Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #61
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
It is confirmed.
The English translation is available.

Happy hacking!
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #62
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
It is confirmed.

Happy hacking!
woot downloading now!

sorry quick question ti install this over a previous version - do the same procedure or do you need to uninstall prev version? if so how?

thanks

Last edited by avidworm; 11-06-2010 at 10:45 AM.
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #63
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
I just deleted all folders starting with DK and installed the new version.
The selection of languages is now under "G" on the second page (at least in DXG).
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #64
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
I just deleted all folders starting with DK and installed the new version.
The selection of languages is now under "G" on the second page (at least in DXG).
did the same cheers, do you know where the internet browser is located?
have you got internet working?
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #65
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Can someone post a link to the Duokan's English Kindle 3 firmware :-)

Thanks
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #66
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLight View Post
Can someone post a link to the Duokan's English Kindle 3 firmware :-)

Thanks
see here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105316

Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #67
SunLight
Connoisseur
SunLight began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Rinzwind
SunLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #68
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Quote:
OMG. How exciting!!!
On my way to download from here.
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #69
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Hi everyone...

I have downloaded DK, but I do have to say that I am nervous about pulling the trigger... Here is why.

In the experimental browser, I never have to put it my gmail password. So site passwords are stored somewhere on the Kindle.

I worry that an application could harvest these passwords then "call home". Not knowing about the background of Duokan, I don't know if it's 100 trustworthy, or only 99%... Big difference.

Does anyone have the same concerns?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #70
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
It did pass through my mind, too.

Similar thoughts pass through my mind each time I give a 3rd party app PERMISSIONS on my Blackberry phone. Once in a while I decide an app might not be worth the risk - gut feelings.

I have not installed this hack yet but am thinking about it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #71
playful
Mammal

Yes... Playing devil's advocate, suppose someone asked you:

"I'm thinking of installing software on my wireless device. The application will have access to the books I bought, to my private PDF documents and to the passwords saved in the browser. It's developed by a team of hackers in China. Do you think it's a good idea?"

It might be totally safe.

Or it might be something that you read in the newspaper someday: "Thousands of ebooks and user accounts stolen through Kindle hack." Then people comment on it and say "They gave access to their device to a team of Chinese hackers... What were they thinking?"

My feeling is that there's a 90% chance that it's safe and respectful of privacy. But I don't know if I want to take chances with the other 10%... LOL...
Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #72
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Playful:

and being playful - you/me/us are giving the same access to Amazon for the kindle and others for the other ereaders that use wifi/3g.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #73
jk2
jk2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505S
Is it easy to adjust the page margins on this firmware ?

I like to have the text close to the edge, just away from the small shadow produced by the bezel.

Thanks Matt.
jk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #74
jj3131
jj3131 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Great firmware!

I just install this firmware last night, I have to say, much better than the original (at least for my usage).

For a while now, I've been trying to add Unicode hack to the Kindle2 and without a success. I read a lot of Chinese Novels, mostly I read them on my phone but the battery runs out fast. Kindle2 uses less energy and for that reason alone can be important for me. However, no Unicode compatibility means that I have to load the Chinese text into Words and then print it out as PDF, it was the only way I found to read Chinese on Kindle2, well until last night! Thanks OP!

I waited for Amazon to update the K2 firmware 2.5.8 but it hasn't change for months (if not years). Anyway, this firmware allowed me to load book.txt directly without a problem. The neat thing is it read back to me in Chinese too, not that I need it, but it's cool. The page advance is faster than original firmware too. This firmware runs on top of the Kindle original firmware, so you can switch it back original if you want. Duokan has features for reading, playing MP3 and pictures, but no experimental browser. It would be neat if it can has one, so I can check my email at times. But I got my phone to do that, so not really need it.

Now for those longer gaps I can use Kindle2 to read and leave phone to do phone's thing :-)

Last edited by jj3131; 11-28-2012 at 10:29 PM.
jj3131 is offline   Reply With Quote