Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
jfca283
jfca283 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
support for annotations and bookmarks on epub?

hi
i updated the firmware but i still can't see an option to annotate or bookmarks epubs...is there any hidden option?
jfca283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
You can mark highlights (which you can then use as bookmarks) and add notes only on books bought from the Kobo store. That's as close as it gets.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unless there's an update past 1.9.12 that I missed, then no, that's incorrect. The only way you'll be bookmarking epubs is by buying a Sony T1 instead. (Note: I've seen mentioned several times, unnoficially, that the ability to annotate in Epubs is being tested in the current beta for the next firmware release.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
jfca283
jfca283 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
but rashkae, Kobo is developing annotations and bookmarks? if it is, i'll just wait like i did with the dictionaries...
jfca283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Annotations and highlighting in epubs is in the 1.9.13 beta we have been testing. I have no idea when it will be released.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@rashkae, taming: With regards to .epubs, how are/will the notes be kept? are these in a separate associated file, and will this be something Calibre can deal with (does it for the SONY?)
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Calibre can now deal with notes just fine. You just have to remember to have the same version of the book used footnotes in both Calibre and your Kobo. I believe that Tim Legge has written about this elsewhere.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Calibre can now deal with notes just fine. You just have to remember to have the same version of the book used footnotes in both Calibre and your Kobo. I believe that Tim Legge has written about this elsewhere.
Thats good to know. Curious how it works functionally in Calibre? is there a view in which you can just see all your notes/annotations? Tried to see how it might work but couldn't find any details.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Thats good to know. Curious how it works functionally in Calibre? is there a view in which you can just see all your notes/annotations? Tried to see how it might work but couldn't find any details.
Not at present. Right now you select a book that has annotations and view of the book will show the annotations in the notes (the edit metadata dialog as well).

This assumes of course that you selected the get annotations under the edit metadata menu (you might have to customize calibres look and feel to show the menu item).

When I have time, I may add something to save all the annotations in a single file (probably an HTML file)

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote