Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
SethGekko
SethGekko began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Under The Dome, $25?!?!?!?!

Okay, so I was patient enough to wait until today to download this book . . . Now that it's finally available, I'm shocked to find out Sony sells it for $25, while Amazon & B&N sell theirs for $9.99 . . . .

15 dollars is a huge difference . . .

Did I buy the wrong device?

Does anyone have a recommendation on a way I can purchase this at a fair price to read on my Sony? I just cant justify the extra cost (maybe a few bucks, but this is like legal rape)
SethGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGekko View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation on a way I can purchase this at a fair price to read on my Sony? I just cant justify the extra cost (maybe a few bucks, but this is like legal rape)
Download Kindle application for PC.
Purchase the book.
Go to Slashdot and look for yesterdays article about some hackers that published program called Unswindle.
I can not be more specific on this forum.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Yes, I was eagerly waiting to check up on Under the Dome this morning when I woke up but became disenchanted when I saw the price on the Sony Store. Amazon.com still have it for 9.20$ for the Kindle edition and the hardcover for 14$. Makes sense huh Sony?

Gonna try to find it somewhere else, tho I am not in much of a hurry since I still have a few books to read first. Maybe by the time I am ready to read it the Sony Store will have come to its senses.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you had pre-ordered it from Amazon the final price was $7.20 (I pre-ordered it @ $9.00, canceled and re-ordered it when the price dropped to $7.99).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
It'll drop on Sony to $9.99 in a few days. Not all of the books automatically upload at $9.99.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
or go to Kobo and buy it there, there is a promo code someone posted which brings it down to 7-something
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
or go to Kobo and buy it there, there is a promo code someone posted which brings it down to 7-something
That's what I did too
Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Just wait a few days, it'll drop on Sony.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Okay, so I was patient enough to wait until today to download this book . . . Now that it's finally available, I'm shocked to find out Sony sells it for $25, while Amazon & B&N sell theirs for $9.99 . . . .

The great thing about having a Sony is that you can buy it elsewhere. It's a little over $7.00 at Kobo when you use a coupon from the $9.99 best seller price. No conversion is necessary because it's ePub.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
SethGekko
SethGekko began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Thanks to all for your help . . . I did indeed find it on Kobo, and used the coupon, so my $25 book was now about 7 dollars . . . Thats exactly the kind of help I was looking for . . .

Although, this is the first ePub book I've DL'd, and I'm a little confused at the process . . . I've gotten the Adobe thing installed and the book onto my reader, but 805 pages? I thought it would be about 2000, even with small type . . .
SethGekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
EPUB does weird things with the page numbering, personally I hate it. It probably is 2000 electronic pages but EPUB sticks to book pages...you could spend 3 electronic pages reading page 1 of the book.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
EPUB does weird things with the page numbering, personally I hate it. It probably is 2000 electronic pages but EPUB sticks to book pages...you could spend 3 electronic pages reading page 1 of the book.
Still, the paper book is supposed to be 1088 pages tho!
Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Save 25% on your next eBook!
3 days only!

Discount Code: Save25 | Offer expires: Dec 24th, 2009
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Under...1Ng/page1.html

$7.49 in total.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Still, the paper book is supposed to be 1088 pages tho!
Which edition?

Every edition will have different page counts, depending on what fits on the 'page'. ePub does really weird things where it assumes that so many characters is equal to one page, but seems to include the formatting of the HTML in the equation (a span tag would count towards a page, for example).

I converted a few books myself recently, and a book that was 560 printed pages for a paperback, and shows up as ~226 pages in ePub.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Yep. There ya go. Wrong device!

Oh, Nah, not really I first saw this with The Year of the Flood. $9.99 at Amazon and $21.xx at Sony. It did eventually drop to $12.xx and I bought it.

Some publishers are even planning on delaying sales of the ebook for months following the hardback.

Keep an eye out and use the ebook search engines and very likely the price will drop or wait a bit longer and it will be available from your library.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote