Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Healey View Post
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I, like many of you, had problems after updating my reader software to the latest version. With the kernel of the idea from Jazz, I have discovered that if you unplug the network cable and start the reader software it is a Jazz states, the software pops right up. Then, without closing the reader window, I plugged the network cable back in and was able to connect to the Sony reader site.

My primary goal was to download my books in the new format, which I did. But, alas, once I closed the reader it reverts to its zombie state.

So, if you are itching to redownload your books, this solution isn't elegant, but it seems to work. I will report what I found to Sony's no-help desk and see if this tidbit prods them along to a solution.

And what OS are you on?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #47
62Healey
62Healey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Vista in this case, but the problem appears to be OS independent. I have recreated the exact problem on an XP box I used as a test to see if the problem was my box/OS or something else.

I really like Sony hardware ... and really loathe their software.

62Healey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #48
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Healey View Post
Vista in this case, but the problem appears to be OS independent. I have recreated the exact problem on an XP box I used as a test to see if the problem was my box/OS or something else.

I really like Sony hardware ... and really loathe their software.

Interesting and interesting that many (most?) are not having problems. I've not had a lick of trouble with either the old or new software running xp pro.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #49
62Healey
62Healey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Understood ... and version 3.0 worked like a champ for me. This is the first problem I've had with the reader since I bought it.

I suspect the problem is caused because I didn't make disparaging remarks about Sony's software as I thought they did a passable job on this. Of course I only used it to buy books ... and now even that is hosered up.

62Healey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #50
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspweb View Post
I am sure many of you have come across the Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention) fix. If you haven't, don't worry, you're about to learn.
The sad thing is that, as a programmer, you know what DEP is for, and that if a program somehow requires an exemption, there's something wrong going on with the software.

FWIW, the exemption didn't do anything for me. This doesn't surprise me, since the prior version didn't require it. Nor, for that matter, did any software on this box or any other in my control. In my case, it appears to be deadlocking on an unreleased mutex.

The quality of the software has been improving, but it's stunning how consistently it seems to fail with each release. I can't say that I've ever in the past few years had as much difficulties with software as I have had with Sony's.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #51
cyclekitty
cyclekitty began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs500
I just upgraded to 3.1, running w7 x64 installed over the top of existing ver and works perfectly.
cyclekitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #52
leonnyan
Enthusiast
leonnyan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post

FWIW, the exemption didn't do anything for me. This doesn't surprise me, since the prior version didn't require it. Nor, for that matter, did any software on this box or any other in my control. In my case, it appears to be deadlocking on an unreleased mutex.
I'm in the same boat. Even after applying the exemption it is not happy. I am puzzled. I have a wide variety of USB devices that I use on and off and no issues...only this one.

--Leon
leonnyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #53
houde7129
houde7129 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am trying to run this on my PC and have vista and McAfee and I can't get into the library at all. All I get is an error stating the "Reader Library has stopped working". I have tried to resintall in safe mode and get the same error. After speaking with Sony helpdesk multiple times I still can't get it to work! My other reader programs work fine.

When I first downloaded from Sony everything was fine but then, in the middle of reading a book, the programmed bombed and since I have not been able to get into it at all. I have software to convert LRF files into another format but the books out there from Sony are in LRX format -anyone have any idea how to convert these books? Then I won't have to deal with Sony at all!

Thanks for any help...
houde7129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #54
kennyc

As far as I know the lrx DRM has not been broken.

I have one book in LRX format -- The Year of the Flood which I believed and still hope will be available in EPUB but currently is unavailable from the Sony Store.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #55
aspweb
aspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enoughaspweb will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by houde7129 View Post
I am trying to run this on my PC and have vista and McAfee and I can't get into the library at all. All I get is an error stating the "Reader Library has stopped working". I have tried to resintall in safe mode and get the same error. After speaking with Sony helpdesk multiple times I still can't get it to work! My other reader programs work fine.

Thanks for any help...
I am not sure about McAfee, I don't use it, but for ayone using a software firewall ( like Windows Firewall ) or a anti-virus program (like McAfee or Norton ) you may have to add the Reader to the Allow list in order for it to talk to the Internet.

If you are still having problems after adding the Reader to the DEP, I would suggest that you temporarily disable any software firewall and antivirus programs ( Windows Firewall, McAfee, Norton, SpyBot, OneCare, etc. ) in order to determine if they are having an effect on your ability to use the program.

Unofrtuantely, the program's message is quite generic. Soem details as to why the program has stopped working would be nice! Sony needs some new programmers, or at least a new director for the programming department!

I'd can try to provide detailed instructions if someone needs them, but I don't use any of these software security devices as I have a Cisco ASA with a CSC in my home and use Websense and an IP Device.

Let me know if turning off these protection programs fix the problem, then we can dig deeper into exactly what they are blocking (i.e port, protocol).

David Kopacz
ASPwebhosting.com

Last edited by aspweb; 12-18-2009 at 10:10 AM.
aspweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 PM   #56
houde7129
houde7129 began at the beginning.

Device: none
sony reader issues

I finally got thru to a tech support person at Sony who "fixed" my connection. Had to go to a higher level support person and he took remote control of my PC to fix the issue.

Note: the 1 step he took that noone else had done was he disabled the msconfig for all programs then reloaded the software. I could then open the reader library. Then I had to go and re-download all my books again so they're e-pub now.

Ifyou try this just make sure you go back and enable all the ms processes.
houde7129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing I would say to try is turn off any software firewalls and try and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I finally got thru to a tech support person at Sony who "fixed" my connection. Had to go to a higher level support person and he took remote control of my PC to fix the issue.

Note: the 1 step he took that noone else had done was he disabled the msconfig for all programs then reloaded the software. I could then open the reader library. Then I had to go and re-download all my books again so they're e-pub now.

So do you know the specific process or service that was causing the problem? It would help if Sony knows this they could document it on their support web site or something.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #59
RandallFlagg
Hey Trashcan Man
RandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enoughRandallFlagg will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook color, prs 505, Axim x30, psp, Acer Aspire One [running xp]
I'm still using version 2.5.00.09170. I've tried 3.0 and then this latest version. I have it installed on 2 windows xp home sp3 systems as well as os x leopard (the lastest version for ppc 10.5.08 I think). I have a fairly large library that I have converted to lrf using Calibre. With the old version I'm able to load my books and open then up with little hesitation. On the newer versions I can't open a book. I can add my library, but no matter how long I wait it won't load a book to read. I click on any book and the software freezes. Do lrf's no longer work with the latest Sony fubar software. Do I need to spend weeks converting everything to epub for it to work? Anyone else having this problem? I'm staying with the old software, but trying each version when it's released. I hope it works one of these times. I keep an old copy available for download on rapidshare so I always know where to find it.
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/272362988/eBook_Library_Installer.exe
RandallFlagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #60
4436time
4436time began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500/505
Quote:

My wife upgraded to v3.1 on her Windows Vista Home Premium Edition/64-bit machine, and immediately began having problems. I removed the software, used msconfig to disable the virus scan/firewall apps in startup (edit: requires reboot), re-installed, and it's now working fine (with apps re-enabled). Thanks for the info.

Last edited by 4436time; 12-19-2009 at 10:41 PM.
4436time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad, experience, software, sony