Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast
slvrsplsh doesn't litterslvrsplsh doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Nook Color
Irreversibly Bricked?

I am running a PRS-T1
Mods: Rupors Minimal Root.

OK While I was reading, the 'Dictionary' popped up and my screen locked. I was able to go to the 'Home Page'. It locked up. I tried a shut down but the 'Off Screen' never appeared. I shut it off using the 'Reset'. When I turned it back on it got to 'Opening Book' page, and it quit. Now all that shows up is the 'Opening Book' with no progress in the 'Progress Bar'. When the battery has enough charge the Reader cycles between a white screen and the 'Opening Book' screen. After discharge it shows the 'Opening Book' page.

I have tried every thing I know,everything I could find on Mobileread and everything Sony Tech Support could suggest. I WILL ask if anyone has tried opening the back cover and re-flashing the internal sdcard, idea?

Last edited by slvrsplsh; 01-07-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Poor Grammar
slvrsplsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
You can try installing the recovery package. Copy the "OS Firmware" folder onto the micro-SD card, insert the card into the reader. Reset the reader (push the RESET hole with a pin). Turn the reader on while holding HOME and MENU keys. Continue pushing both keys until the "Opening book..." bar is about half way through. The screen should show "Updating", wait till it says it's done (may take a while). Reset again, this time letting it boot into the Normal mode. Most of the time it does help.

Good luck!

Last edited by porkupan; 01-07-2013 at 11:01 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

I gotta wonder... This is acting like a dead battery. when it cycles it is going to white page then to 'Opening Book' page for a few seconds and then cycles again ad infiinitum. This happens even when I try to go into recovery mode. Anyone have anyone have any thoughts on this.

Last edited by slvrsplsh; 01-08-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If it was a dead battery it wouldn't be able to change the display at all, it would be a blank white screen. Changing the screen, evento "Opening Book", requires power with e-ink.

Are you able to access the files if you plug the reader into the USB cable? I'd try deleting all the books, sometimes a really badly formatted book can cause issues.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is not a dead battery.

In the private message you wrote that you "tried it and it didn't work". What didn't work? Did you get the Updating screen? Or were you not able to get the reader into the Recovery mode? If you were not able to get the reader to update, you need to re-read the instructions and/or try harder. The reader must go into the Updating screen.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. What happened was nothing. There was no change in the behaviour of my reader at all; just the continuous cycling between the white page and the opening book screen. I have, as I said, done every recovery technique I could find and nothing changes with my device. Would thoroughly depleting the battery and starting with the "SD Recovery" maybe have a chance of success?

Last edited by slvrsplsh; 01-08-2013 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Redundancy
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsplsh View Post
Would thoroughly depleting the battery and starting with the "SD Recovery" maybe have a chance of success?
There is no need to deplete the battery. To enter the SD Recovery all you need is to hold the HOME and MENU buttons while the reader's power is coming up. If the reader keeps resetting on its own, that's even easier.

Does the SD Recovery engage at all? Does the "Updating..." screen show up?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Does the SD Recovery engage at all? Does the "Updating..." screen show up?
Sorry to report that "SD Recovery" doesn't work. All I get is the "Opening Book" screen with no progress in the progress bar. I get no response from it, whatever I do. It wont shut down, and it wont start up.
Is it possible that it is irreversibly bricked?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrsplsh View Post
Is it possible that it is irreversibly bricked?
You cannot brick a Sony reader "irreversibly". Well, you can, but in all probability yours is not the case. Your battery may be depleted, so it makes sense to hook the unit up to the wall charger (most micro-USB phone chargers would do).

You need to press RESET (you see the little pin hole on the bottom? give it a little push with a staple end), then start holding the HOME and MENU buttons, and then turn the power on (power button). The reader will reboot. After the "thermometer" is half the way through, stop pressing the HOME and MENU buttons.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
You cannot brick a Sony reader "irreversibly". Well, you can, but in all probability yours is not the case. Your battery may be depleted, so it makes sense to hook the unit up to the wall charger (most micro-USB phone chargers would do).

You need to press RESET (you see the little pin hole on the bottom? give it a little push with a staple end), then start holding the HOME and MENU buttons, and then turn the power on (power button). The reader will reboot. After the "thermometer" is half the way through, stop pressing the HOME and MENU buttons.
Didn't you say before that you should wait until the progress bar in the "Opening book" page has reached the right side (about 20 seconds) and then release buttons?
Now you say that waiting to the "thermometer" is half the way through is enough... I'm surprised...
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark69 View Post
Now you say that waiting to the "thermometer" is half the way through is enough... I'm surprised...
Half way seems to be enough.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Shark69
Zealot
Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shark69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Half way seems to be enough.
Thanks
Shark69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Porkupan, The problem is that it wont shut down even using the "reset button. All the Reader shows is the "thermometer" Blank and not moving. I am very familiar with rooting and updating my reader. I have never seen this problem in MobileRead. It has me stumped. That is why I brought it to the Forum.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #14
slvrsplsh
Enthusiast

Quote:
Porkupan, The problem is that it wont shut down even using the "reset button. All the Reader shows is the "thermometer" Blank and not moving. I am very familiar with rooting and updating my reader. I have never seen this problem in MobileRead. It has me stumped. That is why I brought it to the Forum.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
porkupan
Fanatic

You need to hook the reader up to a working wall charger. The RESET not working means only one thing: the battery is dead. The reset in Sony readers only cuts power to the CPU. You must turn the reader on to get it to boot. But you have to charge it first.

Tags
bricked, rescue