the only way to organize the books.
I'm sure it would work for a modest collection, but I like to have a lot of books to choose from, so I'm glad there's a list mode too.

I'm just one of those people I guess. I don't use my iPhone to listen to music, because I wouldn't be able to decide which out of my 50GB+ music collection to put onto it.
I still use an iPod because I like to have all of my music to hand.
I have pretty eclectic tastes and never know what I'm going to be in the mood to listen to.

This means that I have around 6-7 Gb of free space on my iPhone, which is great for books, but not great if the reader software doesn't have a really good cataloging system...
Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeat View Post
You think OS4 will allow you to transfer books into Stanza from iTunes? I would have thought Apple would make it work with iBooks only.
It works now on the iPad. Apps that are enabled with the sharing feature show up in this new tab area in iTunes when the iPad is connected-Stanza is one of them. You can just drag ePubs directly to it.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

Quote:
It works now on the iPad. Apps that are enabled with the sharing feature show up in this new tab area in iTunes when the iPad is connected-Stanza is one of them. You can just drag ePubs directly to it.
Does it work even on the newer versions of Stanza?
I had to download an older version, as the USB transfer feature (using iPhone Explorer) was removed at Apple's request.
Has it been re enabled for use with iTunes?
Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Does it work even on the newer versions of Stanza?
I had to download an older version, as the USB transfer feature (using iPhone Explorer) was removed at Apple's request.
Has it been re enabled for use with iTunes?
It works with the latest version of Stanza. The caveat, of course, is that it only works on the iPad, and Stanza has not released an iPad version of their great app yet.

So, when OS4 comes out for the iPhone, you should be able to drag and drop ePubs directly into Stanza. And, you will have iBooks for iPhone as well.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
jamesbeat
Connoisseur

That's excellent news!

I really do like Stanza, so I'll most likely continue to use it instead of iBooks.

I find the uncluttered layout easy to read from, and I love the page turning animation, because I find myself starting to turn the page while still reading the last line, a habit that I got into when reading paper books.
I also like the feature which allows you to adjust the brightness of the screen by a vertical swipe of the finger.

The only real problem I had was the laborious process of transferring books, but from what you say, that's been fixed.

Having looked at iBooks a bit more since my previous posts, I've gone off it a little. it seems that there is a lot of 'eye candy' on the screen that may prove to be distracting.
In particular, a lot of screen real estate seems to be taken up by fake 'page edges', which I think are a little pointless.
I don't know if the iPhone version will look the same, maybe they'll do away with some of that stuff because of the smaller screen.

We'll have to see what it's like when OS4 comes out for iPhone...
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:

Having looked at iBooks a bit more since my previous posts, I've gone off it a little. it seems that there is a lot of 'eye candy' on the screen that may prove to be distracting.
In particular, a lot of screen real estate seems to be taken up by fake 'page edges', which I think are a little pointless.
I don't know if the iPhone version will look the same, maybe they'll do away with some of that stuff because of the smaller screen.

We'll have to see what it's like when OS4 comes out for iPhone...
Yeah, I'm pretty curious how they'll scale down iBooks for the iPhone...right now it has huge fixed margins on the iPad. Some of the eye candy, though (the font settings, page index, TOC, etc.) can be switched off..but not the fake page edges. Ironically, I created my own page edges for Stanza last year http://img98.imageshack.us/i/3menf.jpg/ .
Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
It works with the latest version of Stanza. The caveat, of course, is that it only works on the iPad, and Stanza has not released an iPad version of their great app yet.

So, when OS4 comes out for the iPhone, you should be able to drag and drop ePubs directly into Stanza. And, you will have iBooks for iPhone as well.
Stanza will not be released for the iPad. Lexcycle (the makers of Stanza) was purchased by Amazon, which has released the Kindle program for iPad and iPhone. Stanza would be in competition. While they agreed not to pull the iPhone app, Amazon will not allow new development on a competing app within-company.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
After reading about the hoops I had to jump through to transfer via wifi, email etc, I decided instead to simply download an older version of Stanza.
Do you use Calibre? If you turn on the Content Server feature, it's pretty painless to transfer books via wifi.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #15
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Stanza will not be released for the iPad. Lexcycle (the makers of Stanza) was purchased by Amazon, which has released the Kindle program for iPad and iPhone. Stanza would be in competition. While they agreed not to pull the iPhone app, Amazon will not allow new development on a competing app within-company.
Never say never