Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Cristobal
Cristobal began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre crashes when I load plugin from file

I hope someone here can help me.

I open Calibre, Preferences, Plugins, Load plugin from file and the program simply exits. I can actually see the file browser window a split second before it crashes.

I've tried everything: uninstalling the program, running ccleaner and cleaning everything including the registry, installing the 32 bit version even though I have 64 bit pc, running the program from safe mode. It still crashes every time I try to load a plugin.

Thanks,
Cris

Last edited by Cristobal; 02-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If I understand correctly, calibre is crashing (or shutting down) as soon as you click on "Load plugin from file," right?

Do you happen to know what the location of the folder is that the "Load plugin from file" dialog is trying to open? Perhaps you can see it in the brief glimpse you get before everything disappears? Or you remember that last folder it opened to before it started misbehaving? Or perhaps you recognize some of the files in that quick glimpse?

What I'm getting at is that I've had rare situations where calibre barfed when file/folder dialog windows were trying to view the contents of a folder that had a corrupt file in it. The problem is that the "last folder opened" is remembered by calibre (and those settings will survive a normal uninstall/reinstall) and it keeps trying to open that same folder that's going to make it barf. So if there's any way you can figure out which folder the "Load plugin from file" dialog is trying open, you could try browsing to that folder outside of calibre and moving/copying/deleting everything out of that folder so that it's empty when calibre tries to open it. You may find that many apps (not only calibre) barf when trying to open that particular folder. Get that folder located and the underlying problem fixed and your ability to load plugins from files should be restored.

Good luck!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Cristobal

Diap, thanks for your help, unfortunately it didn't work. I really can't see the file browser well at all.

Last edited by Cristobal; 02-25-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post
Diap, thanks for your help, unfortunately it didn't work. I really can't see the file browser well at all.

I'm not doing anything illegal. As I made clear in my post, I only want to access ebooks which I have purchased, on the e reader of my choice and not just one that Amazon wants to force me to use.
Does not matter why! We can't discuss those tools.
Go where you got them and ask for help.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My earlier suggestion was the only one I could think of. Sorry.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Does not matter why! We can't discuss those tools.
Go where you got them and ask for help.
Who do you ask for help when clicking the "Load plugin from file" button causes calibre to close before you've ever even selected any plugin file (sanctioned or otherwise)?

Try running calibre in debug mode
Code:
calibre-debug -g
from a command line and see if any errors get printed out when you click the "Load plugin from file" button and calibre "goes away."

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Cristobal

That's pretty cool Dealer, here's what happened:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris>calibre-debug -g
calibre 0.9.20 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 1.46 seconds with 2 books
QObject::killTimers: timers cannot be stopped from another thread

C:\Users\Chris>

Last edited by Cristobal; 02-23-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal View Post
I've tried everything: uninstalling the program, running ccleaner and cleaning everything including the registry, installing the 32 bit version even though I have 64 bit pc, running the program from safe mode. It still crashes every time I try to load a plugin.
Sometimes third party plugins come packaged together. Is it possible the plugin you're trying to add is actually a zip file within the zip file you're attempting to add as a plugin?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I assume you've seen this: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....s-occasionally

If nothing there helps, then I suggest you add plugins from the command line.

calibre-customize -a pluginfile.zip
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Cristobal

Yes Kovid I saw that and tried everything.

But then I tried your second suggestion several times (moving the zip file to different locations) here's what I got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chris>calibre-customize -a plugin.zip
Python function terminated unexpectedly
Cannot access u'plugin.zip' (Error Code: 1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 132, in main
File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 634, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 361, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 53, in load_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\zipplugin.py", line 157, in load
calibre.customize.PluginNotFound: Cannot access u'plugin.zip'

C:\Users\Chris>
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You have to use the ful path to the actual plugin zip file, not "plugin.zip"
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Cristobal

Thanks Kovid

This is what I typed in, and the result.

C:\Users\Chris>calibre-customize -a c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre_Plugins\Plugin.zip

'calibre-customize' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Last edited by Cristobal; 02-25-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
jamesflames316
jamesflames316 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I had the same issue and just found a fix running 0.9.23 on Vista. I changed the compatibility mode to XP (SP2). I was successfully able to install my plugins with no crashes at all. Hope this helps. I created an account just to reply.
jamesflames316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
User Plugins should be installed into the (users) Calibre Configuration folder, not the programs folder.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #15
an0n
an0n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
I had the same issue. calibre crashed when I clicked "load plugin from file".

But I solved it when I opened my SpiderOak application and disabled "enable OS integration".

Works fine now
an0n is offline   Reply With Quote