Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
u3lvbzx02
u3lvbzx02 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Kobo Aura HD
Offline Browsing on reader

BeBook newbie here, I was thinking of using my device for offline web browsing in the style described here.

Supposedly, FBReader should be able to read the Plucker files generated by Sunrise, but on my device (bebook under openinkpot 0.1 live version) it seems to crash shortly after opening the file. (the file opens fine with the linux FBReader)

Two questions for the veterans here: Were you able to successfully use Sunrise-generated Plucker files on the Hanlin/bebook/lbook?

What other workflow are you using for offline browsing?
u3lvbzx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3lvbzx02 View Post
Supposedly, FBReader should be able to read the Plucker files generated by Sunrise, but on my device (bebook under openinkpot 0.1 live version) it seems to crash shortly after opening the file. (the file opens fine with the linux FBReader)
Send me the file, I'll try to fix this issue.
lunohod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
u3lvbzx02
u3lvbzx02 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
Send me the file, I'll try to fix this issue.
Hi lunohod, I sent you the files.
u3lvbzx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3lvbzx02 View Post
BeBook newbie here, I was thinking of using my device for offline web browsing in the style described here.
I wrote that article, thanks for leaving a comment. I'll answer it here if that's OK.

I've had mixed success using FBreader under OI, but I can (usually) open plucker files generated by Sunrise Desktop. I use OI from time to time but generally it isn't stable enough for use 100% of the time yet.

To read Plucker on the V3 I use Lunohod's last modified lBook firmware with FBReader in that, and I find that works extremely well. There may be a later version of the same elsewhere I think.

To comment about workflow, I use Plucker because it works across all my devices with various readers, but there are alternatives that might work better on the Hanlin V3 if other platforms aren't relevant.

Bookit is a Firefox extension that uses Calibre to produce books for the Sony readers. It is also capable of generating epub documents from HTML pages sent via the Bookit extension. I've had no success at all getting an epub document out of Calibre at this stage though - I need to spend some more time on this. But that route looks like a pretty good way of integrating document generation into web browsing.

Another alternative is to package up straight HTML into a zip file I guess. Maybe the Scrapbook extension in Firefox is relevant here.

I'd be interested to hear how other people handle ebook workflow - what tools they use and how they use them.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
MikusR
MikusR began at the beginning.

Device: lBook V3
For offline reading of webpages (print mode works best) I use http://web2fb2.net/
MikusR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #6
anarres
anarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the rough

Device: none yet
I open this issue because I'd like to know if the bug with sunrise/plucker files is already solved in the fbreader of the latest versions of openinkpot

This is a really critical aspect for me in order to decide what device to buy. I want to use it to read press offline.

I'm not sure about solutions like web2fb2 because (I think) they only let you to download an only level of each defined home page (in sunrise/plucker you can choose it)

Thanks and sorry my english
anarres is offline   Reply With Quote