Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
Ringworld by Larry Niven

Any of you guys reads these books.
I read the first, but was a bit disappointed.

Four stars for the first half, two stars for the second.

Began promising and really felt like it was building to something amazing, but nothing really happened.

Also, people seem to never mention the comedy in this book. Definitely has subtle hints of 'Hitcher's Guide' style of comedy.
The luck of Teela Brown.
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ringworld was/is one of my all time favorites. I love/loved all Niven's Known space stories, many great short stories.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ringworld was/is one of my all time favorites. I love/loved all Niven's Known space stories, many great short stories.
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I loved the first Ringworld book. Like the second, Ringworld Engineers, but no where near as much as the first. Did not care for the third, The Ringworld Throne, at all. Based on that I never read Ringworld's Children. All of this is from memories of over 30 years ago.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and yes I must agree many (if not all) of the ring-world follow on novels were poor.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I thought Ringworld was okay, but it didn't inspire me to seek out any more in the same setting.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I thought Ringworld was okay, but it didn't inspire me to seek out any more in the same setting.
The "Known Space" stories cover a much bigger universe than just the ring-world system.

He really created a whole background that is only partially revealed in Ringworld

World of Ptavvs is excellent as are the "Stories of Known Space"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Known_Space
Old 12-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The "Known Space" stories cover a much bigger universe than just the ring-world system.

He really created a whole background that is only partially revealed in Ringworld

World of Ptavvs is excellent as are the "Stories of Known Space"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Known_Space
Excellent observation. A prior reading of a the first couple of Man-Kzin War novels does wonders in understanding the crew visiting Ringworld and their interactions for the first of the Ringworld Books.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #9
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I was just thinking that I wanted to finally read Ringworld, but I can't find it on e-book!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The puppeteers are also explored as an alien species in the 1st book. I remember it for his made up curse word as well. i.e Tanj =There Ain't No Justice. lol. And of course there is Louis Wu and his luck (good and bad) with women.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I was just thinking that I wanted to finally read Ringworld, but I can't find it on e-book!
Do you like audiobooks? Overdrive has it, check your library.

I listened to Ringworld last summer, I enjoyed the sociological themes, but I wasn't inspired to go further.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
It is not commercially available on eBook. But it is around.

I actually listened to the audiobook version, and it was a pretty good job.
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Pierson's Puppeteers first made an appearance in the short story "Neutron Star" which appeared in the collection "Tales of Known Space."

It's surprising how much of Niven's work is unavailable for ereaders.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, Mr Niven's work is sadly unrepresented as ebooks. Pretty much all that's available are his collaborations with Mr Pournelle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #15
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I'd think the Man-Kzin books would be a copyright nightmare with all those different authors..
owly is offline   Reply With Quote