Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Original Nook 3G Discontinued.

This site has reported that the 3G version has been discontinued and that there is no replacement. Anyone wanting a Nook with a browser, MP3 player or 3G access should consider that these features might not come back.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
This site has reported that the 3G version has been discontinued and that there is no replacement. Anyone wanting a Nook with a browser, MP3 player or 3G access should consider that these features might not come back.
It was also said in the transcript of the announcement event as reported by cnet i believe.

Anyways this is depressing to me, I'm not ready to part with my nook. If you care about 3g then its a bummer, it will either drive the price of remaining nooks 3g up or drive people towards kindle. I wouldn't worry about browser or MP3 (if new nook has a headset jack), it will get rooted and this software will be installed in no time.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Looks like they also removed landscape mode (except for children's books) as well as the ability change text size. I won't be buying it but I wonder what other Nook features they have discontinued?

It looks to me as though they have decided that they overdid it with the first Nook and they want to go cheap, in the name of "simple".
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
anijh
Connoisseur
anijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it isanijh knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1e, Kindle Fire, and multiple iDevices
Quote:
Looks like they also removed landscape mode (except for children's books) as well as the ability change text size. I won't be buying it but I wonder what other Nook features they have discontinued?

It looks to me as though they have decided that they overdid it with the first Nook and they want to go cheap, in the name of "simple".
Not that this will change your opinion but the ability to change text size is still there. BN has a demo of text size/font changes up on their site.
anijh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic

I stand corrected. And this is just a guess based on the economics and financial reporting for the turmoil at B&N. I have nothing invested in whether I am right or wrong.
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:

That is now the third time (in as many thread) I've seen you post these falsehoods.
Do you have a problem with the new Nook?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
chas0039
Sceptic

Falsehoods?? Give me a break. I was just posting information in a news report and I mistook text sizing for text zooming. It is a fact that many of the features available on the Nook have been dropped in the new "simple version" at a savings of $10.

My conjecture has more to do with the serious financial difficulties of B&N and how that would possibly explain why they introduced the stripped down version.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:

There was never landscape mode for reading. Engadget falsely reported that in the newest update for nookcolor. The new nook does have the ability to change the font. I have no idea where you heard elsewhere, but those ideas are wrong.

B&N wanted a reader that was simple: no frills, no extras. If people want the extras, there are other nook devices with those. The 2nd edition is for those who want simplicity.

Also, B&N is not in any dire financial situation, so please stop saying that.

Edit: Oh, also, the 3g's been discontinued for about 2 months now.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I sort of think the "landscape mode" ability confuses the tech sites because some of the kids' books (and magazines) can be read in landscape mode on the Nook Color. SO THEREFORE ALL NOOKS SUPPORT LANDSCAPE MODE FOR ALL NOOK-BOOKS, RIGHT?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
chas0039
Sceptic

You know, if I say something you people don't like about Nook, they accuse me of being a Kindle lover. And, of course, if I say something negative about Kindle, I'm a Nook lover.

Next time I'll just post my comments on Nook in the Kindle forum and the same with Kindle.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Schnauzermom
Schnauzermom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Idle musing. I saw a number of reviews of the iPad telling folks if they had an iPhone...to skip 3G. To set their iPhone up as a wireless connection.

Many new phones have the same ability - my Evo does, so I bought a Wifi Nook on purpose. Perhaps the increasing number of other options made 3G less attractive to maintain...
Schnauzermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #12
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
Quote:
You know, if I say something you people don't like about Nook, they accuse me of being a Kindle lover. And, of course, if I say something negative about Kindle, I'm a Nook lover.

Next time I'll just post my comments on Nook in the Kindle forum and the same with Kindle.
you dont have to get pouty about it.

just know better than to quote Engadget as fact, because they usually are not 100% accurate. Someone should teach them the difference between wild speculation and news.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
To be fair, I would have gotten pouty about "falsehoods" too. I mean, c'mon.

BACK ON TOPIC, I'm a little sad that the N1 has been discontinued. I mean, this was obviously going to happen, but still..... it was such a nice little reader. My first one, actually. I'll be sad to see it go.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
To be fair, I would have gotten pouty about "falsehoods" too. I mean, c'mon.

BACK ON TOPIC, I'm a little sad that the N1 has been discontinued. I mean, this was obviously going to happen, but still..... it was such a nice little reader. My first one, actually. I'll be sad to see it go.
I am too. I love mine and don't feel like it's outdated. We still have some to sell, but it's clear that this new device is what will be here at least for a year. I see them all as different devices for different people. Considering it's only 18 months old (and the wifi is only just a year old), I hate to push them away. I definitely still speak highly of them.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I'll be sad to see it go.
It was white. I'm glad to see it go. In fact, I'm glad whenever a white gadget bites the dust.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote