Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
Earned another 1.9G from GLO

Today I took the internal sd out from GLO, found it is Sandisk, class4, the capacity is 4G.

As I knew, GLO's space shoud be 2G, so I watched it's partition via LinuxReader, found 1.9g is unused. Then I tried to expand the reader partition to cover this freespace and got sucess.
Now when I link my GLO to PC, I have about 3G space to put book.

I think maybe sometime 2GB microsds were cosumed up in KOBO‘s warehouse, so they put a 4GB microsd.

Last edited by xuyn2003; 12-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Elfuente
Enthusiast
Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Elfuente turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: kobo glo
Could I simply exchange the internal 2g with an 8g?
Elfuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Nice!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfuente View Post
Maybe,tomorrow or this weekend I will try to replace it with an 8G class 10 microsd, I will tell you the result.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfuente View Post
Yes, if you clone the partition and then expand it. Look in the Developers forum.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
BigNic
BigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi everybody,
I did a fdisk -l (in run.sh) on my glo and found that sd is also 4g. But I not enable to connect with telnet on it and linuxReader don't detect unused space. Does anyone have an idea on how I can get back this space ?
Does busybox have a command to extend partition ?
Which version of linux reader do you use ? (mine is Disk internal 1.6.4.0).
Thank by advance for your helps.

Nic.
BigNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
xuyn2003
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNic View Post
Hi everybody,
I did a fdisk -l (in run.sh) on my glo and found that sd is also 4g. But I not enable to connect with telnet on it and linuxReader don't detect unused space. Does anyone have an idea on how I can get back this space ?
Does busybox have a command to extend partition ?
Which version of linux reader do you use ? (mine is Disk internal 1.6.4.0).
Thank by advance for your helps.

Nic.
I just opened the backcover of GLO, took the internal micro sdcard out,
put the micro sd card in a card reader, connected the card reader to the PC, then you could do every thing on the microsd as your will.

And, I found class 10 micro sd will not contribute to the perfomance.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
BigNic
BigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura aboutBigNic has a spectacular aura about

Thank's xuyn2003,
this what I miss, remove the back cover. Actually I was searching for a way without to do that. But it looks like it is not possible. I tried Gpart and other partition tools, but they still not see the real size of the SD.
BigNic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the best/safest way to back up a bit-for-bit copy of an SD card in either Linux or OSX that I can restore if anything goes bad
Old 12-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
A simple ">dd if=/dev/sdd of=sdbackup.img" or similar would do the trick.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
stewacide
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
A simple ">dd if=/dev/sdd of=sdbackup.img" or similar would do the trick.
When I tried this, as...

Code:
dd if=/Volumes/KOBOeReader of=/Users/stewacide/Desktop/kobo.img
...the resultant image is only 16kb! This is with the internal SD card plugged into the system using OSX. What am I missing?

edit -- nevermind that seems to be just one of a couple partitions on the card. Needed to dd /dev/disk1.

p.s. What is on the first two partitions? I assume one is the firmware and the other the backup firmware in case of a hard reset? Can't seem to mount the partitions under OSX.

edit2 -- booted into Linux. Indeed what I thought. Will have a poke around...

Last edited by stewacide; 12-30-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
BrainDead
BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.BrainDead goes to eleven.

Tried to get the back off mine but to no avail. Fingernails won't go in anywhere. Anyone know how to do this safely without using something sharp like a knife or flexing it too much and risking damaging the screen?

Will opening the back it void the warrant? Mine is only 2 months old.
Apart form taking advantage of any additional storage the SD card may have, I would like to back up the partition in case it ever gets bricked in the future.

PS. Thanks for confirming that a class 10 card does not add anything to the performance.

Anyone know whether it can take UHS-I cards?

Last edited by BrainDead; 01-03-2013 at 09:57 AM.
BrainDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #13
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDead View Post
Tried to get the back off mine but to no avail. Fingernails won't go in anywhere. Anyone know how to do this safely without using something sharp like a knife or flexing it too much and risking damaging the screen?
I find that thinish guitar picks work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDead View Post
Will opening the back it void the warrant? Mine is only 2 months old.
I haven't seen anything that says so. But then, I haven't really looked.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #14
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
I opened my touch, and found it had a microSD card, BUT the black plastic socket seen in the picture above, is inside a silver cage and I cannot get the card to slide out. It moves about 0.5 mm, but won't slide right out.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
MicroSD cards can be a bit fiddly to get out...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote