Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Question Question about used Kindles

My husband and I both have Kindles, and now the kids are asking for them (teen-aged boys...who knew they READ?!?)

I'm thinking of getting a used Kindle 2 for them from a local person who has already purchased several series of books that I and the boys may both be interested in.

I know that the books stay on the Kindle once they're de-registered, but do they get deleted when you register the Kindle to a new account?

I'm also curious if it would be a problem if I set up a separate account for the kids and swapped registrations between our accounts and the kid's accounts with the same device if we wanted to share books?

I've searched the forums and didn't see much on this.
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I gave my adult son one of my kindles. initially he registered it to his own account, then I wanted to give him some other books that I had purchased since I had given it to him. I had never de-registered it from my account so it kept the original books I had on it, the books he got on his own, and then the newer books I had gotten
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Thank you for your answer!
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekette70 View Post
My husband and I both have Kindles, and now the kids are asking for them (teen-aged boys...who knew they READ?!?)

I'm thinking of getting a used Kindle 2 for them from a local person who has already purchased several series of books that I and the boys may both be interested in.

I know that the books stay on the Kindle once they're de-registered, but do they get deleted when you register the Kindle to a new account?

I'm also curious if it would be a problem if I set up a separate account for the kids and swapped registrations between our accounts and the kid's accounts with the same device if we wanted to share books?

I've searched the forums and didn't see much on this.
The books only stay on the Kindle if the original owner does not remove them. If you go this route you need to make sure that the books stay on the Kindle. If the original owner does a default reset to the original settings, you will lose the ebooks.

If the person does not remove the books, then they will stay on the Kindles until they are deleted by the new owner. Once they are deleted by the new owner, you will not be able to get them back.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote