Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
sherbearjt08
Connoisseur
sherbearjt08 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
If you have a NC, would you return it now that you have used it?

Is anyone having buyer's remorse? I am going from a Sony 350 to a NC. I have had it for 3 days and can't make up my mind.

Seems like most people use it for an android tablet.

Battery life - is it ok to charge every day?

Wifi - I can only use at home or a free spots. Not an on-the-go tablet to use anywhere without some 3G plan.

Not e-ink. It is LCD

I have to pick one. All the hacks and running CM7 on SDcard sounds cool.

Help.
sherbearjt08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well, I'm not sorry I bought it (I bought mine during the $50 off Ebay sale) but as you said - it's primarily being used as an Android tablet. It's been a good entry level tablet for my young kid - not risking a $$$$ iPad or high end Android tablet in his hands. So it is getting alot of use, just not much of eBook reading use. And I like playing around with the CM7 install and other tech fiddling. Some people really don't want to do all that.

I personally wouldn't buy it to be a primary book reader. It's hard to see outside, we have to charge it nightly if not more often, and I'm not fond at all of the stock nook color firmware.

You probably don't have the constant grime-y fingerprint problem ours has either.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I like my NC but not as a primary ereader. If I could only pick one, then I would pick the e-ink. That's because my main priority is reading books, often outside and for hours at a time.

Just a friendly suggestion that people might be able to give you better advice if you describe a few more details. For example, what is your main priority - to have a reading device or a tablet device? Where to you read - inside or outside? Do you have a smartphone already that might have some of the same apps that you would get on a tablet? Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
If I had bought it as a book reader I for sure had returned it. For reading e-ink right now is the right choice, and I do all my readings on my Kindle.
And as you mentioned already, battery life is not even in the slightest comparable to Kindle.

As an android tablet on the other hand it is great, no reason to return it!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Return it! There are Cheeper Tablets out there than the Nook! They work just as well if not better.
Nothing wrong with buyer remorse! Why stores give you 15/30 day grace peroid!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I returned mine because it was too heavy, I didn't like the backlighting, and it does not have the notation features of my 350, which I love. I can export my hightlights and notations on the 350 to print them on my printer.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I really like my unrooted NC. I use it primarily to check my email and to surf the web in a hurry (when i don't want to turn on my regular PC). It's great for getting weather forecasts. Also good for checking movie reviews while checking my cable system for what's on On Demand and things like that.

However, I do not at all like it for reading books. I find the screen very tiring to look at for long periods. So, if I had bought it to use as a reader, I would be disappointed, probably enough to return it.

I have a Classic Nook (e-ink), and that's what I use for reading. May get a Touch one. Have to restrain myself...
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
do you HAVE to return one? Otherwise having an LCD and and eink reader are quite complimentary.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Return it! There are Cheeper Tablets out there than the Nook! They work just as well if not better.
Nothing wrong with buyer remorse! Why stores give you 15/30 day grace peroid!
ummm really? what tablet that is cheaper than $250 is better. Most if not all the cheap android tablets have poor processor's, old outdated versions of Android, mostly v1.6, which most apps aren't even compatible with now adays, have low resolution screens and most are resistive touch as opposed to capactive touch.

Just remember there's a reason it's $100 and sold at CVS, Walgreens and Kohls.

Now in the $400 and up then yeah there are some great tablets but for under $250 I'll have to disagree.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I've had mine since Thursday and was seriously thinking about returning it until I got it to boot into CM7 this afternoon (from a card). Suddenly it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I certainly hope it does a decent job with academic pdfs though, since that was my excuse for spending the money...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
I have a NC that I used as an ereader. Would had preferred eink at the time, but the touch screen is what made me buy a Nook Color. I could had bought one of the sony readers with the eink touchscreen, but just could not bring myself to pay the price. Now that the Nook Simple Touch came out, I immediately bought one and I am very pleased with it. I prefer eink for reading. I noticed when I was using the NC as an ereader, I would check my email all the time, surf the web, look at magazines and spent little time reading books. Then during Memorial Day weekend, I sat outside to read with the NC and even when the brightness was maxed out it was uncomfortable to read so I knew right then that I wanted an eink device. Good thing B&N was coming out with the Simple Touch.

I would say that if you just want to read text-based books, return it and get the Simple Touch instead. I can't believe I am writing this, but if they had released the Touch before the Color, I probably would not had gotten the Nook Color.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Nope! Keep your paws off of my NC! This does everything that I wanted it to do. I wanted a reader that I could use sitting at home in a dimly lit room reading my books after a hard days work. The NC more than serves that purpose. Of course I checked it out thoroughly before spending my hard-earned cash on it. I knew how it operated backwards and forwards before I purchased it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
My Nook Color is unrooted and I use it primarily as an ereader. I thought I'd have problems with the screen as far as eye fatigue, but it turns out not to be an issue. I also use the other features like apps and the browser...it's perfect when I don't want to risk bringing my ipad somewhere.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 AM   #14
lisadawn
lisadawn began at the beginning.

Device: original kindle,k3,sony 530,classic nook(sold), nc(sold)nook touch
had it and didn't like it so back it went. Prefer to read on eink and have droid and laptop for all of the other stuff.
lisadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Love my Nook Color as an e-reader. I have the Kindle App and the Nook App on it to let me read form either store. Its the right size for reading, and since I do most of my reading at night in bed, the LCD far better then E-Ink, IMO. Like it so much we bought two of them, one for my wife, and one for me. We both uses ours every day to read books.

For a tablet? Eh, I guess... but I have an Asus Transformer for my tablet (and netbook) and it can not compete with at that level.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote