Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #31
lrmulli
lrmulli began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
I'm 100% certain - I've just done whole thing again after a reboot (as per your suggestion).

Unfortunately the same problem
lrmulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #32
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Huh very strange. Sorry it didn't work for you, and sorry I cannot help you any further.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #33
lrmulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Huh very strange. Sorry it didn't work for you, and sorry I cannot help you any further.
Thank you
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #34
lrmulli

Ok - i'm up and running

Linux was the problem - don't know why and don't know how.

Followed the exact same process on windows and it went without a hitch. (I had to borrow a windows machine as i didnt fancy tryingit in a VM)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #35
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yay! Glad it's working for you now. Weird that Linux would cause a problem though.
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #36
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
I released new package (same old URL). It improves logging and fixes bug with lost virtual SD after USB connection. Logs about last sync are written to ".grive-sync"-folder.

If you have already installed the hack and want to update, just install the new package and sync (no re-authorization).

List of open issues
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #37
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Nice! Installed, and as soon as my Touch restarted the two books that were already on the virtual SD came back to the home screen (Wifi off) – so it seems to work! Will mess around with it some more when my Touch has finished charging and let you know if I find anything buggy.

Thanks spMatti!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by spMatti View Post
I released new package (same old URL). It improves logging and fixes bug with lost virtual SD after USB connection. Logs about last sync are written to ".grive-sync"-folder.

If you have already installed the hack and want to update, just install the new package and sync (no re-authorization).

List of open issues
thanks spMatti - will wait for the enhancement
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
Mrs_Often
Wizard

I installed firmware 2.4.0 (because I'm an impatient stupidhead). At first, I thought this-google-drive-tool-that-needs-a-name needed to be reinstalled after firmware upgrade because the books on the virtual SD weren't visible even after restart.

So I reinstalled this-google-drive-tool-that-needs-a-name, and still nothing.

So I synced: tadaaa there the Google Drive books are, back on my home screen WITHOUT processing btw so they were there all along, just not visible. Plugging in USB and unplugging: books are still there.

So so far, this-google-drive-tool-that-needs-a-name seems to work with 2.4.0.

Would be nice if there's a way to have the virtual SD always "switch on" without needing a sync though.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-15-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #40
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Note: deleting a book from the Touch that is on Google Drive, and then syncing the Touch, does not put back the deleted book on the Touch. I think I like that.

However, how would you go about getting the book to sync again if you want it back?

Edit: oh, I see. The book actually gets deleted from Google Drive. So it is a real sync, just a sync with the virtual SD and not the whole Touch memory, nice.

Edit 2: strange. I seem to have a lot of doubles on my Google Drive now.

Inside koboExtStorage:
- dict
- dict (1)
- images
- images (1)

and I now also have two Digital Editions folders, each with an 'Annotations' and 'Manifest' folder... Digital Editions '(0)' has a Gmail and a Gmail (1) folder inside both the Annotations and the Manifest folder. Digital Editions (1) does not.

Edit 3: BUG! I put the deleted book back on Google Drive, but a sync on the Touch doesn't put the book back on the Touch.

NB This could also be due to incompatibility with 2.4.0 (new books don't sync but existing ones show up on virtual SD), but I can't test that right now as I'm about to fall asleep

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-15-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #41
dgvirtual
Enthusiast
dgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with others

Device: Kobo Glo
Works with one minor hickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor_ View Post
Works fine here on my Glo, with two minor hickups:

- It seemed to interfere with the plugin, i.e., I couldn't get the plugin to load with the line your script adds to /etc/init.d/rc$ active. Disabling that line, and starting your script fom the plugin works for me.

- I didn't get it to work with a second SDcard inserted. Didn't look into it very hard, though, since I've been meaning to migrate to a one-big-SDcard setup anyway, which I did yesterday.
On my Kobo Glo it worked without modifications to the original package. The only problem I had was being unable to start using Grive with SD card inserted (after trying it I had to clean up the files created by Grive to be able to do another successful attempt with sd card out). And later on, after successful start, if I tried to insert the SD card, grive would stop working, till I removed the card.
dgvirtual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #42
dgvirtual
Enthusiast
dgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with othersdgvirtual plays well with others

Exclamation Does not work reliably...

Quote:
Wow. In combination with this, this is going to be magic! What we've always dreamed of!

The link goes to a tutorial to have your [my.kobo]@gmail automatically send all email attachments to your Google Drive. So, set up your Kobo with spMatti's lovely thingeme, and setup your new google account with Amit Agarwal's script (easy), and you can send emails to your Kobo, just like the handy Kindle option we're all jealous of!

Edit: there's another explanation of how to make gmail put attachments into Google Driver here. The link to the spreadsheet you need doesn't work in this explanation, but it does show you in more detail how to add a label to the relevant emails.
I tried the first method, and, unfortunately, it does not work all the time.

It works the first time, or maybe untill you add any annotations or read any of the documents you uploaded. Then, the Kobo ereader creates two more folders with the same name, and the script gets confused as to where to put the books fetched from the gmail account. Here is the tree view of the file structure inside the virtual sd card (read of another Grive installation on my linux box), for you to understand what I mean:

Code:
dg@bala:~/tmp/GriveKobo$ tree
├── Digital Editions
│** ├── Annotations
│** │** └── KoboGrive
│** │**     └── book1.epub.annot
│** └── Manifest
│**     └── KoboGrive
│**         ├── book1.epub.xml
│**         ├── book2.rtf
│**         └── book3.epub
├── koboExtStorage
│** ├── dict
│** ├── images
│** └── kepub
└── KoboGrive
    ├── book4.epub
    ├── book5.epub
    ├── book6.epub
    ├── book1.epub
    └── book2.rtf
The files are messed up (I changed the names, so they are not ordered right, and I may have restarted the script in the google spreadsheet, so some books may be fetched twice) but you can see THREE directories called "KoboGrive", and you can also see that the script has put books in the wrong directories... It makes for a real mess inside your kobo soon.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #43
dgvirtual
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvirtual View Post
The files are messed up (I changed the names, so they are not ordered right, and I may have restarted the script in the google spreadsheet, so some books may be fetched twice) but you can see THREE directories called "KoboGrive", and you can also see that the script has put books in the wrong directories... It makes for a real mess inside your kobo soon.
On another thought, there is a workaround for this problem. Unless, of course, someone finds a way to deal with this problem by modifying the spreadsheet macro, so that it simply saves attachment without assigning a label to it...

This could be a workaround: from your special Google Drive account, that gets synced to Kobo ereader, share a directory to another Google Drive account. AND set up that spreadsheed that contains a command to fetch attachments on that another google drive account, so that once the gmail account gets a message with ebook, the ebook is copied into that folder. When the folders on the special account (that is synced with Kobo reader) are created by the reader, it will not affect the account that the script is running, the folders will not multiply, and all will be fine...

But as for myself, I am still hesitant to test it and to create yet another email account - I already have too many!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #44
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:

Edit 3: BUG! I put the deleted book back on Google Drive, but a sync on the Touch doesn't put the book back on the Touch.

NB This could also be due to incompatibility with 2.4.0 (new books don't sync but existing ones show up on virtual SD), but I can't test that right now as I'm about to fall asleep
I looked at my Google Drive again and it seemed either the deleted book I'd put back didn't arrive properly, or the Touch sync had deleted it again. I'm thinking the latter as it had also disappeared from my local Google Drive folder.

I deleted all the double folders I'd found, but the deleted book back again, and made sure it existed in Google Drive online.

Synced my Touch: and the book was downloaded immediately.

I checked my Google Drive online again, and the doubles were still gone. I wonder what put them there in the first place?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #45
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgvirtual View Post
I tried the first method, and, unfortunately, it does not work all the time.

It works the first time, or maybe untill you add any annotations or read any of the documents you uploaded. Then, the Kobo ereader creates two more folders with the same name, and the script gets confused as to where to put the books fetched from the gmail account. Here is the tree view of the file structure inside the virtual sd card (read of another Grive installation on my linux box), for you to understand what I mean:

Code:
dg@bala:~/tmp/GriveKobo$ tree
├── Digital Editions
│** ├── Annotations
│** │** └── KoboGrive
│** │**     └── book1.epub.annot
│** └── Manifest
│**     └── KoboGrive
│**         ├── book1.epub.xml
│**         ├── book2.rtf
│**         └── book3.epub
├── koboExtStorage
│** ├── dict
│** ├── images
│** └── kepub
└── KoboGrive
    ├── book4.epub
    ├── book5.epub
    ├── book6.epub
    ├── book1.epub
    └── book2.rtf
Interesting. I'll do some messing around later on. I haven't found any trouble yet but I must admit I haven't sent any new files to the gmail.