Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #46
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
For example, under "Romance" tonight, I found The White Company by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, some PD Westerns, and some Sinclair Lewis. What?!
Maybe they're going by the really old-school definition of "Romance", where it meant a kind of fantastic adventure-type novel?

Or maybe they're just lazy idiots who don't bother even summarily glancing at the works they hope to profit off of. Bet those versions are straight Gutenberg/Google Books rips, too.

I think the moral of this thread is that nobody categorizes things correctly, the browse function is thus rendered useless, readers become increasingly frustrated, and the best way to find new reading in your preferred genre is still to look at what other people/entities devoted to your preferred genre are reading.

I'm willing to go by Locus' sf/fantasy/sometimes-horror listings to alert me of new sf/fantasy books which are sufficiently sfnal/fantastical for my taste. And while I don't read romance aside from the occasional exceptionally interesting/cracktastic-looking freebie, if I did, Smart Bitches Trashy Books would be my go-to place to find out if a given book was romance-y enough to be considered even a crossover romance*.

Ok, so the moral of this thread is actually that word of mouth still rules. And that if you buy a thing once at Amazon, you are branded for life as a prospective buyer of many more of those things by the Recommendations, even if you never want to buy another one of those things, until you fix the recommendations.

* Also for the snarky reviews. Pregnesia†!

† There is a world of cheesy badness implied by that simple portmanteau. And apparently the book lives up to it!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #47
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

* Also for the snarky reviews. Pregnesia†!

† There is a world of cheesy badness implied by that simple portmanteau. And apparently the book lives up to it!
I haven't read _Pregnesia_ but was impressed that the author commented on that review, which was hilarious.

Dear Author is another good blog for romance, although they cover some Urban Fantasy/mystery with romantic elements.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote