Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
benk3
benk3 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook 3
Which PDF- reader shall I wait for?

Hi,

I was very close to buy a Cybook Gen 3. But I read, it doesnt take PDF-format so good.

So, I decide to wait. But, what shall I wait for? What e-reader? The price is maximum 500£.

Have a wonderful day,
- marcus
benk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iRex iLiad is excellent for PDFs and well within your budget, especially the new cheaper "eBook Reader Edition". It's £399.

That's provided that you ONLY want to read PDFs, of course. The Gen3 is a heck of a lot better all-round fiction reader (IMHO).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
benk3

Thanks for your great reply!

Do you mean https://www.irexshop.com/product_inf...roducts_id=67?
499£?

But is iRex iLiad much better than Gen3 and can read all kinds of PDF? With images and everything without problem?

Take care,
- marco
Old 06-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I would expect Sony and Amazon to improve on pdf readability over time, Sony very soon...I hear
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
benk3

It's 499 euros not pounds.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
manchuia
Connoisseur
manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.manchuia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: In under a month I will have had both Sonys and a Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iRex iLiad is excellent for PDFs and well within your budget, especially the new cheaper "eBook Reader Edition". It's £399.

That's provided that you ONLY want to read PDFs, of course. The Gen3 is a heck of a lot better all-round fiction reader (IMHO).

just curious why you think the gen 3 is a better all round fiction reader?
manchuia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I'm sure an actual Gen 3 owner can give you a more complete answer but IMO a 6" reader is just a nicer size for curling up in bed or a comfy chair, throwing in your handbag, etc. It's very close to a book in that regard. I really want a large reader for PDF, too, when the price and features are optimal for me, but I think I'll always want a little paperback-sized reader.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
benk3

Hi dudes,

But, if I buy a Gen3 I can convert the PDF-files into HTML-format, and can read it without problem, right?

Ciao,
- maro
Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #9
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
yes, but why not download a copy of mobipocket creator and try converting some pdfs to mobipocket files? if you also download mobipocket reader, you can see how they worked out.

the only pdfs i converted to mobi so far look good, but to be fair, i used pretty simple ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benk3 View Post
Hi dudes,

But, if I buy a Gen3 I can convert the PDF-files into HTML-format, and can read it without problem, right?

Ciao,
- maro
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchuia View Post
just curious why you think the gen 3 is a better all round fiction reader?
Because I read MobiPocket books. The MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad is rather primitive (eg it doesn't have bookmarks, which are essential for me). I prefer to smaller size of the Gen3, the faster boot time, and the longer battery life.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #11
benk3

Hmm, Astak 9,7'' seems to be a fine e-reader. What do you think the price will be, better than iRex iLiad?

When do you think the Astak 9,7'' can be bought? In august?

I dont know if I shall wait or buy iLiad. It's nice to read books outside in the sunlight and lay on the grass. Help me, what do you think?

Take care friends,
- marco
Old 06-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd be surprised if we saw any 9.7" screen devices before the end of the year.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
benk3

OK, my friend.

Well, thus it will be a iRex iLiad. I take the book edition £499. Is there anything else, battery, cables, etc?

The iLiad battery can be charged with USB from computer, right?

Ciao,
- marco
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I would expect Sony and Amazon to improve on pdf readability over time, Sony very soon...I hear
The Kindle doesn't do PDF. I don't ever expect that to change.

Now as for Sony, I hope when they come out with the next firmware that PDF will be much improved. But we'll just have to wait and see.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by benk3 View Post
The iLiad battery can be charged with USB from computer, right?
The USB port on the iLiad itself is for memory sticks or a keyboard. The battery can only be charged via the "travel hub", which also has wired Ethernet and a USB port for connecting to a desktop computer. This is significant, because with heavy use you are going to need to recharge every day or so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote