Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
superplinio
superplinio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Author names

I find the information about the authors of a book a bit confusing.

I like to order the authors using the surname so I want in the authors filter to see something like this:

* Asimov, Isaac
* Card, Orson Scott

etc.

My first attempt was to introduce the author as "Asimov, Isaac" but Calibre understands that there are two different authors called "Asimov" and "Isaac" respectively.

The second attempt was to introduce "Isaac Asimov". The name in correctly identified and the Author sort shows "Asimov, Isaac" as I wanted. But sadly the information of the authors that is normally showed is that of the Authors name and not the Authors sort, so I have the collection ordered by name and not by surname as I wanted.

The final solution is a not very elegant fix, I put as the name "Asimov Isaac" and fixed the author sort manually.

So my main question is... Is it possible to show the author sort column in the main table of calibre instead of the author name? is it any strategy to sort authors by surname different from the one I had chosen.

Regards...
superplinio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by superplinio View Post
I find the information about the authors of a book a bit confusing.

I like to order the authors using the surname so I want in the authors filter to see something like this:

* Asimov, Isaac
* Card, Orson Scott

etc.

My first attempt was to introduce the author as "Asimov, Isaac" but Calibre understands that there are two different authors called "Asimov" and "Isaac" respectively.

The second attempt was to introduce "Isaac Asimov". The name in correctly identified and the Author sort shows "Asimov, Isaac" as I wanted. But sadly the information of the authors that is normally showed is that of the Authors name and not the Authors sort, so I have the collection ordered by name and not by surname as I wanted.

The final solution is a not very elegant fix, I put as the name "Asimov Isaac" and fixed the author sort manually.

So my main question is... Is it possible to show the author sort column in the main table of calibre instead of the author name? is it any strategy to sort authors by surname different from the one I had chosen.

Regards...
That is what "Author sort" does

Enter "Isaac Asimov" as Author
Click the button next to the Author sort field in the Meta data Browser.

Save
When you sort the Library by the Author column,
Isaac Asimov will be in the proper place in the "A"'s, not in the "I"'s
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
superplinio

Yes you are right but there are some problems:

* The name is shown as "Isaac Asimov" although ordered as "Asimov, Isaac", it is a bit confusing

* In the filter by authors (the pane at the left side) the authors are ordered by authors name (not by authors sort) so Dan Brown is before Isaac Asimov

* The device does not take into account the author sort but the author name, so again we have an order by name and not by surname.

What I am trying to say is that the author sort it is pretty useless this way if it is not used consistently in all the program.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Deleted.

Last edited by JMikeD; 02-09-2010 at 08:26 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
superplinio

There is no more opinions about this issue, I think it is important because I know some people that are using the same workaround as me (introducing the author as "Asimov Isaac") to avoid the ordering by name both in Calibre and in the device
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
calibre 0.6.39 provides three options for how author_sort is computed from author. Using one of these options may help you get what you want.

1) As it always has been. Author is assumed to be in FN LN format, and author_sort is set to LN, FN
2) Copy author to author_sort without modification. This is useful for those who always enter authors and LN, FN
3) A combination of 1 and 2. Use #2 if there is a comma in the name, otherwise use #1.

You control the method using calibre's new 'tweaks' feature. There will be a file in your calibre working folder called tweaks.py. Where this is depends on your system and version. For me, using Windows 7, it is here
Code:
"C:\Users\charles\AppData\Roaming\calibre\tweaks.py"
Change the value of the variable author_sort_copy_method to the value indicated by the comments. Make sure it stays quoted.

The default behavior is #1. If you change the variable to something other than indicated in the comments, the behavior will remain the default.

If the author_sort_copy_method and associated comments are not already in the tweaks.py file, see 'resources/default_tweaks.py' in your calibre installation directory for this information.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
SnakeMM
SnakeMM began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Magic
After changing "invert" to "copy" how to change in bulk mode order of sorting?

Ok I have done this.

Last edited by SnakeMM; 02-27-2010 at 05:01 AM.
SnakeMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authors name, authors sort, order by surname