Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Makgj
Makgj began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Aluratek Libre Pro, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Kindle PaperWhite
Just got my Aluratek Libre Pro... few questions

Just picked up a Aluratek Libre Pro.
Not new to reading ebooks so I will not bore you about screen and such.
Wondering if I should update the firmware?
How do I find out what firmware is loaded on it? (instruction manual is quite vague).
What advantages will there be with an updated firmware?
So far it looks real good but have not loaded any books on it yet.
Makgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Makgj

Was looking around and found the firmware version (duh)
Softare V0.16h
Patch V16
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makgj View Post
Was looking around and found the firmware version (duh)
Software V0.16h
Patch V16
Your firmware is newer than the one available on Aluratek's website - v0.15k v15. I wish Aluratek would make the latest firmware available on their website.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 AM   #4
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Thumbs up

Good choice I think you be happy with it as long as you don't think it going to change the world or reinvent you life (usually apple ad claptrap) its a great e reader have fun.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
You'll have to tell us if there are any new and wondrous things with the firmware update - lol.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Makgj

Well have read almost a book now, as far as improvements over previous firmware, I could not really tell you as I seriously do not know. Now though I think I might bore you...
So far it is working great - even the mp3 player.
Took a while to figure out the menus and such and creating folders. (Does help to read the help file - nasty pdf file though)
One thing I did learn was not to bother trying to upload mp3s to the SD card while in the reader (takes forever). Just popped the card in a external card reader and loaded almost a gig of music in under 3 min.
Do any of you notice that once in a while the mp3 player sound skips back and forth between the right and left ear?
As far as speed - I really see no major difference in page turning when using the mp3 player.
Tried a few different formats and found that PRC and HTML are real good. PDF did not like as much. Have not tried any epub as I do not currently have anything like that in my collection.
Having owned a EBW 1150 for a few years and having to convert just about anything I am interested in reading (sci-fi) to imp, I found that free program Mobi Creator works wonderfully transcending PDF into both html and prc in which I would then use mobi2imp to convert the prc to imp (two step process but hey, it worked.)
So far so good - battery indicator has not moved yet and I have been using it most of the day today (both reading and mp3). Even used the mp3 player on a walk this morning with my better half.
As far as screen - this looks great, even sitting outside on the patio in the sun. NO eye strain. The screen is almost a dull white with a tinge of gray but much different then the greenish (without back-lighting) on the EBW.
I had a chance to look at the Sonys in the store but I found that the text was not very crisp, almost like blurred in a way or out of focus and the screen flash was not my cup of tea. This reader changes so fast I do not hesitate reading when switching from the bottom of one page to the top of the next page.
Sharp clear wording and little to no glare - the Aluratek Libre is a very much improvement over my EBW which was just horrid in the sun.
I am very happy so far with my purchase.

Last edited by Makgj; 05-23-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodPeople View Post
Your firmware is newer than the one available on Aluratek's website - v0.15k v15. I wish Aluratek would make the latest firmware available on their website.
Per my chat just now with Aluratek:

You are now chatting with 'Pete'

Pete: Welcome to Aluratek's Live Help chat! What may I help you with today?

Me: Hey Pete! is .15k the latest libre firmware? are any libre's being shipped with a .16k firmware?

Pete: Actually, the newest models should be shipping with version 0.17.

Me: When will the site be updated to download beyond .15k?

Pete: We have not received the newest firmware for distribution. We will post it as soon as it is available.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote