Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #481
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Reset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I set my password as "1" and can switch between parental or not. I don't typically deregister a device I use (other than the mess that is going on now), but with the controls on, you can't use the shop from the device. Meh, no biggie. I use my iPad for that anyway.
If the PW freezes up and cannot open, the reset option may be your only salvation. With parental controls on you may have to send it back to Amazon to get the reset.

Also, if stolen, the first step is to deregister it. If you can't do that, again you will have to call Amazon.

If you have parental controls off and it is stolen and books are purchased before you deregister it, you can call Amazon to have the book purchases reversed.

My Kindle Fire does not have this problem. However, there, if parental controls are on, then one cannot access the internet. Thus, even with that one I disabled parental controls.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #482
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
If the PW freezes up and cannot open, the reset option may be your only salvation. With parental controls on you may have to send it back to Amazon to get the reset.

Also, if stolen, the first step is to deregister it. If you can't do that, again you will have to call Amazon.

If you have parental controls off and it is stolen and books are purchased before you deregister it, you can call Amazon to have the book purchases reversed.

My Kindle Fire does not have this problem. However, there, if parental controls are on, then one cannot access the internet. Thus, even with that one I disabled parental controls.
Really? I was not aware of these implications, but would like to keep my home page for my books.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #483
okh
okh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2
Deleted.

Last edited by okh; 10-12-2012 at 03:01 PM.
okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #484
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by okh View Post
Deleted.
Great catch. Those pics still look much better than those that I've seen posted.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #485
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Can you not turn parental control on and off at will? Is it a one time setting?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #486
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Great catch. Those pics still look much better than those that I've seen posted.
What did we miss? OP deleted.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #487
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
What did we miss? OP deleted.
It was a link to pictures that Amazon had posted showing what their screens look like under real world conditions.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #488
JoeC
Addict

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000841001
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #489
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
When I see the pictures they still do not look real. I do not mean the desplay (only a little bit). I mean how she holds the Kindle. I have the feeling it must drop any second.
At least I could not hold my KNT this way.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #490
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Now that looks to be much more in line with my experience than the first wave of advertisements. Notice the lighting is not perfectly even in darker rooms. This is the way Amazon should have promoted the Paperwhite to begin with rather than raise everyone's expectations by promising more than the device delivers.

This is bologna:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazon Paperwhile page.PNG
Views:	239
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	94022  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #491
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I like my Paperwhite, but my real reader of choice would be the one shown in this video.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #492
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You can turn it on and off at will.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #493
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I like my Paperwhite, but my real reader of choice would be the one shown in this video.
Me too!

It looks like they glued the kindles to their fingers. Screen looks nice.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #494
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgetus View Post
When I see the pictures they still do not look real. I do not mean the desplay (only a little bit). I mean how she holds the Kindle. I have the feeling it must drop any second.
At least I could not hold my KNT this way.
She's a MAN, baby!

(Superman, that is)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #495
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Freeze would disable PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
You can turn parental controls off and on at will. The problem is, if frozen, you won't be able to access the parental controls and you won't be able to do a reset.

Also, if stolen, you will not be able to turn off the parental controls or deregister it.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote