Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #106
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Here is a link to picture comparisons of the PRS-700 vs. the PRS-505.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32038

The touch screen of the PRS-700 here adds to the blurriness and lowered contrast.
It wasn't so much the touch screen of the PRS-700 that affected the contrast, but the light diffuser that "distributed" the side lighting evenly over the screen. The light diffuser actually worked extremely well - when the light was on. It was the impact it had when the light wasn't being used that was the issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #107
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Prestidigitweeze no I haven't done any kind of testing on the battery life. They aren't supposed to use any power once the screensaver is on, or once the screen has been switched off, so it shouldn't make any difference. If left even completely unused a battery will drain to some extent, but I think there is something in what Synamon has posted regards the WiFi being active/inactive in the two different sleep/off modes though, and that is possibly the key difference (and would have an effect on the battery life). The off mode still doesn't appear to be a proper switch off.... so in which case, as HarryT says, you can't shut it down. I know there are some differences with the button on the current generation of Kindles, but I presume the same is true of them too?

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if the battery life of the Nook is really that much poorer by having this lighting (even when not in use)?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #108
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It wasn't so much the touch screen of the PRS-700 that affected the contrast, but the light diffuser that "distributed" the side lighting evenly over the screen. The light diffuser actually worked extremely well - when the light was on. It was the impact it had when the light wasn't being used that was the issue.
I think it was a combination of both. Today's eReaders use infrared for the touch detection, so that's one layer we no longer need on top of the screen. The glowlight still needs one layer though, to distribute the light across the surface, but it should be certainly better than the Sony 700,
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #109
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
you already have a nook3? how come? could you tell me where can i buy one ?
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #110
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The other thing that's rather disingenuous is using the price of the non ad-supported Kindle Touch, which almost nobody buys.
Plenty of people buy non-ad-supported one. They have no other choice. Do not forget that ad-supported Kindles are only available for USA market and possibly for a handful of other countries. When I log into Amazon.com I can only buy regular one.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #111
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Plenty of people buy non-ad-supported one. They have no other choice. Do not forget that ad-supported Kindles are only available for USA market and possibly for a handful of other countries. When I log into Amazon.com I can only buy regular one.
But this is a comparison to the Nook, which is only available in the US.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #112
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
But this is a comparison to the Nook, which is only available in the US.
Yes, I was referring specifically to the US. Obviously my point doesn't apply elsewhere, since both the nook and the ad-supported Kindle are US-only products.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #113
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoho View Post
you already have a nook3? how come? could you tell me where can i buy one ?
I don't know where you got that from, but I do not own a Glowlight nook, they're not yet on the market, not for a few weeks.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #114
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The glowlight still needs one layer though, to distribute the light across the surface, but it should be certainly better than the Sony 700,
I'm sure it will be - it looks like they've worked on this for some time, probably with the specific goal of having it *not* look like the Sony 700.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #115
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Which brings up an interesting question: What do you tell people the H. stands for when you don't want to divulge your real name?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #116
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
For all of those worried about the contrast on the GlowNook; it looks like the engineers figured that one out.

Source

Without the light on, it looks nice and contrasty; so the washed out look is probably from the cameras not dealing well with two disparate light levels.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #117
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
For all of those worried about the contrast on the GlowNook; it looks like the engineers figured that one out.

Source

Without the light on, it looks nice and contrasty; so the washed out look is probably from the cameras not dealing well with two disparate light levels.
I pull up a view of the original ST for comparison, the source is B&N advertisement.

But it is a lie...or at least a contract-enhanced truth. When I compare to my real-life version to that in the ad, the contract is nowhere near as good. **But it is better than the image you provided of the glownook**.

I guess only a real-life side-by-side is going to answer whether the trade off, if there really is one, is worth it.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #118
afv011
Captain Penguin

I think the trade off in contrast will be small and well worth it for those who need the light.i read enough at night that the glow light is a compelling proposition.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #119
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I agree, the only way to judge is to see for yourself. Good thing I have a B&N in my neighborhood!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #120
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
There really isn't a way to be positive without trying the device yourself or waiting for others to try it. Photos can mislead, and reviewers can downplay or fail to notice issues that might annoy the user.

It's not as if anyone needs to rush out and buy another e-reader before it's actually carried in stores.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote