Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
astrocity
Edge User

Any Comic Reader App working ?

Hello edge fans !,

I would like to know if anyone has tried out any android based comic reader app on the edge ?. There are some that let you read CBR and CBZ files...

My Edge is ordered and I would apreciate to be able to read some comics on the LCD side.

Thanks !

Old 05-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
Dellaster
Edge User

Congratulations on ordering an eDGe, Astrocity.

Yes, Droid Comic Viewer works, is the best Android comic viewer I've tried, is free & ad-free, and is available for direct download from the AndAppStore rather than just on the Market. DL link here.

Downside: unmodified it only displays in a small window (so do the rest I've tried). Upside: it can be successfully altered to run full screen using the method posted elsewhere in this Apps sub-forum. Note that changing the minimum SDK version isn't enough for this app; you need to change the screen support size line as well.

Quote:
uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="4" android:targetSdkVersion="4"
supports-screens android:smallScreens="true" android:largeScreens="true" anyDensity="true"
It works very nicely in full screen after the changes in bold.

Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
astrocity
Edge User

Wow !, Thanks for the info. I must admit thoug that I´am quite a newbie on android and on edge features.

Where and how do I change the screen support size ?

What is SDK ( I´am feeling quite embarrased right now ), and how do I change it...

Thanks, I really can´t wait to get my hands on the Edge !

Old 05-05-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Dellaster
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocity View Post
What is SDK ( I´am feeling quite embarrased right now ), and how do I change it...!
No need to feel embarrassed. It's a programming term that normal users don't (shouldn't) need to know about. (Software Development Kit.) It has a ridiculously steep learning curve if you're starting from scratch.

Therefore, since I got your hopes up, I've sent you a DL link to the APK I converted. Check for the private message. And feel free to ask questions. Android apps -- and the eDGe -- do things a bit differently from what you may be used to.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
10tklz
Edge User

It works wonderfully, but can anyone suggest a good source for comics online?

Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Dellaster
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
It works wonderfully, but can anyone suggest a good source for comics online?
A good start is the "Where to find Free CBZ or CBR Comics" page by Robot Comics, the makers of that Droid Comic Viewer app. They list some quality comics. Of course, it all depends on your taste and preference in comics or manga where you go from there. Google is your friend, and a CBZ is just a bunch of images in a zip file with the extension changed from .zip to .cbz (CBR=.rar to .cbr).

Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
fgruber
Edge User

Could I get the apk as well? I still haven't gone around installing the SDK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
No need to feel embarrassed. It's a programming term that normal users don't (shouldn't) need to know about. (Software Development Kit.) It has a ridiculously steep learning curve if you're starting from scratch.

Therefore, since I got your hopes up, I've sent you a DL link to the APK I converted. Check for the private message. And feel free to ask questions. Android apps -- and the eDGe -- do things a bit differently from what you may be used to.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Dellaster
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgruber View Post
Could I get the apk as well? I still haven't gone around installing the SDK...
No problem.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #9
morellij3179
Edge User

I would like this apk too if its not a problem. I'm uneasy about trying to rebuild apks myself. Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Yellowman1
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
No problem.
I would like this apk too, if you don't mind Dellaster. Also, I sent you a PM on a different issue, did you get it?

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
hanwoo41
Edge User

Could I get the apk as well? I still haven't gone around installing the SDK... (2) too hard for me..

Old 05-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
Dellaster
Edge User

No problem. I'd save everyone trouble and post the link here, but I'm pretty sure that's against forum policy. It may be free, but it's not open source.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
OncTech
Edge User

I had a crack at doing it myself with the AppsDecoder, but for some reason it hangs during the build phase. Perhaps I made a mistake? My machine is XP and I did things in the following order:
1. Place apk file in Apps folder
2. Activate decoder hta file
3. Selected apk
4. Clicked "decode"
5. Clicked "edit xml file"
6. Go to Apps folder, open "AndroidManifest.xml" and make changes you suggested. Save
7. Go back to running decoder and click "Build Android App"

At this point, a black window appears, but it just stays there and nothing further happens. I even let it run all night. Did I do something wrong?

thanks,

Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
Dellaster
Edge User

OncTech, I haven't a clue but ChrisF will be releasing a new version of his fullscreen converter this weekend. Hopefully that will fix it.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
kona
Edge User

i need the apk too i gave up trying myself because it hangs when i try to rebuild the file on windows 7