Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Afraid to Abandon Sony...

I've had a Sony PRS 500 since, basically, the beginning. (I think that was Fall of 2006?) Before that, I had the Rocket eBook.

When the Rocket eBook hit its demise, I was so disappointed in it that I never picked it up again. I have several books unread on it. (I suppose I can charge it and read them, but never have.)

I would love to have the Kindle if only for the ability to get newspapers, blogs and so on. But, I have a lot of unread content on my Sony PRS 500. I am worried that if I have the Kindle, I will never read on the Sony again.

Anyone with experience on this? Do you go back and forth between the devices? (Actually, my husband is also an avid reader, but he refuses to use the e-books, so I can't just give the PRS 500 to him...)

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Are all the unread books you have bought from the Sony store?

You can get News and Blogs on the Sony too... you just need to hook it to your computer to do so.

What you could do is just commit to not buying any more books, and once you've read all your books then get your Kindle.

I also started with the PRS-500. Got it for Christmas the year it came out... so probably a few months after you got yours. But, I never bought any books from Sony. So, all the books I got for the Sony I have been able to also put on my Kindle. My son now uses the Sony. I have yet to buy any kindle books, but that will change because I am running low on eBooks. Although I still have yet to get Jordan's 11 books which I'm sure I will buy DRM free from his store. I think eventually I will get a second Kindle as I start buying Kindle books.

As far as your husband, that sounds like his problem, not yours! Has he "tried" to use the Sony at least?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 07-15-2008 at 11:31 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE View Post
I've had a Sony PRS 500 since, basically, the beginning. (I think that was Fall of 2006?) Before that, I had the Rocket eBook.

When the Rocket eBook hit its demise, I was so disappointed in it that I never picked it up again. I have several books unread on it. (I suppose I can charge it and read them, but never have.)

I would love to have the Kindle if only for the ability to get newspapers, blogs and so on. But, I have a lot of unread content on my Sony PRS 500. I am worried that if I have the Kindle, I will never read on the Sony again.

Anyone with experience on this? Do you go back and forth between the devices? (Actually, my husband is also an avid reader, but he refuses to use the e-books, so I can't just give the PRS 500 to him...)

Betty
My wife and I regularly switch between two devices (505 & Nokia tablets). The Nokia's form-factor is more convenient for certain situations.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
That was me as well, I had an old rocket ebook that I loved, until the battery died and it proved impossible to get them to send me the right kind to replace it. It definitely has a couple of books I never read on it, although I'd tended to sticking to DRM-free. I read a lot of Baen on it.

At the same time, I had a PDA that I'd read eReader books on and a few lit books. Format shifting is definitely an issue. But I have, at any given moment, switched between reading books on a PDA, a dedicated ebook reader and on my Treo. Every once in a while, it's even the same book

Also, with my Cybook currently being dead, I'm back to reading on my PDA. So there is definitely some appeal in redundancy.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's exactly why I've standardised on the MobiPocket format as my personal "standard". There are so many different devices that can read it that one is never left "bookless" should one device die, or you want to buy a different device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Hey, Betty, I traveled the exact same road. I still have two of the Rocket eBooks. I read all the booksI bought (when they announced they were dropping it, I bought a huge number). I also downloaded many books from Gutenberg. I still use it to read them now and then when I want back lighting to read in bed or in dark rooms, so not a total loss until the batteries finally die. It had loads of nifty features, as you know, that stupid Sony did not bother to incorporate.

Anyway, I too got the Sony Reader as soon as it came out. Despite its shortcomings, it still was great and used it all the time. Then of course, Amazon had to ruin everything by coming out with the Kindle!

I immediately bought one and have been totally delighted with it. I gave the Sony to my wife, who does not read that much, but all my books are available for her to read at her leisure.

I had read all the Sony books I had purchased, so no reason to go back and forth. However, if I had any unread ones, I certainly would have read them, using both devices. I don't think you will regret getting the Kindle at all. Once you've read all Sony's books, you can sell it on eBay or craigslist, and just enjoy the Kindle. Don't forget, almost all Amazon's books are still less expensive that Sony's.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
BettyE
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Are all the unread books you have bought from the Sony store?

You can get News and Blogs on the Sony too... you just need to hook it to your computer to do so.

What you could do is just commit to not buying any more books, and once you've read all your books then get your Kindle.

I also started with the PRS-500. Got it for Christmas the year it came out... so probably a few months after you got yours. But, I never bought any books from Sony. So, all the books I got for the Sony I have been able to also put on my Kindle. My son now uses the Sony. I have yet to buy any kindle books, but that will change because I am running low on eBooks. Although I still have yet to get Jordan's 11 books which I'm sure I will buy DRM free from his store. I think eventually I will get a second Kindle as I start buying Kindle books.

As far as your husband, that sounds like his problem, not yours! Has he "tried" to use the Sony at least?

BOb

Bob - Thanks for your quick reply. Most of my content is from Sony. I tried the conversions but they were cumbersome.

No, my husband never even tried the Sony (or the Rocket, for that matter). However, I called him (I am in Japan this week and he is in NJ) and I think he felt sorry for my almost 24-hour door-to-door trip and he said he has no problem if I order the Kindle and he will try the e-books, etc. So a combination of your input, plus guilt, broke the log jam.

Needless to say, I placed my order so the Kindle will be waiting for me when I get home on Friday night.

As you said, I will not buy more Sony books (unless it turns out that my husband and I can move back and forth between the devices).

Best regards -

Betty
Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
BettyE
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
My wife and I regularly switch between two devices (505 & Nokia tablets). The Nokia's form-factor is more convenient for certain situations.

Jeff -

Okay. I decided to go with the Kindle and see if my husband and I can go back and forth between devices. As I mentioned to Bob, I managed to guilt my husband into agreeing to try e-books.

Best regards -

Betty
Old 07-15-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
BettyE
Connoisseur

Thanks, also, to Harry and rixte. You supported me in my Kindle decision, too.

And, Geoff - yes, we have been down the same road. As you were answering, I was already online ordering my Kindle, but I appreciate your feedback. I had done the math on my recent Sony purchases and, I agree, I would have saved quite a bit on just a few items.

So, I will see how it goes with the Kindle and Sony combo. Wish me luck!

Best regards -

Betty
Old 07-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Good luck.

I'm a Kindle owner and I take it with me everywhere I go. Right now I'm sitting in the back of a classroom, posting in forums instead of getting work done, and my Kindle is at my left elbow, ready for me to take a quick break and dive back into Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. As far as content goes, it's likely that you'll find more books at Amazon than at the Sony store. But, here at MobileRead, there are quite a lot of books which have been uploaded in BBeB format and for which there is not {yet} a MobiPocket version. So, depending on what you are wanting to read, you may find quite a lot more use for your Sony reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyE View Post
Bob - Thanks for your quick reply. Most of my content is from Sony.

Needless to say, I placed my order so the Kindle will be waiting for me when I get home on Friday night.
You are most welcome. Congrats on your purchase. I can't wait to see your message about how much you love the Kindle! And, in the unlikely situation that you don't, you can return it and get a Sony 505... which has the better screen like the Kindle and would allow you to share books with your hubby's 500.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #12
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I know you have ordered a kindle and not to play devil's advocate but, If you could have gotten your blogs and Newspapers on the Sony wouldn't it have been better to be a two Sony household? I am kind of in the same boat, One of us likes the Sony the other the Kindle, I would much rather have two of the same devices to transfer content back and forth.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My husband didn't think he'd enjoy ebooks, either. He tried one book on my Kindle and still wasn't quite sure. He didn't like the buttons and I think the M-Edge case wasn't as comfy for him. He thought it was ok but not great. Then he started taking the train to work and figured while he wasn't thrilled with it, the convenience would be worth it. Now that he's used to it and has more experience of the advantages, he actually loves it and wouldn't go back. He likes the stock case better and has adjusted to the big buttons. I think what really clinched it was finishing his book on the train a few times and having another right there or not being in the mood for his current book and being able to switch to something else right away. I think a lot of reluctant readers out there would change their minds if they used any of these devices for a few days and really felt the difference.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #14
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I switch back and forth from the Kindle and paper books. I would think switching from Kindle to Sony would be no different, possibly even easier. BTW, I avoid proprietary formats and DRM for the reasons you mention above, books get stuck on one reader. What a stupid idea that was. I actually wouldn't mind DRM if it were used only to validate user rights. To use it to lock a person into one reader is too limiting to the customer IMO.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best way to work things with the Kindle and a Sony is to purchase content in MS Reader format and use ConvertLIT to remove the DRM & also explode the content into it's base parts. That way you can do fairly easy conversions (without DRM) to LRF & Mobipocket for the same eBook. Calibre and Mobipocket Publisher do fairly pain-free conversions that you will enjoy reading.

Now, speaking of Calibre, you can use Calibre to download newspapers, bogs, and more web content. You can get a 505 cheaper then a Kindle and you will have the same Vizplex screen that the Kindle uses. That way, you will be 100% compatible with the 500. Have a look at Calibre and look are the forum at threads on Calibre or Libprs500 (the former name of Calibre). See what you find and then decide once you have enough information to make an informed decision. After that if you decide you still want a Kindle, go for it. But you might find you'll go for a 505. Only you can say. But please do your homework first.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote