Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control
Dr. Wily doesn't litterDr. Wily doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 International
Problems Updating to Newest Firmware

Hello, all.
I seem to be having trouble updating my Kindle and am hoping you intrepid eBook-rs could help me out.

I got my Kindle 2 International on my birthday, November 14th. I installed the screensaver hack and all was well. Now, however, I cannot install the newest update. I tried running the screensaver hack uninstaller and it was successful. I even tried the Freekindle update and that was also succesful. However, I still cannot update.

Could someone please walk me through the steps to uninstall the screensaver hack and install the new update before reinstalling custom screensavers?

Thank you.
Dr. Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I'd really like someone to help me out with this.
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Wily View Post
I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I'd really like someone to help me out with this.
If you click the link in my sig you'll find instructions for installing and uninstalling the screensaver hacks. One thing you must be aware of is that you have to use the uninstall .bin file that was packaged with the install .bin file.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

I used the uninstall .bin that was included in the gzip I originally downloaded, but the update still didn't take. When I get home tonight, I'll try the uninstaller at the site you linked me to.

I didn't delete the screen_savers folder before trying to install the new update. Could that be the problem?

Also, if I'm able to update my Kindle, will using the screensaver hack at the site you linked me to give me custom screensavers while keeping PDF support and increased battery life?
Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I used the uninstall .bin that was included in the gzip I originally downloaded, but the update still didn't take. When I get home tonight, I'll try the uninstaller at the site you linked me to.

I didn't delete the screen_savers folder before trying to install the new update. Could that be the problem?

Also, if I'm able to update my Kindle, will using the screensaver hack at the site you linked me to give me custom screensavers while keeping PDF support and increased battery life?
You will not be able to install the 2.3 update with the screensaver hack on your Kindle (there is no need to delete you "screen_savers" folder).

Would you please tell me what the current version number of your Kindle is and where you downloaded the screensaver hack you installed (a link to it if you can)?
Advert
Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

My Kindle is version 2.2.1. I used the unistaller .bin in the package found in this thread. I'm not sure where I got the original installer, but I'm fairly certain it was the same package. I have another screensaver hack tar saved on my computer called "screensaverhack-0.1.tar" and there's a possibility it was this one I installed. I can't test it out yet, unfortunately, as I don't have my cable with me.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

The 0.1.tar.gz should be the one that you installed and used the uninstaller from, if you have Kindle 2 International. Have you read through this troubleshooting thread by jyavenard.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

There's another tar I have called "screensaverhack-k2i-o.1". Could this be it? I'll try them both when I get home.

And in the troubleshooting thread it said "TBD", so...yeah.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
There's another tar I have called "screensaverhack-k2i-o.1". Could this be it? I'll try them both when I get home.

And in the troubleshooting thread it said "TBD", so...yeah.
That should be the same one I wrote, I was just too lazy to write out the whole file name.

I would suggest you post in the jyavenard thread since he created this version of the hack and has been trying to help people with various update problems.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

Well, I have it working now. Is it safe to reinstall the screensaver hack?
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Well, I have it working now. Is it safe to reinstall the screensaver hack?
Congratulations! Yep, just make sure you use designed for the one for the 2.3 update. It will use the "screen_saver" folder you already have on your Kindle so you don't have to re-add your images.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Dr. Wily
We Are In Control

Fabulous! Thank you for all your help, Ms. Daffy!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I didn't do anything. You did all the work.