Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
meisterz
meisterz began at the beginning.

Device: TH55
Get 505 for $198? or wait?

Hey guys, I keep seeing the 505 on clearance at Target for $198. Should I just get it now, or do you think I could get a better deal closer to the holidays?
meisterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I would get it. I don't think they'll lower the price again.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterz View Post
Hey guys, I keep seeing the 505 on clearance at Target for $198. Should I just get it now, or do you think I could get a better deal closer to the holidays?
Does the price end in a four, like $198.94? If so this used to be an indicator that an item was marked as low as they were going to mark it. Of course that was a looong time ago when I worked there right after high school.

If it were me I wouldn't wait to long to possibly save another few dollars, they're likely to sell out soon I would think.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Great price!

The Target store where I live still has their very last 505 on the shelf for full price.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike_gc View Post
The Target store where I live still has their very last 505 on the shelf for full price.
I've seen that. I think someone must of bled all Targets in Houston.

I'd say GO FOR IT!

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-08-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Grab it. It is a great price and you get so much more than you would with a 300.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
meisterz
meisterz began at the beginning.

Device: TH55
Alright, you've convinced me! Thanks.
meisterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
gatorgirl2001
gatorgirl2001 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
My Target closest to me has 2 in stock still at $238. The one 4 miles further has had it at $198 for 2 weeks, but they were sold out (still on display). I would grab it!
gatorgirl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I just scored one today (gift for my mom) for $195.98 sticker price at Target. Get 'em while you can--I like the 505 better thn any of the newer offerings, for a 6" screen. (I do like the 300 with its 5" screen too!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
ya this is as low as it'll get. They'll be out of stock most likely by the holidays and even then I don't think they'd drop the price since it's already on clearance... but you probably got it by now. lol
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #11
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
FYI Target clearance drops: 15%, 30%, 50%, 75%, 90%, then to salvage. So the question is do you think the reader will on the shelf when it hits a lower price point. It's a game I play all the time. One end run if they have multiples is to buy one, but don't open it. Wait a couple weeks for the next reduction round and if they have it buy it again and return the one one you bought earlier (still unopened). That way if they do sell out you still have one.

I've HEARD that Costco is selling the 505 for $179, but haven't actually witnessed one there. I know they sold the 500 when the 505 first came out. If you have a Costco membership or know someone who does it might be worth checking out. If you don't have a membership you can check out the inventory by going in the out. If you don't see a display ask at the electronics cage at the front.

Alternatively, Best Buy will have the 300 on sale this week for $225 w/ cover and $25 Sony e-library GC. Personally I think the 505 has better ergonomics.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec2 View Post
FYI Target clearance drops: 15%, 30%, 50%, 75%, 90%, then to salvage. So the question is do you think the reader will on the shelf when it hits a lower price point. It's a game I play all the time. One end run if they have multiples is to buy one, but don't open it. Wait a couple weeks for the next reduction round and if they have it buy it again and return the one one you bought earlier (still unopened). That way if they do sell out you still have one.

I've HEARD that Costco is selling the 505 for $179, but haven't actually witnessed one there. I know they sold the 500 when the 505 first came out. If you have a Costco membership or know someone who does it might be worth checking out. If you don't have a membership you can check out the inventory by going in the out. If you don't see a display ask at the electronics cage at the front.

Alternatively, Best Buy will have the 300 on sale this week for $225 w/ cover and $25 Sony e-library GC. Personally I think the 505 has better ergonomics.
The top righthand of the red Target sticker indicates the % discount. This discount is 30%. Target normally takes markdowns on Sunday evenings, after closing.

Check Monday mornings for greater discounts. I'm hoping for my local Target to have 50% + this monday...they currently have two 505's on the shelf.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Grab it. It is a great price and you get so much more than you would with a 300.
Really? How much more? (Not that I don't like the 505!) You get a 1" bigger screen (at the expense of portability). You get an mp3 player (which I *never* used), and memory card slots. OTOH, on the 300 you get twice as much internal memory, so the memory card thing is something I will definitely never need.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Check Monday mornings for greater discounts. I'm hoping for my local Target to have 50% + this monday...they currently have two 505's on the shelf.
Please report back if they do increase the discount! (So I can check out the local store...)
Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I say buy it. I bought a second one at $239 and there are none left 'round here that I know of.

I believe the 505 is a better reader for different reasons then either the 300 or the 600, but it depends on your usage.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote