Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Angry Careful with B&N Classics...

I just went to B&N and downloaded three of their classics. On the page it says 0.00 but when I got the "thank you for your order" page, it charged me $1.99 for each one.

I contacted CS and they said it could take up to an hour to "show up" on my accnt. So now I need to wait and remember to contact them! I looked at the B&N Classics section and there are several showing as "Free". Be careful! They may not be.
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
I never bothered with their "free" offers since they made me jump through all kinds of hoops. Why do I need to add a credit card to my account if I want to download a free book? Guess now we know.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The credit card number and your name are part of their DRM scheme, just as with EREADER at Fictionwise (it's why they bought them, to purchase the DRM scheme).

But, BN has a horrible record of charging for free books - they use two databases and they can't seem to keep them in sync.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I never bothered with their "free" offers since they made me jump through all kinds of hoops. Why do I need to add a credit card to my account if I want to download a free book? Guess now we know.
R, I have avoided registering with B&N because of their requirements.

Now I am glad I did!!
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess if I need one of the free clasics I will go to Project Gutenberg.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Sorry you ran into this.

B&N have a horrible habit of having special promotional pages which say that a book is free, but not updating them for a couple of hours after the book becomes non-free.

So if you click a "Free" link from the aggregate promo page after the offer expires, you get charged and you don't even get the "do you really want to buy this" warning that I've heard you're normally supposed to get with pay books.

This is why I always make a point of loading up every individual book description page to see that it actually says 0.00 before I click.

I seriously hate 1-click buying, and incompetent applications of like B&N's don't help.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I guess if I need one of the free clasics I will go to Project Gutenberg.
Or here. The books in the MR library are much nicer than those I've gotten from PG. All have been nicely formatted and clean.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
@drake: one-click buying makes me nervous, actually, but amazon doesn't offer me any other option either when it comes to ebooks D:
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
True, but the chances of a price change with amazon is less (although it does occur). With Amazon, though, getting a refund is quick and cheerfully done, with no questions. And you don't need to call only during business hours, only if not downloaded and stay on hold a couple of hours to get it taken care of (all of which are common with B&N). I've had one or two issues at Kobo - there, you just email into a black hole (over and over) and maybe it gets taken care of and maybe not, but you never even get a reply email in between the auto-response and the final resolution.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Michael Wallace
Writer
Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.Michael Wallace is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle/Nook
I really hope that B&N works on some of these aspects of customer service. I like Amazon, but there needs to be a viable alternative and sometimes I feel like B&N is intent on shooting themselves in the foot. They don't want to go the way of Borders.
Michael Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wallace View Post
I really hope that B&N works on some of these aspects of customer service. I like Amazon, but there needs to be a viable alternative and sometimes I feel like B&N is intent on shooting themselves in the foot. They don't want to go the way of Borders.
It's really sad, The B&N site has always caused me to shiver. If one thing I thought Borders did right it is their site; Its lot easier to navigate and you know what you're getting into.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Hmm....never ran into this. I've always found it very user friendly, just click buy, go to your NookLibrary from the website and download...even before it says "shipped" it's there.

I'll be on the lookout for this though, everything that has been free for me, has been free.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
What I don't like about B&N is once you add your CC there is no way to remove it on their site that I can tell. Amazon will let you remove your CC at anytime. So does Kobo.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
What I don't like about B&N is once you add your CC there is no way to remove it on their site that I can tell. Amazon will let you remove your CC at anytime. So does Kobo.
I have the same problem. Anyone know how to remove a credit card from your bn.com account?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
To delete your credit card:

1. Click My Account.
2. Click Manage credit cards
3. Click on credit card you wish to delete.
4. Click delete this card.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote