Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #2371
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Good point, forgot about that. Unfortunatelly unlike LRF viewer (by "Sony") EPUB viewer (by Adobe) doesn't read scale values from external files. (or they weren't found yet)
Yeah... that is what I feared

Thanks for the explanation.

Something else, if you don't mind.
Is there a way to force the reader to "forget" paging info for all open LRF, so it has to re-page them when you open them again? (for use when you change the default font, or scale values)

I don't mind if other info is deleted, such as bookmarks or history, I usually read only one book at a time, so a can keep track of bookmarks in case the suggested procedure deletes this info.

I tried deleting media.xml from /database/cache... but it seems to restore the info from some other file...

Surely you know how to do it, but maybe it is not "accessible" to the standard user...

Thanks again

EDITION: I managed to wipe out the info by deleting media.xml, but I had to do a full shutdown just after the deleting the file

Last edited by yolan; 08-19-2011 at 06:24 AM.
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #2372
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Is there a way to force the reader to "forget" paging info for all open LRF, so it has to re-page them when you open them again?
Deleting the mentioned file is one of the ways. I plan to add an action "Reset formatting".
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #2373
yolan
Connoisseur
yolan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Deleting the mentioned file is one of the ways. I plan to add an action "Reset formatting".
THAT would be much appreciated !!
Will this action apply also to EPUB, so you can use it after changing the CSS?
yolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #2374
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolan View Post
THAT would be much appreciated !!
Will this action apply also to EPUB, so you can use it after changing the CSS?
Improving the way you can switch between styles is planned, yes. It won't be soon, but it will be there sooner or later.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #2375
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Instaler for PRS-650 not working

I have tried in a Virtualbox'ed Win XP over MacOS in MacBookPro, and in a native Win XP in a Dell Latitude.

In both cases my 650 Reader is recognized by Windows and partitions READER and SETTING are available under "My PC", but the installer fails with message:

Sony Reader PRS-650 cannot be found

no matter what USB port I use.

Any ideas?
nemiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #2376
kartu
PRS+ author

nemiere
Missing Visual Studio 2008 redistributable might be the reason.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #2377
nemiere
nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nemiere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kartu

That's it!!! I'm been able to install even on virtualbox'ed XP :-)

Thanks, I'm sorry if that is a FAQ...
Old 08-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #2378
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
Lightbulb

Kartu (and other coders),

I've come up with the following bit of code to let users hide the default collections (unread books, unread periodicals, purchased books, add new collection). It works on my 650, and should work on all x50 models (looking at kbook.xs). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. If some extra code is needed, just give me a shout. I'm glad to help where I can

Spoiler:
Code:
var oldkbookPlaylistNode = kbook.root.kbookPlaylistNode.construct;
kbook.root.kbookPlaylistNode.construct = function () {
	oldkbookPlaylistNode.apply(this, arguments);
	this.nodes.splice(this.purchasedNodeIndex - 2,4);
	this.constNodesCount = 0;
	this.presetItemsCount = 0;
};
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #2379
quisvir
Addict
quisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animalsquisvir is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle PW2
By the way, I came across this line which sets the max for the dictionary history and word logs:
Spoiler:
Code:
this.kbook.model.dicHistoriesMax = this.__xs__number.parse('100');

I think someone requested the option to change/remove that limit, so that should be doable (although there are some obvious downsides). I might try my hand at coding something to contribute to PRS+, but I'm still quite new to coding for the sony.
quisvir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #2380
dr_elusive
dr_elusive began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs-650
I am sure this is already here somewhere so i Apologize in advance, But i have a few questions about PRS+ for the 650.
1) Is it easily Reversible, and how common is bricking.
2) Do i have to reload all the content or is protected during flash
3) How much is the interface changed? I like the home screen and how it works currently. I would rather not have it look completely different then stock.
4) The one feature that really draws me to this is the clock on the screen while reading, is there a simpler way to add this?
5) Any drawbacks to the firmware?
6) What are the advantages?

I am not a novice to device hacking I have a fully hacked and customized Palm Pre and been customizing computers for years.

Thanks!
dr_elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #2381
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_elusive View Post
1) Is it easily Reversible, and how common is bricking.
On the project page you can get a PRSP_650_2.0.12beta_setup.exe file that makes installation virtually fool proof. You can also get a uninstaller_650.exe file that will revert back to the standard sony firmware 1.0.00.14080.

I have never heard of anyone bricking their reader. Every instance I have heard where this term was used the person was able to reset it and try again.

Quote:
2) Do i have to reload all the content or is protected during flash
Personally as long as I have ample room for any temp files that may be written during the install I have had success leaving my books in place.

Quote:
3) How much is the interface changed? I like the home screen and how it works currently. I would rather not have it look completely different then stock.
I have a 950 and the interface is essentially the same, with some added flexibility in choosing what is in the bottom row. Go to the project site I think the video there might show your device.

Quote:
4) The one feature that really draws me to this is the clock on the screen while reading, is there a simpler way to add this?
You might be able to use other hacks to implement the clock but I don't think there is a simpler way to add the clock.

Quote:
5) Any drawbacks to the firmware?
I've used the older version on my 505 for well over a year without a hitch and i placed this version on my 950 as soon as I got it about 45 days back. I don't see any drawbacks.

Quote:
6) What are the advantages?
I like the following features the most.

1. Load and choose the font/css I desire to use to view my books.
2. Clock
3. Book History, easily switch between books.
4. I map the home key to shutdown if I hold it down for 3 seconds (?).
5. Ability to take screen shots.
6. For the 950 I can download books from calibre's content server now.

View the project page for the rest of the games and features.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #2382
Calibrefan
Enthusiast
Calibrefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Awesome peace of software!

OK, I took the plunge and installed PRS+ on my Sony prs-350. It installed without a glitch and works seamlessly with the original software. Everything works perfectly as before but with the addition of the extras, above all:

- Clock
- Book history
- Browse folders

I'm sure there's much more to discover but that's the first impact and it improved the original OS precisely where needed.

Together with Calibre this makes the PRS-350 truly come alive! I can't wait for the next version of PRS+ which seems to add the possibility to set the cover page to sync with the current book you're reading. For me that would be the cherry on the cake. Any ideas as to when this version will be released?
Calibrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #2383
nemiere

I have recently installed PRS+ in my 650 and from my experience I want to say that PRS+ is a must for 650.

I encourage everybody with this reader to install this enhanced firmware.

I want to highlight its best advantages from my humble point of view:

- You can read epubs with a custom CSS to use custom fonts. That definitely unveils Pearl screen's real quality: with a proper font nobody can tell you again that Kindle3 screen "looks better"

- You can make very useful keybindings. Eg: Long press of HOME key can be bound to see table of contents, long press of VOLUME keys can be bound going back/forward for last pages visited --two really important functions which are too slow to access from standard menu.

- You can easily read 2 or 3 books at the same time: The "History" of recently opened books enables you to quickly alternate them.

And do not forget that with PRS+ you do not miss any of the standard features and functionality of original firmware. You can use the reader exactly in the same way as without PRS+ if you wish.

I want to express my gratitude to kartu for this talented great work leading the best ereader to its full potential!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 AM   #2384
Twyn
Enthusiast
Twyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTwyn can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Glo and Kobo Mini
Hello,

The feature which would make me install PRS+ on my PRS-650 would be to be able to completely remove the status bar at the bottom of the screen.
With the original firmware it is really frustrating to have only access to a fraction of the screen when reading comics.

I tried to find details on the “customize status bar” feature of PRS+ but couldn’t determine if it allowed complete removal of the status bar.
Couls someone who already installed it tell me if this is the case ?

Thanks in advance !
Twyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #2385
kartu
PRS+ author

Twyn
Removing status bar is not possible at the moment.
If it ever pops up in the future versions, it would require complete reformatting of the books and would also break compatibility with sony ebook library.