Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #61
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I cannot convert comics. I am running Ubuntu Jaunty with the latest version of Calibre. When I try to convert a comic (cbz or cbr) I get the following or similar:
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (u'Wolverine_66_-_Old_Man_Logan_1')

Convert book 1 of 1 (u'Wolverine_66_-_Old_Man_Logan_1')
InputFormatPlugin: Comic Input running on /home/luqman/Ebooks/Unknown/Wolverine_66_-_Old_Man_Logan_1 (202)/Wolverine_66_-_Old_Man_Logan_1 - Unknown.cbr
Archive: /home/luqman/Ebooks/Unknown/Wolverine_66_-_Old_Man_Logan_1 (202)/Wolverine_66_-_Old_Man_Logan_1 - Unknown.cbr
Found comic pages...
Wolverine_66_DCP_001.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_002.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_003.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_004.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_005.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_006.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_007.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_008.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_009.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_010.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_011-012.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_013.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_014.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_015.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_016.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_017.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_018.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_019.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_020.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_021.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_022.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_023-024.jpg
Wolverine_66_DCP_025.jpg
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/tmp/init.py", line 45, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 90, in main
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 19, in gui_convert
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 717, in run
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/customize/conversion.py", line 208, in __call__
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/comic/input.py", line 394, in convert
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/comic/input.py", line 359, in get_pages
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/comic/input.py", line 257, in process_pages
Exception: Failed to process comic:

File "/tmp/init.py", line 45, in <module>
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 90, in main
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/ebooks/comic/input.py", line 192, in render_pages
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/utils/PythonMagickWand.py", line 112, in __enter__
File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/utils/PythonMagickWand.py", line 101, in initialize
RuntimeError: Failed to load ImageMagick: /usr/lib/libMagickCore.so.1: undefined symbol: gzopen64
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #62
Iankilmister
Iankilmister began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Ive been converting some comics to lrf without any problem, but suddenly it gives me this error with some archives:

I can access the archive with winrar and visualize it in a reader, so it seems to be ok. The archive is a CBR

Convertir el libro 1 de 1 (u'Berserk v4 c1')
InputFormatPlugin: Comic Input running on C:\Biblioteca Calibre\Desconocido\Berserk v4 c1 (339)\Berserk v4 c1 - Desconocido.cbr
File "worker.py", line 103, in <module>
File "worker.py", line 90, in main
File "calibre\gui2\convert\gui_conversion.pyo", line 19, in gui_convert
File "calibre\ebooks\conversion\plumber.pyo", line 717, in run
File "calibre\customize\conversion.pyo", line 208, in __call__
File "calibre\ebooks\comic\input.pyo", line 394, in convert
File "calibre\ebooks\comic\input.pyo", line 344, in get_pages
File "calibre\ebooks\comic\input.pyo", line 24, in extract_comic
File "calibre\__init__.pyo", line 189, in extract
File "calibre\libunrar.pyo", line 175, in extract
calibre.libunrar.UnRARException: C:\Biblioteca Calibre\Desconocido\Berserk v4 c1 (339)\Berserk v4 c1 - Desconocido.cbr is not a RAR archive.
Iankilmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 AM   #63
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I've had that sometimes; try unrar/unzip to a folder, then zip the folder again, rename it to file.cbz and try converting. In extreme cases I had to rename the files contained in the zip/rar to get it to convert.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #64
Iankilmister

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
I've had that sometimes; try unrar/unzip to a folder, then zip the folder again, rename it to file.cbz and try converting. In extreme cases I had to rename the files contained in the zip/rar to get it to convert.
Worked perfectly that way.
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@luqmaninbmore: looks like some dependency is missing from your system. Do you have a binary install of calibre?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #66
Iankilmister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@luqmaninbmore: looks like some dependency is missing from your system. Do you have a binary install of calibre?
Nope, Installed it from here http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_windows

and Im running Window XP on that computer.
Seems to be something with the compresion on some archives that makes calibre give an error.

The original archives CBR were compresed with zip. I used winrar to make the CRB archives again and works perfect.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 AM   #67
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Yep, I followed the binary install instructions for linux. The weird thing is that the packages for ImageMagick are installed.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #68
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Yep, I followed the binary install instructions for linux. The weird thing is that the packages for ImageMagick are installed.
Try deleting /opt/calibre/libz.so.1
Old 09-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #69
xabila
xabila began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Hi, i love calibre and my PRS to read manga.

I was wondering what is the standard for cbz file.
It seems that when it's a list of jpg for *000.jpg to *nnn.jpg it's ok.
But some of my manga are ordered by chapter on the cbz.
I'v got a chapter1/0 to 100.jpg, and chaptern/0 to n.jpg

Is there any program to convert my cbz to a correct one, because right now it's ordered in calibre like that : chapter1/0.jpg chapter2/0.jpg chaptern/0.jpg ... chapter1/n.jpg chaptern/n.jpg etc...

Thanks
xabila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Unfortunately, there is not standard for cbz. You can just unzip the file and use windows explorer (or whatever to pu it in the correct order. re zip it and rename to cbz
Old 09-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #71
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabila View Post
Is there any program to convert my cbz to a correct one, because right now it's ordered in calibre like that : chapter1/0.jpg chapter2/0.jpg chaptern/0.jpg ... chapter1/n.jpg chaptern/n.jpg etc
Like Kovid said, unzip and do a mass rename, then zip again. Linux has plenty of commandline tools (like the powerful rename command) already, for windows I recommend the excellent program "THE rename" which allows mass renaming of files based on arbitrary rules. It is very convenient.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #72
xabila
xabila began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Ok thanks, i did it with linux :

#!/bin/bash
name=test;
mypwd=`pwd`;
mkdir $mypwd/$name
cpt=0;
for i in `find . -name *.jpg`
do
cpt=`expr $cpt + 1`
cpt3d=`printf '%03d' $cpt`
echo "$i is $cpt3d"
cp $i $mypwd/$name/$name_$cpt3d.jpg
done

Thanks
xabila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #73
Traclo
Traclo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
Sizes?

First... calibre is vastly superior to other options for my ebook reader. So thanks.

The one gripe I have is with the conversion of comics/manga into epub. Every time that I do it the files double in size. I begin with 2 Mb of images in a .cbr and end with 5. I don't understand the reasons why this would happen (isn't the resolution being reduced?), but would love if someone were to enlighten me.

Or at least suggest a method or form of conversion that doesn't take all the space on my reader on one series.

Thanks in advance.
Traclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:56 PM   #74
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traclo View Post
First... calibre is vastly superior to other options for my ebook reader. So thanks.

The one gripe I have is with the conversion of comics/manga into epub. Every time that I do it the files double in size. I begin with 2 Mb of images in a .cbr and end with 5. I don't understand the reasons why this would happen (isn't the resolution being reduced?), but would love if someone were to enlighten me.

Or at least suggest a method or form of conversion that doesn't take all the space on my reader on one series.

Thanks in advance.
If you do it from the command line, you might try the "--no-process" flag. I had similar problems b/c calibre's default was to convert jpgs into png (I think ... might be the other way around). The default re-encode parameters resulted in a bigger image.

There's probably a --no-process option in the gui too.

You could probably also tune the re-encode parameters, but I figured less lossy processing = better quality, even if png is a preferable format.
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #75
Traclo
Traclo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
Awesome! I didn't think to look for a way to turn off comic processing (what all that fancy stuff is called in the GUI) because I usually convert in bulk, and you can't turn it off in bulk (unless I'm missing something again).
But yeah, this is great. I wonder what the differences in looks are between processed and unprocessed.

Just to validate my choice, compare the sizes of one with processing and without. With processing it was 4.2 Mb, without it was 2.4 Mb. Halved the size! Huge difference when I'm loading 60 chapters on and I have no expandable memory.

Last edited by Traclo; 10-14-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Traclo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbz, comic