Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Don't we risk scaring people away? It isn't exactly recommendations

I doesn't seem to fit into the llounge .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #47
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I doesn't seem to fit into the llounge .....
No, I agree. I've been thinking for a while that for a forum where all members are supposedly readers, we don't really have a forum for reading - or, perhaps 'readin recommendations' needs a different description and/or name. As it is, I wouldn't put a thread like this in 'reading rec.'. Then there's only the lounge left.

Edit: Delete that last line. I just remembered I put the Lovecraft discussion in the 'reading rec.' forum because it was the most likely place for a discusison about reading. However, it's not obvious when you read the description, so perhaps it could changed to reflect better that it could also be a forum for discussing readin, not only about recommendations.

Last edited by Ea; 03-02-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #48
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, by Safran-Foer

It came recommended by a friend of mine, but I can't help finding his writing style too obviously formulaic and calculated, to make me empathize with the obviously-naïeve kid..
I've tried picking it up again after a while two or three times (I got through about 2/3s of the book before finally giving up), but every time I start thinking the same thing/getting the same vibe within the first few pages worth of reading.
Is it me? If so, I would be so ashamed
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #49
MichelleR
Just Me.
MichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five wordsMichelleR can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, Nook Touch
Pride and Prejudice -- I want to love it, really, but everybody is so pompous. They're all proud and prejudice and I'm guessing it won't happen.

But I love the miniseries.
MichelleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #50
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleR View Post
Pride and Prejudice -- I want to love it, really, but everybody is so pompous. They're all proud and prejudice and I'm guessing it won't happen.

But I love the miniseries.
If anyone tells me they don't like the miniseries I'll have to beat them over the head. *sigh* Colin Firth...

But that's the whole point of the book, everyone is proudful and prejudiced. Even those who think they aren't.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #51
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
There have been many books that I have been unable to complete. I tried many times as a child to read but found it boring at times. It really was not until I became an adult (which some doubt) that I realized how enjoying reading a book is.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #52
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I think I have finished every book I ever started except for a lost book or something like that.
However...... The Sound and the Fury was something I just couldn't get into. I just couldn't stand it. I tried 3 times, but finally gave up. Too many other nice books to read, why torture myself!
I loved Lord of the Rings and read it many years ago, (before fantasy became popular with the masses). It took me a few months, but by the time I reached the end I was hooked on fantasy.

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-05-2009 at 09:28 PM.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #53
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Oddly enough, given my prejudice against looooong books, I have read LOTR twice (but then it really is 3 fairly long books) and The Stand. Enjoyed them both immensely.

But I will not even try to read the last few Neal Stephenson books (even though Snow Crash is a desert Island book for me).

I am too afraid of that much commitment.

Last edited by Donnageddon; 03-05-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: grammatical error. I am an idiot
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #54
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
War and Peace. What can I say.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #55
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Finnegan's... goddamn... Wake. The furthest I've made it into Finnegan's Wake is 8 pages (after several attempts). Anyone that makes it further deserves a nobel prize.
quickhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #56
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
The Autobiography of a Yogi.

I don't know why, it was an interesting book, I started it 3 times and never finish. It is not too long, about 600 pages. One day I'll tackle it again.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #57
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
Finnegan's... goddamn... Wake. The furthest I've made it into Finnegan's Wake is 8 pages (after several attempts). Anyone that makes it further deserves a nobel prize.
I'm an Irish-American that takes pride in his heritage, and I have to agree with you.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #58
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quicksilver by Neil Stephenson. I haven't finished yet, and I plan to try again but I just haven't gotten around to it. Diamond Age and Snow Crash are two of my favorite books, and I also liked Anathem, so I don't know why I can't get into Quicksilver.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #59
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Quicksilver by Neil Stephenson. I haven't finished yet, and I plan to try again but I just haven't gotten around to it. Diamond Age and Snow Crash are two of my favorite books, and I also liked Anathem, so I don't know why I can't get into Quicksilver.
The first time I read Quicksilver it took me quite a while to get into it, and even now I've read it and the following two a few times (or perhaps because of it) I find the start of the book very slow going. The yeti tried reading it three times before he finally got into it!

It does pick up pace and start to pull you into it eventually, though.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #60
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I forgot to mention Harry Potter - I couldn't get past page 1 of book 1 (whatever that be)...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote