Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Question: Converting for Kindle from ePub

I have a good collection of ebooks in ePub format, because my only dedicated ebook reader is a Sony PRS-600. I do most of my reading these days on an iPad, but I'm considering getting a Kindle 3. I know that some books I've converted through Calibre, namely PDFs, are difficult to read because of formatting. Is the Calibre formatting from ePub to Kindle format any better? I know that some books, the ones I've purchased on Smashwords, can be downloaded again in mobi format for the Kindle (good reason to choose Smashwords over other distribution methods!). Anyone have firsthand knowledge of ePub to mobi conversions?
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't use PDF conversion as a basis for comparison. A PDF file is not a book, and doesn't contain text, hence is extremely difficult to convert.

ePub files generally convert pretty cleanly to Mobi. You may get the occasional quirk, such as a drop capital (which ePub supports, but Mobi doesn't) finishing up on a line by itself, but that's about the limit of it. Generally speaking, conversion from ePub to Mobi will work well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
if your ebooks in epub format isn't DRMed then calibre does a good job of converting to mobi format. I have converted my complete library from other formats to mobi so I can read on kindle for pc. I am now waiting to get my K3 that I ordered on Aug 27. I hope to get a shipping notice soon.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineNH View Post
I have a good collection of ebooks in ePub format, because my only dedicated ebook reader is a Sony PRS-600. I do most of my reading these days on an iPad, but I'm considering getting a Kindle 3. I know that some books I've converted through Calibre, namely PDFs, are difficult to read because of formatting. Is the Calibre formatting from ePub to Kindle format any better? I know that some books, the ones I've purchased on Smashwords, can be downloaded again in mobi format for the Kindle (good reason to choose Smashwords over other distribution methods!). Anyone have firsthand knowledge of ePub to mobi conversions?
Calibre's conversion from ePub to Kindle format should be perfectly acceptable. PDF conversion is a lot more tricky, technically.

If you really want to get the best conversion possible, you can unpack the ePubs and run them through KindleGen, tweaking anything in the ePub formatting that needs it. But this probably isn't worth doing for the majority of books, and for some Calibre will still do a better job unless you put in a lot of effort.

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-08-2010 at 08:37 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I try to buy everything in ePub first, remove DRM (if needed), and then load them into calibre. Calibre then converts it to Mobi so I can send it on to my Kindle 3 (or stay in ePub if it is to be read on my Kobo). I have not noticed any problems. I just finished two books on my Kindle 3:The Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest; and Crown Conspiracy. Both were purchased on Kobo (ePub)and looked great to me when I read them on the Kindle 3.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Wow, quick answers, thanks! I think I'll be looking into ordering that Kindle 3!
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I've done the same - moved from a Sony PRS505 to a Kindle 2i and then Kindle 3 and I agree with HarryT - the only faults I found were DropCaps don't work, also on some books where the first paragraph of a chapter is a different font from the rest in an EPUB, it got a big confused in the MOBI file and that font went really big. But I'd say 90% of what I converted worked really well.

PDFs are a PITA though - I still have quite a few to get through. When I first had the Sony, Adobe PDF seemed more common for what I wanted to read, but thankfully a lot of books moved to EPUB.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Sony purchased books are ALL DRM

How does one remove the DRM from the purchased Sony ePub books? All of them have DRM protection.

Can Calibre remove the DRM as it converts them to AZW (Kindle) format?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do a Google search for "ePub DRM removal". It is our site policy not to provide instructions for DRM removal here. No, Calibre won't remove DRM; you need to remove the DRM before converting the book with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I had over 600 books to convert into MOBI format from various formats, epub, rtf and text PDF's, none of them had DRM

I converted them all using Calibre. It was very easy, and simple, and the resulted MOBI files are fine, and loaded into my Kindle easily
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote