Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #166
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I completely quit buying DVDs when I realized I could rent whatever I wanted to watch from Netflix. I probably have a few hundred DVDs, I think they are all going to end up in next year's garage sale.
Oh I quit too but I've still got DVDs from before. Some are years old and still wrapped.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #167
mobilis
drowned in old books
mobilis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question

I like to keep most of mine with me, just in case I have to know- when on out and about- what the name of a minor character in Charles Dickens was or which chapter this-and-that happens in Tale of Genji.

It's nice to be able to search for, say, "Akashi" or "Scrooge" and have EVERY reference to the character pop up: not only in the work itself, but also in every analysis and essay devoted to the book, as well as other works maki reference to it.

(I know, I have no life!)

It also makes me feel a bit more secure to have most or ALL of my books with me, so that if a metor hits the house or I get trapped on a desert island, I would still have all of my books to read. Not that reading should really be a priority in those eventualities.

I like having all my books with me- especially the reference books and classic novels. :x And I feel like the storage space and database/indexing capability of the Kindle is being WAAASTED if I don't have almost everything on it. (I take it too far, TBH: in my dragging EVERYTHING onto it, I think I ended up with 2 or 3 versions of some of the older books... So sorting the read/unread categories is abit of a drudge.)

It makes the device run more slowly, so perhaps I haven't acted prudently...
mobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #168
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I keep a few hundred books on each ereader, and they are all TBR books and favorites that I periodically re-read. Normally, when I finish a book I delete it from the ereader.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #169
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I'm thinking about acquiring a raspberry pi mini computer, and dedicating it to become a Calibre server. As most ereaders have a browser, it'd be as good as any cloud and much more versatile with regard to sorting and searching.

I basically have wifi everywhere I go, and if I don't, I'll activate my phone's wifi hotspot so the Kindle can connect through that and use the phone's 3G connection.

I could then acquire every book I have, almost as fast as buying it in the online store.

Maybe I can also use my old but already running Atom computer, that I use to play my FLAC music through XBMC. That would draw much more power, however.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-10-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 AM   #170
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
\And when I say I don't travel, I don't mean I don't travel much ... I mean at all. 100 miles from my computer/bookshelf just does not compute, man. Hell, 15 miles barely computes. I got the wanderlust out of my system a long time ago. Now I (quite happily) live my life in a five-mile radius (I'd bet over 90% is within a 1 mile radius).
Ok, my brain is just kinda exploding over that one. I just can't wrap my head around the idea. I'm kinda guessing you might live in a large city? I'm not judging, I just have problems wrapping my head around the idea. Of course, I'm also used to the idea of just hopping in the car and driving around just to get out of the house for a while.

I'd probably starve, I'm not sure there's anything within 1 mile that sells groceries. Heck, even in the 5 mile radius, I think the only things would be 7-11 type stores.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #171
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Heh. For me I can see where DiapDealer is coming from: I'm 2km away from 3 shopping malls, 5 minutes away from a bunch of restaurants ranging from budget to high end; just about everything I'd need to live comfortably is accessible in under 30 minutes by foot or by car. Only thing not around here is a decent library, alas!
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #172
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I did it. i put 3000 Ebooks on a microsdcard on my Sony Reader PRS T1. And? It does not slow down. Okay the first time (20 minutes or so) after putting on so much books the reader needs time to scan the new books an collections. But if that done, ist no problem to search for book, search in you collections etc. I know a other guy storing even more ebooks on an micro sd card on his Sony Reader PRS T2.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #173
Seraphine
Nameless Being

I keep my entire ebook library with me on my device - though I must say that it's significantly smaller than the libraries that a lot of you have in your possession! My only real motivations for this are laziness and lack of foreward-thinking: I don't choose what books I'd like to read after I finish my current one, because I'm indecisive by nature and can spend hours deliberating between two or three books, anyway. An extension of choice doesn't spoil it; the choice is hard enough to begin with! Furthermore, I find it much speedier and more satisfying to press ctrl + a and then 'Send to Device'. It saves having to scroll through my separate Calibre libraries, spend hours considering what I'll want to read, and then shift + select numerous titles to send.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #174
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by samy2 View Post
I did it. i put 3000 Ebooks on a microsdcard on my Sony Reader PRS T1. And? It does not slow down. Okay the first time (20 minutes or so) after putting on so much books the reader needs time to scan the new books an collections. But if that done, ist no problem to search for book, search in you collections etc. I know a other guy storing even more ebooks on an micro sd card on his Sony Reader PRS T2.
That's not all that many books compared to many. I keep about 2,000 on mine as a limit because that's what it seems happiest at. You can certainly get more on it before it you see it start to have problems. 3,000 -4,000 just seems to be when it starts to lose it.

When it starts to have problems it's not about being slow, it's about the firmware locking up, processes having to stop, and getting a fully black screen when trying to navigate from an open book back to the main menu.

You also have to work with it for a while. It doesn't happen every time, but will happen several times during a week.

If you're lucky, it won't happen, but I'm not the only one to have this problem with very high numbers, on all of my T1's and T2's.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #175
samy2
Ebook-Fan
samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samy2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
You also have to work with it for a while. It doesn't happen every time, but will happen several times during a week.

If you're lucky, it won't happen, but I'm not the only one to have this problem with very high numbers, on all of my T1's and T2's.
I will share my experience in a week or two. But i'm in a good mood. This other guy has 10,000 Ebooks on his T2, and has nor problems.
samy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #176
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Ok, my brain is just kinda exploding over that one. I just can't wrap my head around the idea. I'm kinda guessing you might live in a large city? I'm not judging, I just have problems wrapping my head around the idea. Of course, I'm also used to the idea of just hopping in the car and driving around just to get out of the house for a while.

I'd probably starve, I'm not sure there's anything within 1 mile that sells groceries. Heck, even in the 5 mile radius, I think the only things would be 7-11 type stores.
No large city. A very small town actually. But it does have a grocery store. As well as convenience stores and drug stores. And pizza shops. A couple of restaraunts, bars and churches. A library. Elementary school, middle school, high school. Two parks. A cheese factory/dairy and several other businesses. All easily within a one-mile radius of where I live. Most within very casual walking distance.

I assure you, the idea of "just hopping in the car and driving around to get out of the house for a bit" is just as brain-asploding to me... especially at $3.50-4.00 per gallon.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 AM   #177
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No large city. A very small town actually. But it does have a grocery store. As well as convenience stores and drug stores. And pizza shops. A couple of restaraunts, bars and churches. A library. Elementary school, middle school, high school. Two parks. A cheese factory/dairy and several other businesses. All easily within a one-mile radius of where I live. Most within very casual walking distance.
I've lived in a couple of places like that, and have found that they felt more like the core of big cities than the suburbia and highway towns that a lot of people live in. Of course those small towns have their benefits (cleaner, quieter, you know most of the people) and the big cities have their benefits (opportunity, variety, almost noone knows you).
Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #178
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilis View Post
It also makes me feel a bit more secure to have most or ALL of my books with me, so that if a metor hits the house or I get trapped on a desert island, I would still have all of my books to read.
Ensure that you have a good book on chemistry, since you'll need to make a battery for your ereader eventually.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #179
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
I'm wondering why you are wondering.

Is there any reasen to have only a few books on the reader. Big SD-cards aren't expensive. The weigth is the same. So why shall I do not carry all books with me?
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #180
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Ensure that you have a good book on chemistry, since you'll need to make a battery for your ereader eventually.
And people thought I was crazy for carrying copper wire, galvinized nails and potatoes everwhere I went. BWAH ha ha ha! The joke will be on them when the Zombie Apocalypse hits.

Forget American Express. Potato: Don't leave home without it!
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote