Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Article: 7 Reasons Why eReaders Make Great Gifts This Year

In response to the article by Mike Elgan of Computerworld (MR thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63673), Lance Ulanoff of PC Mag lists seven reasons why eReaders make great gifts. From http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2356482,00.asp

Quote:
I just read a column by a guy whom I know, respect, and, typically, agree with. However this time, I think Mike Elgan over at Computerworld got it wrong. His post, "7 reasons why e-book readers make lousy gifts this year" sounds reasonable, but here are seven reasons why he's wrong.
Let the battle begin!
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Pretty much just as bad as the article it's refuting. At least Elgan's article might save some people from ebook-related disappointment and wasted expense.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:58 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't agree. LDBoblo. This article is written from a personal perspective. Somebody who actually owns a Kindle and writes why he thinks it is a good thing to give. He even mentions the downsides of the whole ebook/ereader thing!

I found it a refreshing way of seeing things. Finally a columnist who actually owns the thing he writes about...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
It's an improvement on the other article, but might just as well have reas '7 Reasons Kindles Make Great Gifts'. It's more or less an ode to the Kindle.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The kindle probably is the best from a gift standpoint currently--at least for gifts for people not that tech inclined etc.--since it's the easiest to use with the built in WiFi store etc.

That will change when the Nook and other readers with integrated stores are out.

My dad reads a decent amount--not enough to justify buying him an e-reader at current prices though. But if I was going to get him one this x-mas it would be a Kindle. He doesn't use computers at all, so it would be way to much effort to have to train him how to hook it up to the PC, download books, transfer them over etc. Vs. just showing him how to use the Kindle and Kindle store.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I don't agree. LDBoblo. This article is written from a personal perspective. Somebody who actually owns a Kindle and writes why he thinks it is a good thing to give. He even mentions the downsides of the whole ebook/ereader thing!

I found it a refreshing way of seeing things. Finally a columnist who actually owns the thing he writes about...
Shouldn't an article (as opposed to a personal blog post) go beyond mere personal perspective?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, they're called columns ahi.

Which were pretty much what blogs were before the internet allowed anyone to publish their own opinion columns.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Despite my pessimism about the market, I do think next season will be a much better ebook reader gift season than this one. I don't think an ebook reader is a terrible gift, but it's not a particularly good option yet except for a relatively select bunch of people.

I could see giving a JetBook to someone as an expensive gift and share with them the joy of making simple and pleasant PDFs out of other, crappier ebook formats; or a Kindle/Nook to a soccer mom or someone in a similar socioeconomic group that would read casually/shallowly but frequently and ignore the shortcomings of the devices in favor of their convenience.

But for anyone else I know, I'd rather hold off until next year and see if anything good will be produced or if it'll just be more of the same stagnant tech. This year I'd rather give them music or stationery...or paper books.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
This year I'd rather give them music or stationery...or paper books.
Same here. Got my dad a few paper books.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Despite my pessimism about the market, I do think next season will be a much better ebook reader gift season than this one. I don't think an ebook reader is a terrible gift, but it's not a particularly good option yet except for a relatively select bunch of people.

I could see giving a JetBook to someone as an expensive gift and share with them the joy of making simple and pleasant PDFs out of other, crappier ebook formats; or a Kindle/Nook to a soccer mom or someone in a similar socioeconomic group that would read casually/shallowly but frequently and ignore the shortcomings of the devices in favor of their convenience.

But for anyone else I know, I'd rather hold off until next year and see if anything good will be produced or if it'll just be more of the same stagnant tech. This year I'd rather give them music or stationery...or paper books.

exuuuuuse me???

I can read from the library, easily, I can convert txt, lit, pdf and many other formats using Calibre, then put it on my kindle or read on my laptop or netbook. I can strip a book I bought that isn't available for the K1 and use it anyway.

I am neither a "soccer mom" or in that "socio-economic group". Neither am I a "shallow/casual reader"

Its not the shortcomings of the device......its the shortcoming of the people who know nothing about them and are not willing to learn.

Does no one remember when computers first became available to the general public? You had to learn the different work arounds. You had to apply yourself to get the most out of your computer. You had to write your own programs, for gosh's sakes!

Now.....any idiot can have access, and clog the airwaves with spam.

Eventually e-book readers will get there. For now.......the Kindle or any of the others are excellent devices.

IF you are willing to use your brain instead of having your thinking done for you. Sheesh!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't consider myself a casual reader (I have 800 books on my kindle, from all over the place, and originally all formats) and I am certainly not a soccer mom (yikes!). I read every day, for several hours, in addition to all the reading I do at work. PLI, a leading continuing legal education service, is offering its materials on the kindle. I have not had need for any yet, but that is certainly not aimed at casual readers.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
A more logical article imo. Just because 'new technologies are around the corner' it doesn't mean it's worth holding off buying an eReader. Point 5 is a little dodgy, you don't want to mention DRM in a pro-eReader article!!

With the crunchpad demise we had a slap in the face for one of the major tablet eReader competitors. Who knows when or IF a tablet which smashes eReaders will arrive.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Neither am I a "shallow/casual reader"
In that case you must find eBook availability terribly limiting...

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
In that case you must find eBook availability terribly limiting...

- Ahi
No. I simply search until I find what I'm looking for.

Again. Its out there. You just have to want to read it badly enough. Even if you have to scan it yourself.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Does no one remember when computers first became available to the general public? You had to learn the different work arounds. You had to apply yourself to get the most out of your computer. You had to write your own programs, for gosh's sakes!

Now.....any idiot can have access, and clog the airwaves with spam.
Dear god I haven't so hard in a good while. Karma for you DM.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote