Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
cmoney
cmoney began at the beginning.

Device: stolen 505
Corrupt epubs on Mac?

Hi, is anyone having problems with corrupt books now that the Sony store has switched over to epub? On my Mac, I've got 3.1.00.12070 installed and purchased 3 books after the epub switch. One works fine, two show up as corrupt in the reader software and when I try to transfer them to the reader, the software just hangs and refuses to transfer them.

If I try to download these on my Windows 7 box, they all download correctly and are viewable in the software but 2 books show up as corrupt when loaded to the reader (Sony Pocket reader).

Sony is no help, they said there's something wrong with the books, and would email me back in a week even though they work in Windows 7.

Anyway, since I had problems with 2 books on the Mac and since they download correctly on a PC (but still don't work on a reader) I've stripped the DRM from them and converted them to LRF which seems to be faster and just works better. I guess I won't be buying too many more books unless they can get this straightened out.

Update: ok, found this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65253

Guess I'm not the only one...

Last edited by cmoney; 01-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.
cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
One thing you can do (even with the DRM in place) is unzip the ePub in the Finder, and then use the "ePub Zip" script that can be found elsewhere on the site to re-zip it. It works like a charm for some of these files, for me anyways.

A corrupted directory in the ZIP just means it needs to be re-zipped. As the DRM is inside the ZIP, you can unzip and rezip without mucking with the DRM involved.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
cmoney

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
I had the same thing happen and I'm using both OS X and Win 7. In Windows, I just used WinRAR to unzip, then zip it back. Worked fine from then on.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
cmoney

Just a quick update on Sony's response. A few days after I posted this, Sony said they passed the issue to their engineering team and if they found anything wrong, they'd contact me. Nothing since! Meanwhile the DRM has been stripped from 2 more books I've bought that had this problem and I'm reading them on an iPhone in addition to the pocket reader.
Advert