Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Text to Speech and audio books - speed?

I work with a blind guy who has shown me the merits of playing back at twice the normal speed (his screen reader is set phenominally fast and he listens to books not much slower... still much, much slower than I read, however). One joy for him is unprotected ebooks... text-to-speech on DRM'd books is generally impossible, although it is legal here for what little that is worth.

So now I'm starting to listen to books and using www.foobar2000.org and the soundtouch plugin. It's also fun to vary pitch and speed independently I'm finding that lifting the pitch a little helps, but doubling the speed makes the books much more ... um... listenable?
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I do not know - never tried that.

One software that I do advise is Textaloud (http://www.textaloud.com), it let’s you control speed, pitch, save the reading etc…
They sell outstanding good voices.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
I work with a blind guy who has shown me the merits of playing back at twice the normal speed (his screen reader is set phenominally fast and he listens to books not much slower... still much, much slower than I read, however). One joy for him is unprotected ebooks... text-to-speech on DRM'd books is generally impossible, although it is legal here for what little that is worth.

So now I'm starting to listen to books and using www.foobar2000.org and the soundtouch plugin. It's also fun to vary pitch and speed independently I'm finding that lifting the pitch a little helps, but doubling the speed makes the books much more ... um... listenable?
I didn't see any TTS capability in this product. Can you provide a link or information on the TTS capability?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Now what would be a great idea is if someone could come up with a hand-held speech to text viewer...
DragonSpeech software is good, but needs a PC, and is then limited in an environment where there is background noise...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote