Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
crazylaughter
crazylaughter began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
how do I organize books?

New kindle fire owner here. I got it on the cheap so I didn't research it much. I have a ton of books from a previous device that are not from amazon. I have converted them to a file type the kindle fire will read. However I have found the organizational structure on the kindle fire lacking. Any ideas?

Last edited by crazylaughter; 05-12-2013 at 03:06 PM.
crazylaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Buy another device that suports more robust collection sorting.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylaughter View Post
New kindle fire owner here. I got it on the cheap so I didn't research it much. I have a ton of books from a previous device that are not from amazon. I have converted them to a file type the kindle fire will read. However I have found the organizational structure on the kindle fire lacking. Any ideas?
Whatsa matter? Carousel not doing the job for you?

I'm pretty sure people don't buy the Fire for it's sterling software design. I paid $69 for my 1st Gen Fire about a month ago and I'm already scheming to buy an android tablet that isn't crippled by incompetent design.

Seriously, I store my books on my PC and organize them with Calibre and just move them as I need them to my K Fire.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
eumie
Enthusiast
eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eumie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 4, Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kindle Oasis 2
If you're not overly attached to the Fire's default reading app, you can always sideload others, like Aldiko, Mantano Reader, etc. You can organize your books in collections, and don't have to convert books if you have them in epub format from previous stores. If you don't have an android phone to get apps from, you can use markets like 1mobile.com. The first Fire is easy to root and get Google Play on board, if you want to get mildly geeky about it.

Last edited by eumie; 05-12-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: added info
eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eumie View Post
If you're not overly attached to the Fire's default reading app, you can always sideload others, like Aldiko, Mantano Reader, etc. You can organize your books in collections, and don't have to convert books if you have them in epub format from previous stores. If you don't have an android phone to get apps from, you can use markets like 1mobile.com. The first Fire is easy to root and get Google Play on board, if you want to get mildly geeky about it.
I was so happy to find this thread because I want to organise my books into collections. Do I gather there is no easy way for me to do this on a KF? I'm pitifully non-tekky and don't understand words like 'sideloading' -*hangs head in shame*
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can create collections, but not in folders-within-folders.
I'm pretty sure the OP wanted folders-within-folders sorting.

A sideloaded book is just one you didn't buy from amazon, but put on either with a computer + USB or else downloaded through the browser. The only difference with these is they show a banner saying "Personal" on the cover view.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #7
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I use this to organize my books on my kindle fire hd. It allows me to create collections within collections. The best investment I've made, it may not be perfect but it does the job. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Co...ds=collections
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckywc View Post
I use this to organize my books on my kindle fire hd. It allows me to create collections within collections. The best investment I've made, it may not be perfect but it does the job. http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-Co...ds=collections
Yeah, this is your best bet. The developers are around here too, just feel free to post a question about it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote