Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Confusion over firmware versions

I keep reading about people using 1.3 vs. 1.1. Is 1.1 the most current version for the US? Is v 1.3 for non-US only? Any differences between the 2?

Thanks for clearing up a confused user...

JED
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Here goes...

1.0 is the firmware that the PRS-505 initially shipped with in the US.

1.1 is the updated US firmware, and the current US firmware. It brought EPUB support, PDF reflow and the "delete book" menu option... possibly a few other things I can't think of right now.

1.2 is the current UK firmware, and the firmware the PRS-505 initially shipped with (and still does) in the UK. From what we can tell, the only difference is the date display format (Europe uses DD/MM/YYYY, US uses MM/DD/YYYY).

1.3 is the current French firmware, and the firmware the PRS-505 initially shipped with (and still does) in France. The menu is in French, and apparently the firmware is a little bit more advanced in some areas, like localization. I'm not too familiar with it, someone should be along shortly to give you more info. But AFAIK it brings no new user functionality.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I want to upgrade my 1.1 US Reader with the 1.2 UK firmware as I reside in the UK.

How can I achieve this.

I downloaded PRSCustomizer, and successfully created a SD Card and was able to customize my current 1.1 firmware, but cant seem to work out how to upgrade the firmware to the 1.2. Can anyone give me a dummys guide, ie. where to put the uk_new_opt.img (on the sd card, what folder, within the prsfiles folder etc.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I will give this a try...first of all, you'll need to download customizer version 1.4 as 1.5 is being tweaked because of some unique USB problem.

When you download firmware 1.2, drag it into the contents of the firmware folder in the customizer. Go through the customization executable (choose the replace firmware option and select 1.2) and when you are done, you will be prompted to load the contents of the SD card folder onto your card. Do not load the folder, rather open the folder and add the contents of the folder to your card. Once you've done this, turn on your reader and then load in the SD card.

You'll see the Sony split circle rotating, then a menu will appear. Press number 4. Once this routine is done and the menu reappears, press number 6. Let the unit process the change. When the menu reappears, press number 5, then when this is done, press number 6.

After the unit reboots, you will be done.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
I tried doing this, but firstly, there was no firmware folder within the customizer folder. Even if I created one, the resulting files on the SD card did not include the firmware.

I have managed to get it to work though by doing the following.

I created my SD Card folder and dragged the contents to my card, I then copied uk_new_opt.img over to the root of the Card and renamed it to new_opt.img.

Put the card in the reader and rebooted and I was able to do option 4 then 6 and it worked.

Thanks for your help.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote