Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
You may enjoy:

Cory Doctorow (free on-line!)
Charles Stross
Joe Haldeman (The Accidental Time Machine)
John Scalzi (Old Man's War)
Neil Gaiman (I liked Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett)
Darrell Bain (multiformat at Fictionwise)
Mike Resnick (multiformat at Fictionwise; I liked the novella Redchapel)
Ed Howdershelt (multiformat at Fictionwise)

I am not a huge sci-fi reader, but those are some recent authors I have enjoyed.
Charles Stross also has a free online ebook - http://www.antipope.org/charlie/accelerando/ - which is one of my favourite books.
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
This looks like a pretty good "all time" list:

http://www.amazon.com/All-Time-Top-S.../1KBYJ9G4NE7Z2

Great list. I've actually read 14 of those 20. only 1 I didn't like, Neuromancer.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
.. I didn't like, Neuromancer.
I didn't either.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I didn't either.
thank you. I've been so lonely here by myself.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #20
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
A few I recommend:

Old Man's War by John Scalsi
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link
Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

One I don't recommend:
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I have been expanding my reading genres and have been trying many different authors. Sci-Fi and short stories are both somewhat new to me, and I find that I am really enjoying trying new authors.

We have many author members right on MR.

Have you seen Verdant Skies by Steve Jordan? Check out his website as he shows Content Icons for the type of sci-fi in his books. He is also on Smashwords.

Wesley Allison (HistoryWes) has 4 books on feedbooks: His Robot Girlfriend, Women of Power #1, Women of Power #2, and Eaglethorpe Buxton and the Elven Princess. He has the same books plus Princess of Amathar on Smashwords.

Jeffery Carver's (starrigger) website has a listing of all his books (the first 3 of the Chaos Chronicles: Neptune Crossing, Strange Attractors, and The Infinite Sea are even right here on MR).

Jeff Inlo's (jinlo) website offers his books: Alien Cradle, Soul View, and the Delver Magic Trilogy for download in many formats.

Short stories are fun to read between books, when you have limited time, or just because.

PJ Lyon [(Moejoe) Fictionmonster] has many and varied short stories on feedbooks.

Have fun with Small Victories and get involved with Dead Pigeons.

Check out my signature for just a few of the many authors on MR.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Great list. I've actually read 14 of those 20. only 1 I didn't like, Neuromancer.
I've read 19 of the 20, (Neil Stephenson is the odd book out) and have met 14 of the authors. This list is more congruent with my personal top 20 than most such attempts I've seen.

My personal feeling is that Neuromancer should not be considered stand alone: it needs to be evaluated as part of the "Sprawl" series, with _Count Zero_ and Mona Lisa Overdrive_.

What didn't you like about Neuromancer? I don't consider it fully successful, but was impressed when I realized what was being communicated by what was not said.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #23
bavardage
Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Device: none
Neuromancer is amazing... but I think you have to read it a few times to properly appreciate it (and also amazes me when I remember the book was written pre-internet).
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #24
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, I couldn't really get past the first few chapters and have tried several times.

The "definition" of science fiction is that it is about things that could be.

Virtually all of science fiction was written "before it happened" -- Arthur C Clarke more or less invented telecommunications satellites.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I've read 19 of the 20, (Neil Stephenson is the odd book out) and have met 14 of the authors. This list is more congruent with my personal top 20 than most such attempts I've seen.

My personal feeling is that Neuromancer should not be considered stand alone: it needs to be evaluated as part of the "Sprawl" series, with _Count Zero_ and Mona Lisa Overdrive_.

What didn't you like about Neuromancer? I don't consider it fully successful, but was impressed when I realized what was being communicated by what was not said.
______
Dennis
It was Difficult for me to read, to care about the character. to care what the next page said. there are only 3 books that I've gone so far as saying I hated, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis is one of them. It is amazing in its own right when you think about it conceptually. but the book is just horrible, more than 1/3rd of it is the delusions of the character who are wrought with fever. but I actually finished it. and if it werent for the ending I would have nothing good to say about the author at all.

but this book, from what I remember, everything was just wrong. the sentences just didn't mesh. Necromancer is one of 2 books that I was not able to finish.

Anyway. someone mentioned the accidental time machine by Joe haldeman, Another of his Recent books, it was pretty good. but I liked Marsbound more (even though marsbound routinely gets worse ratings. I have a thing for female main characters) but Camouflage was really good. it's the only book by him that approaches the quality of the forever war.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
kennyc

Connie has written some amazing stuff, though like you I don't care for some of it and Doomsday book is one. Her all time favorite for me is a very old short story - "Letter from the Clearys" I believe it won a nebula ages and ages ago. One of my minor claims to fame was being in the same writers workshop with Connie Willis, Ed Bryant, Wil McCarty and a few other writers you might or might not recognize.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #27
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
More new and old recommendations

I haven't heard Jim Butcher recommended. The Harry Dresden novels are excellent. The first one or two are 'okay', and then they just keep getting better and better with each one from there. Be sure to read them in the order they were published, as the characters and storylines progress with each book.

Another great author who, unfortunately, never published much (due to having to make a living), is Daniel Keyes Moran. He has made his books freely downloaded from:
http://www.immunityinc.com/resources-dkm.shtml

Particularly (and again, read IN order): Emerald Eyes, The Long Run, and The Last Dancer.

And, of course, if you've never read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan saga, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN???
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
kennyc

I have not read Kage Baker, but my son love's her work and she appears to be getting some serious recognition.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:21 AM   #29
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
I haven't heard Jim Butcher recommended. The Harry Dresden novels are excellent. The first one or two are 'okay', and then they just keep getting better and better with each one from there. Be sure to read them in the order they were published, as the characters and storylines progress with each book.
that's cause he's a fantasy author.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #30
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
It is quite overrated and its not a book I would reread often, but I did enjoy it the first time.

One choice I found interesting was #20 since I don't think really his strongest work and its certainly not his well known either.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote