Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Margins in 6.3

I have my top and bottom margins set to 0 using the Sony output profile to create LRF files.

I did a comparison between the same story trying to figure out why the same file made in 5.13 and 6.3 had a difference of 100 pages. I noticed the margins on 6.3 didn't seem to take for the top and bottom there is quite a bit of space at the top and bottom certainly more than what I got using 5.13 for my conversions to LRF. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong with my settings?

I also noticed in 5.13 the margins use px and in 6.3 it's using pt. Not sure if this helps. But I'd really like to use as much screen as possible. I've also disabled the footer and the header?

I'll appreciate any and all help figuring this out.

Thanks!
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did try converting an ePub file to LRF and all I specified was the top & bottom margins and the base font size and it worked fine for me using eBook Library to view the LRF file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did try converting an ePub file to LRF and all I specified was the top & bottom margins and the base font size and it worked fine for me using eBook Library to view the LRF file.
So you think I'll need to convert to epub first? then back to LRF to remove the margins at the top and bottom?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
So you think I'll need to convert to epub first? then back to LRF to remove the margins at the top and bottom?
I don't think so. I just had an ePub handy to test out converting to LRF.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I don't think so. I just had an ePub handy to test out converting to LRF.

This weekend or the following week I'll have to test this some more. I'm not sure if you really need to turn off the program and turn it back one when the settings are changed. Maybe that's why the margins didn't take?
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. I used the command line to do the LRF conversion.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. I used the command line to do the LRF conversion.
I'm somewhat okay (possibly inept) with command line so I normally I use the GuI version of the program. I haven't had time to run tests but now that the weekend is here I plan on trying some more things out before I declare I found a bug. Seriously, trying to figure programs out when you're on deadline is never a good thing. Especially after getting home from work.

I'm still kind of married to LRF as my format of choice.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
i have the same problem - with bottom and top space set to 0 i get about 1cm free space each - started with calibre 6.0 or so - still is in 6.6...

funny but left and right margins work fine...
i'm converting pure html files to lrf
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
berrani
berrani began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have the same problem (Sony 505): top and bottom set with GUI to 0 or 0,1 resulting with 2 cm of total space not utilized. The same book converted (from LIT or RTF) with old calibre version has less number of pages (the difference is incredible).
How to resolve the problem? Is it possible to reinstall old version (v0.5.x)?

Thanks

Last edited by berrani; 08-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.
berrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
berrani

Resolved reinstalling vers. 0.5.14.
For now I stay with this old version, since for me it's more important not to waste space with the Sony 505 small screen
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrani View Post
Resolved reinstalling vers. 0.5.14.
For now I stay with this old version, since for me it's more important not to waste space with the Sony 505 small screen
If you use this code the margins should work for 6.3.

p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt; text-indent: 15pt;}

But yeah you shouldn't have to resort to css overrides to adjust margins.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
berrani

Quote:
If you use this code the margins should work for 6.3.

p {margin-top: 0pt; margin-bottom: 0pt; padding: 0pt; text-indent: 15pt;}

But yeah you shouldn't have to resort to css overrides to adjust margins.
Thanks in any case for the suggestion, but older version is already perfect for me.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
flowoeB
E-Reader Sammler
flowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheeseflowoeB can extract oil from cheese

Device: plenty...
isn't there any way to fix this in the 6.x? i'll try to keep my source files as basic as possible - had to much bad experiences in the past...

please? pretty please?
flowoeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
isn't there any way to fix this in the 6.x? i'll try to keep my source files as basic as possible - had to much bad experiences in the past...

please? pretty please?
I opened a ticket a few weeks ago when I first noticed the problem.

And you can keep your source files as basic as possible. I'm adding the css code to the css override box in Calibre not in my source files. I think it's under Page Setup?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #15
berrani

Quote:
I opened a ticket a few weeks ago when I first noticed the problem...
Have you tried the new version (0.6.8)?

Last edited by berrani; 08-23-2009 at 05:51 AM.