Notices

Old 02-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #1
madeleinelevy
Enthusiast
madeleinelevy began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Dissapearing Images in Comments

Aim:
To insert images in the comments section, one not related to book covers and not dependent on an internet connection. I also wanted to make this permanent to preserve them when the main library was moved or copied.

Method:
I stored the images in a newly created folder "0 - images" in the Calibre Main Library folder, then I Edit > click on nsert point in comments > Insert link or image > Choose a file on your computer - choose image (jpg) - OK (so far so good)

Problem:
I assumed that the location fo the folder would make the insertion permanent. I had to do a clean install. All the images are gone.

1. Can I fix this now?
2. How do I prevent this in the future?
madeleinelevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@madeleinelevy - did your 'clean install' necessitate rebuilding your library? I ask because the link from the Book Comment to the image file is stored in the library database and a 'clean install' of calibre does not touch any existing libraries.

If you moved the image folder then you should be able to use the Bulk Metadata Edit Search and Replace feature to 'repair' the HTML - I know this works 'cause I've done it

If you really want to embed the images maybe this will work ==>> How To Embed Images Directly Into Your HTML

I have NOT tried it in this context, so I don't know if it will work in a calibre Comment.

If you have many images and/or they are large it will increase the size of the database and that may have a deleterious effect on performance. Calibre uses an in-memory 'copy' of the database, I don't know if that includes Comments but if it does then you may run into 'out of memory' problems.

Probably best to wait for a response from Kovid and/or chaley before you commit to this path.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-21-2016 at 08:33 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Whoa - I just noticed this

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleinelevy View Post
Method:
I stored the images in a newly created folder "0 - images" in the Calibre Main Library folder, then I Edit > click on nsert point in comments > Insert link or image > Choose a file on your computer - choose image (jpg) - OK (so far so good)
Was Calibre Main Library a library, i.e. did it have a metadata.db file in it? If so then putting the folder "0 - images" into that folder is most likely the source of your problem

Putting extraneous material in a library folder is a No No. Calibre can lose folders that it doesn't know about - i.e. basically if it's not a known Author or Book.

Do you have a backup of the "0 - images" folder. If you do then I suggest you restore it so that its located adjacent (i.e a sibling) to the Calibre Main Library folder, you might want rename to something like Calibre Main Images.

Then you should be able to use Bulk Edit S&R to replace "Calibre Main Library/0 - images" with "Calibre Main Library/Calibre Main Images" in Comments. You'll have to use URL Encoding ( click) in the Find and Replace strings.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-21-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #4
madeleinelevy
Enthusiast

Sigh...

... and there I thought I was being clever. The folder has been sitting in this location for well over a year now and it's intact; I can easily move it and use the URL Encoding you suggested. Looks Good!

Thank you
Old 02-26-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@madeleinelevy - if you're using Windows and you need to 'get' those pesky URL Encoded file names, then Lopesoft's FileMenuTools has an option in its Copy Path tool that will do just that, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	269
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	146727

BR

Aside - just noticed; the Win10 file explorer ribbon has a 'button' for Copy Path, but to get it in the context menu you have to do a shift+right button click -- why, why, why Nadella
Old 03-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #6
madeleinelevy
Enthusiast

Thanks, but...

Mac.

All done now. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:02 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleinelevy View Post
Thanks but...

Mac.
Then... Go To Apple - URLencode Widget

Untested

BR

Tags
comments, image, inseret