No, I just read 30 24.00%
A few, but I mostly read books 46 36.80%
Yes, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I still read some. 51 40.80%
This is mobileread, not mobilelisten 2 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #16
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The good news is that Overdrive is abandoning WMA for library audio books. So that will be less and less of an issue.

I listen to audiobooks when I knit (I can't really watch TV when I knit - I make too many mistakes), when I drive anywhere, when I'm working around the house and no one else is up or around, and, finally, when I'm working out - on a walk, in the pool, on my bike. I really enjoy listening to books, and some books I actually prefer the audio experience. It's a different experience than reading, but complimentary. And I really like being able to go back and forth between eBook and audio book on my Kindle Fire with WhisperSync for Voice. I can listen on my iPhone (handy as I move around the house), sit down for a bit of regular reading, and listen on the Fire, all without losing my place.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
My library allows me to choose how long I keep a book out for. Some do, some don't. But if you go through audio books quickly it might be a good idea to set your expire time to as small as possible. I can choose from 7, 14 or 21 days. I always choose 7.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I understand the lure of audiobooks for those who have long commutes. But I'm sure there are other places where audiobooks make sense. When do you listen to audiobooks? Any tips to get into audiobooks?
I never listen to audiobooks while driving or at work. Not enough time for me to enjoy them. When I get started, I go for hours before quitting. I prefer to multitask when I do things, so audiobooks fit perfectly; whereas reading is strictly a single task activity.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I mostly listen to audiobooks while I work out. I use them on long car rides, but I have trouble following them on my daily commute. Too much traffic to pay attention to so I listen to talk radio instead. I really like the Kindle Whispersync integration with Audible!

It is an acquired skill. Try a few books to see if your listening skills improve and don't give up after the first one. I also find that the narrator makes a difference to enjoyment as well.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #20
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
At the moment, it's about 50-50 and in fact with one book, I have both the audiobook and the ebook and switch back and forth.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I also find that the narrator makes a difference to enjoyment as well.
No doubt about it. A bad narrator can ruin a good book, and a great narrator can save a mediocre book.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Yep, annoying that I can't play WMA books on my Android phone. I'm tempted to buy a Sansa clip/zip just to play the books, but I don't really want to add another gadget to carry around--no matter how small.
The Clip Zip 4GB is on sale today for $30 in case you change your mind
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #23
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Clip Zip 4GB is on sale today for $30 in case you change your mind
According to CRussel, Overdrive is phasing out WMA files but
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
According to CRussel, Overdrive is phasing out WMA files but
YW

btw, here's a thread on that topic.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
tamborine
Connoisseur
tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tamborine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Aura One, Kindle Fire HD
I chose "Yes, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I still read some", but actually my reading and listening are about equal. I have a commute that's almost an hour each way, five days a week, so that's when I listen to audiobooks. At home, I read exclusively, mostly ebooks, but sometimes paper. Tried to listen when I was at home, and I always wound up falling asleep, no matter how interesting the book.
tamborine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #26
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
No doubt about it. A bad narrator can ruin a good book, and a great narrator can save a mediocre book.
So true! There are narrators that I look for and then decide to get the audiobook. A bad narrator can ruin not only a good book but also a beloved book!

I principally listen to audiobooks when working out. This gives me an incentive to get and get to it. Sometimes I even work out a little longer because what I'm listening to is so interesting.

I'd like to give a thank you to tubemonkey for promoting audiobooks here. That is what started me on them.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I mostly listen to audiobooks while I work out. I use them on long car rides, but I have trouble following them on my daily commute. Too much traffic to pay attention to so I listen to talk radio instead. I really like the Kindle Whispersync integration with Audible!

It is an acquired skill. Try a few books to see if your listening skills improve and don't give up after the first one. I also find that the narrator makes a difference to enjoyment as well.
Long-time audiobook listener here, and this is exactly my experience. On long driving trips, during the first half hour or so my mind wanders too much, so it's lots of rewinding. After that, I really get into the book (and drive just fine).

From what you say, though, I'm not sure anymore that poor earlier concentration is just the nature of the mind being more active in the beginning of a transition of activities, or if it's simply the local traffic congestion.

Anyway, your advice about it being an acquired skill is spot on. Find out when your mind wanders a lot, and in those circumstances, don't do audiobooks (or accept that you'll be rewinding a lot).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #28
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Some books just cannot be "read" to you, because of the complexity of names. Examples:
- "A Thousand Miles Up the Nile." Place and people names that you never seen or heard before. Just impossible as an audiobook, then so easy when you read the text.
- "Last Orders." A character study unveiled by dialogue, with too many characters with too many simple names. Ray, Amy Vince, Lenny, Vic, Mandy, Jack, Bernie, Brenda, June, Jimmy.

An example of an easy listen is any Sue Grafton alphabet series book. Not too many characters, and the pace is slow enough.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #29
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I voted "Yes, I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I still read some." It was the best fit, though not an accurate one, typical of MR polls.

I only listen to "audiobooks" a few times a year. I listen to 4-8 hours of short story and novella length podcasts per week. This amounts to about twice my reading (mostly ebooks) or 2/3rds to 3/4ths of my literature consumption.

My most common sources are:
PRI's Selected Shorts
EscapePod
PodCastle
StarShipSofa
Lightspeed
Toasted Cake
BBC's Play of the Week
Protecting Project Pulp
Crime City Central
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #30
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I'm afraid that I find listening to someone reading a book boring to the point of rendering me comatose. I find this surprising since I love, and have always loved, radio drama. I thrill, over and over to Suspense. I'm always ready to listen to Nightfall and Vanishing Point again. I eagerly await the new Ruby and Jack Flanders adventures from ZBS, but I just can't listen to someone reading a book. Not sure why. I only read books.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote