Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #61
leonnyan
Enthusiast
leonnyan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700BC
I am still hating the software. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've excluded on DEP, gave it free passage through my firewall. Still, when I connect the hardware, the software crashes. The software by itself functions fine, the store works, etc. I am lost. Not sure what else I can do to get this junk software working.

Has anyone backward engineered how to create groups manually? I can still drag content to the device via Explorer, and though tedious, if I could verify the main list and create my own groups of books this might be just fine. Editing XML files is simple if the schema was obvious.

--Leon
leonnyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonnyan View Post
I am still hating the software. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I've excluded on DEP, gave it free passage through my firewall. Still, when I connect the hardware, the software crashes. The software by itself functions fine, the store works, etc. I am lost. Not sure what else I can do to get this junk software working.

Has anyone backward engineered how to create groups manually? I can still drag content to the device via Explorer, and though tedious, if I could verify the main list and create my own groups of books this might be just fine. Editing XML files is simple if the schema was obvious.

--Leon
have you tried stopping EVERYTHING running on start up to see if something you run is an issue?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

--Leon
This is some kind of system/USB issue not an issue with the Sony Software.

What happens when you connect your reader without the Sony Library Application. Does it show up as a USB drive?

If not then there is some system/usb issue.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 AM   #64
leonnyan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
have you tried stopping EVERYTHING running on start up to see if something you run is an issue?
Stopping everything...OK. You mean via task manager and stop all processes? Or, some other way?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #65
leonnyan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This is some kind of system/USB issue not an issue with the Sony Software.

What happens when you connect your reader without the Sony Library Application. Does it show up as a USB drive?

If not then there is some system/usb issue.

Yes, I can see as USB drive/it is accessible via Explorer.

But, I beg to differ, the software is junk and it should not crash so easily. As there is no information as the software crashes as to what incompatibility there might be, nor does the read me or FAQ suggest incompatibilities, I am comfortable saying this is a problem with they Sony Software and it is poorly written.
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #66
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I can see as USB drive/it is accessible via Explorer.

But, I beg to differ, the software is junk and it should not crash so easily. As there is no information as the software crashes as to what incompatibility there might be, nor does the read me or FAQ suggest incompatibilities, I am comfortable saying this is a problem with they Sony Software and it is poorly written.

Only a few people seem to be having issues, not the vast majority so I BEG TO DIFFER. There is something about your system that is at the crux of the problem.

I've never had it crash here or on my laptop in either this version or the previous one.

I'm trying to offer suggestions and possibilities as to what might be going on as are others here. Again the bottom line is it's very likely something with your particular system that is causing your issues because others are not having problems. It is not the Sony Library software, but something about your system.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #67
kennyc

Quote:
Stopping everything...OK. You mean via task manager and stop all processes? Or, some other way?
I think he means via "run" msconfig
Old 12-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Run MSConfig and uncheck everything that is in Startup and then reboot. Then try your Reader with Reader Library and see what happens. If things do work, then you can try putting things back in one at a time till you find the progoram that cases the issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #69
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Have you tried connecting the device first then starting the software. I have seen some people report that resolves this issue.

Quote:

--Leon
Yes, Kovid has. It is basically an XML file. His free Calibre ebook manager/conversion software will create collections on the device if you use it to move your books to the sony.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #70
Neil McRae
Neil McRae began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
This may help, had the same issue. Turned out the Sony software wasn't authorised, which I did. Software stopped crashing after that.

mine would crash whenever the reader was plugged in.

Sony - sort it out, great hardware being ruined by shoddy software. Bin that Adobe shite and write your own.
Neil McRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #71
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
This may help, had the same issue. Turned out the Sony software wasn't authorised, which I did. Software stopped crashing after that.

mine would crash whenever the reader was plugged in.

Sony - sort it out, great hardware being ruined by shoddy software. Bin that Adobe shite and write your own.
So you hadn't authorized your computer? With Sony? or with Adobe? or both?

Windows or Mac?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #72
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
I'm trying to offer suggestions and possibilities as to what might be going on as are others here. Again the bottom line is it's very likely something with your particular system that is causing your issues because others are not having problems. It is not the Sony Library software, but something about your system.
Sorry, dude.. Clean system (Win7 x64 -- just reformatted and reinstalled OS and Office). Still fails to do anything but zombie.

"It works on my machine" is no indicator that the software is correct. It's one of the famous-last-lines in the software testing industry.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #73
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
Sorry, dude.. Clean system (Win7 x64 -- just reformatted and reinstalled OS and Office). Still fails to do anything but zombie.

"It works on my machine" is no indicator that the software is correct. It's one of the famous-last-lines in the software testing industry.
No, but it works on most everyone's else's system IS.

Very few people are actually having trouble with the software. Sorry to be harsh but that's the truth. Others with the same setup are working fine from what I know.

Sorry you are having trouble and I don't want to argue with you, but clearly there is something different about your system or something you are not doing that others are because (once more) it is working for virtually everyone.

For example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=16

Have you contacted Sony?

Last edited by kennyc; 01-02-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #74
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thumbs down

Quote:
No, but it works on most everyone's else's system IS.

Very few people are actually having trouble with the software. Sorry to be harsh but that's the truth. Others with the same setup are working fine from what I know.

Sorry you are having trouble and I don't want to argue with you, but clearly there is something different about your system or something you are not doing that others are because (once more) it is working for virtually everyone.
"Virtually" means nothing. "Virtually" means they may have achieved a partial solution, but they still have a bug. "Virtually", here, just means that a certain set of machines matching (intentially or not) a certain set of assumptions upon which the software (intentially or not) depended on happened to be reported. This limited sample doesn't say anything about what the actual failure rate is. Kindly back off of that train of thought. I have a stock machine of basic and reasonable configuration, freshly formatted and installed, and the software is displaying anomalistic behavior of the same form as before the wipe. This is the sort of machine that devs and testers like.

So, for what it's worth, here's what I've discovered in the past couple hours of grovelling over my newly-installed machine's services.
On Win7 Ultimate x64, Sony Reader software will hang on startup if the DHCP Client service is running. If DHCP Client is *not* running, it will launch (but fail to bring up the store).

That's all there is, right there. Completely reproduceable on my system. Disabling nothing else was required. No DEP. No Firewall disabling. Just DHCP Client.

So, after getting Reader to launch successfully, re-enable DHCP Client and start it up. Refresh the store page -- works. I'm able to sign in, and it even persists between reboots, provided of course that I kill DHCP client before starting the reader app again.

On the off-chance that it was actually a service that depends on DHCP Client, I enabled DHCP Client and disabled the one service that was running which depended on it -- WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery. No change. The behavior did not seem to depend on anything except DHCP Client directly.

I don't have any non-stock drivers installed. I don't have any obscure hardware at all, in fact. No fast-and-loose games are installed. Nothing. Just Win7, Office, and Security Essentials (disabled). I *would* have expected the software to fail in the absence of DHCP Client, but to fail when it is *running*?!? This is a pretty fundamental part of my OS's network stack, which every other piece of software was interacting well enough with. This is therefore without a doubt in my mind a bug on Sony's end.

That, if anything, appears to be the harsh truth. You don't take a clean install and claim there's something somehow, magically, "wrong" with it. It's quite as often a bug that also happens to have been unwittingly configured into operating on someone else's box. That doesn't make the bug not-exist. Instead, it only makes the bug more complicated.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #75
kennyc

Good luck.

Tags
bad, experience, software, sony