Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #46
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
So what is Old Adult and Middle Adult? ;D
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
So what is Old Adult and Middle Adult? ;D
More garbage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #48
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
These days we love categorizing, labelling and shoving everything into a defined box to the point of ridiculousness and this is just more of that silliness. Just another marketing buzzword that means nothing.

To me there are 2 genres of books: things I'll read and things I won't read and I'll know 'em when I see 'em.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #49
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I really don't get all those neatly defined labels for everything nowadays... I just go by stuff I want to read and stuff I don't want to read, mostly based on the blurb and quick nosey at the writing style. All those "coming of age" type books have never appealed to me though, by my late teens my favourite book was (and still is over 20 years later) Les Chants de Maldoror
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
While browsing on Amazon yesterday, I saw a book described as, "Adult Science-fiction for children."

It's probably obvious to everyone but me.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #51
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
While browsing on Amazon yesterday, I saw a book described as, "Adult Science-fiction for children."

It's probably obvious to everyone but me.
If it was in the description, it's probably keyword stuffing. I've seen some really bizarre things lately, like descriptions that just scream "I read a crappy SEO book today". I find it incredibly annoying, and kind of stupid. Yeah, it's important that people find the author's book, but if they end up there and it's not what they are looking for, what good does that do? For the really obvious ones, I use the links on the product page to report it to Amazon.

But I guess this is what happens when Amazon took away their precious tags.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
But I guess this is what happens when Amazon took away their precious tags.
The tags were abused as well.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #53
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The tags were abused as well.
I know. I was actually glad to see them go since they'd become meaningless at that point due to tag swaps.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I know. I was actually glad to see them go since they'd become meaningless at that point due to tag swaps.
We have a thread here on MR were authors where abusing tags by swapping.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #55
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Chick Lit is the stuff a girl gets her BF to read after nagging him repeatedly. New Adult is stuff that no amount of nagging is going to get any guy to read.
I'm kind of baffled at the idea that any straight guy would have much interest in chick lit unless he has unusually broad-ranging taste in literature.

Although you might get a guy to read it if you tell him it's pron for women
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #56
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
These days we love categorizing, labelling and shoving everything into a defined box to the point of ridiculousness and this is just more of that silliness. Just another marketing buzzword that means nothing.

To me there are 2 genres of books: things I'll read and things I won't read and I'll know 'em when I see 'em.
There is a use for it--as someone who sold to libraries/librarians for years--these classifications exist not only as marketing labels, but also in cataloging as a way to help you find the (or the kind of) book you want or need. Library of Congress Subject Headings can be very informative about particular books, and the classification systems are absolutely necessary for any large collection of books. Otherwise it would be just like those huge charity booksales that have an entire gymnasium filled with "fiction" and you get to buy whatever you can find in there that looks interesting...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 AM   #57
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Young Adult, New Adult, Reluctant Adult, Full-On Adult... they're all just silly marketing labels that often have very little to do with degrees of "adulthood" or even a book's content. It's just about which raccoon they want to dangle the shiny bauble in front of.

Juvenile, adolescent, adult: any other age-oriented label is silly and often just plain misleading... as in this case.

No they are amazing warning labels to me saying do NOT read
saves me a lot of time

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #58
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Yes, but............It gets them reading. In my day (many days back it's true ) Nancy Drew mysteries were YA and considered trash.. They weren't in the public or school libraries. I had to save my babysitting money and buy them from our local department store. As sillie as they were and as the new urban romance stuff is or some consider it is, it gets YAs READING and they will in time get sick of the stuff and branch out to other genres..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
In my day (many days back it's true ) Nancy Drew mysteries were YA and considered trash.. They weren't in the public or school libraries.
Hmmm. In my day they were (along with their stable-mates of the Hardy Boys and Tom Swift) simply regarded as children's books. "YA" was a label that was invented for such books much, much later.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #60
Joykins
Wizard

I've never seen a Nancy Drew in the YA section; always the children's section. Even though Nancy is theoretically 17...